Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you see the new Screaming Eagle 120 ST motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 10:22 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

I am curious if the bottom end is any stronger than a normal twin cam? If not, I would go with an S&S that has been built to handle the extra torque. They are warrantied as well...

Last edited by Northbound Southerner; 02-14-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:44 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Ok no ones mentioned it but how about the new S&S 143? Now lets all bitch and cry because we all want one lol.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:31 PM
rellim_63
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
Ok no ones mentioned it but how about the new S&S 143? Now lets all bitch and cry because we all want one lol.
It was mentioned about 4 times so far.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Joker65
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverEagle50
Am I wrong here? It seems that some want this 120 Street motor to be a monster just because it is bigger. To me they are just adding a new offering of motor size choice.

So now the choice is: 103 with 70hp/90 tq, 110 with ??hp/100ish tq (I'm not for sure of these numbers off the top of my head), and now the 120 with 106hp/117tq. And these are all off the show room floor stock numbers.

There are a bunch of us that aren't happy with the power of the 103. We change the exhaust, AC, and cams and feel all better because we have taken all the EPA restraints out of the formula. So why wouldn't we just feel like we have to do the same for this 120ST motor? I'm sure if we did, we would see the same 25% gain in HP and 16% gain in TQ.
If it came out to those numbers, it would then be: 133hp/135tq. How would that sound?

And yes, you can take a 103 and add say a Fuel Moto power upgrade and get to the numbers this stock 120ST has. Would probably be as dependable or maybe even more.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:50 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
Because not all dealers will work on a bike if it has a 120R in it, I know because it happened to me when I moved from Louisiana to NC. The dealer here in town won't inspect/change the oil/ install tires etc, ect on my bike in their shop. I have to drive to a dealer 2hrs away to have any engine work done is I want a dealer to do it. Luckily I do my own work, but I would hate to be out on the road and break down and find out the the local dealer won't touch my bike.
Man your local dealer is an idiot. Won't even take your money for tire changes? That takes stupid to a whole new level.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Bmusg
I think any of us would gladly take if it came in the bike. As a crate motor, I guess I don't see the market for a weaker version of the 120R. Seems a lot of cost and trouble for 107 build numbers.
This is all a matter of horses for courses. We don't all want a motor that is tuned to its limit. My 107" has a low CR and 'poor' numbers by comparison with some of the more highly tuned versions, but is great to ride.

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
That would be a nice deal. The 120st, with a little love would be a fun motor. S&S has their 124 c.i. and i think the 143 would be kick azzzz
Like H-D with this new 'touring' version of their 120, let us not forget that S&S also sell a low CR touring version of their 124". That would be my choice - unless of course S&S introduce a 143 in 'touring' tune!

I find it amusing that as soon as a new engine sticks it's head above the parapet someone demands to tune the nuts off it. Some of us are more easily pleased!

Old 02-15-2015, 09:48 AM
HFS
Club Member
Received 340 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
Because not all dealers will work on a bike if it has a 120R in it, I know because it happened to me when I moved from Louisiana to NC.
That's crazy. I mean money is money. and they can smile, as they can go "oopsie - no warranty!!"

I'm still not switching to Indian or BMW.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:14 PM
VibratingPotato
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

106hp / 117tq?
I haven't seen one yet, but I bet it makes a lot bigger numbers than that.
Even if a 103 made the same numbers, a 120 should have a lot more "area under the curve".

Old 02-15-2015, 05:47 PM
Bmusg
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
This is all a matter of horses for courses. We don't all want a motor that is tuned to its limit. My 107" has a low CR and 'poor' numbers by comparison with some of the more highly tuned versions, but is great to ride.

Like H-D with this new 'touring' version of their 120, let us not forget that S&S also sell a low CR touring version of their 124". That would be my choice - unless of course S&S introduce a 143 in 'touring' tune!

I find it amusing that as soon as a new engine sticks it's head above the parapet someone demands to tune the nuts off it. Some of us are more easily pleased!
Yep to each his own. I personally dont consider a 107 making 105/115 to have "the nuts tuned off of it" but some may. The charts Ive seen on the 124LC are legit 120ish square type numbers. Comes down to hp/$ while still being reliable, for me. The warranty, dealer installation and the large number of folks that like to overpay will sell a few of these things. Still looks like a gift to the S&S sales team to me.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:29 AM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I think the new 120ST motor is ideal for a touring bike, lots of low RPM torque, any manufacturer is going to build in some restraints to keep their motors alive during the warranty period. The evolution of the MOCO engines have kept us wanting more each year, remember when 74" was huge.

Quick Reply: Do you see the new Screaming Eagle 120 ST motor?