Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new oil air shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 08:54 AM
jbrelr21
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new oil air shocks

anyone know a good way to get oil in the rear air shocks?
my friend joe swapped with a forum member for his longer ones and oil ran out in shipping. he called last night and said syringe method i suggested was not working.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:06 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrelr21
my friend joe swapped with a forum member for his longer ones and oil ran out in shipping. he called last night and said syringe method i suggested was not working.
I'm a lazy *** so what I do is I take the shocks off, mount one upside down and lean on the back of the seat pushing down and squeeze all the old oil out. do the same with the other shock. Then mount both and replace the oil either with a syringe or tube and funnel. Its not rocket science but I've also had trouble hitting the toilet after too many baileys creme and coffee, so talk him through it again.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:11 AM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have changed oil in HD air shocks many times using a turkey injector syringe with the tip of the needle broken off to open the hole up a lil. It is still a lil bit of a slow process but it has never failed to work. I stick the tip of the needle in the rubber line attached to the air shock. It fits perfect & makes a good seal.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:21 AM
DHubbs
Road Warrior

I found an easy way to get the oil out is to remove both shocks & connect all the hoses up on the work bench. Pump the shocks up to 25 or 30 psi with your hand pump. Clamp the shock you are wanting to empty upside down in a vise. Clamp off the hose going to the opposite shock. Remove the hose of the shock in the vise at the first connection, leaving a length of hose on the shock. Stick the hose in a graduated container so you can measure the oil as it comes out of the shock. It will be under pressure but it will not make a mess because the opening in the oil line is so small. Re install new oil as I posted above.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:27 AM
Bmusg
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrelr21
Mity Vac brake bleeder in pump mode will do it in about 5 minutes. Also works well for pulling the oil out.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:52 AM
DHubbs
Road Warrior

Yea, I bet that would work good.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:04 AM
jbrelr21
Cruiser

we will be mounting new shocks sat thanks for all the suggestions!

Old 02-12-2015, 10:28 AM
05softailnc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bmusg
Mity Vac brake bleeder in pump mode will do it in about 5 minutes. Also works well for pulling the oil out.
I did that after reading about it on here. Worked great. Mighty Vac was around $30 and I have it for doing brake work on cars & bikes in the future.

BTW, I changed to 10w Bel-Ray suspension fluid. Made a big difference. Much better ride now with less air pressure.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:34 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Where did the oil leak out of? Hopefully the air line hole. If it leaked from another location the shock probably isn't usable.
A vacuum as suggested works great. I've done several sets.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:27 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,238 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmusg
I've done a few sets like this myself. I settled on 10 ozs of 10wt and 2.5 ozs of 15wt. That combination has a very smooth ride to me.

2010 Limited with some stuff!!

Quick Reply: new oil air shocks