Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Vegas trip

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:13 PM
kjc
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Advice on Vegas trip

Need some help from the Vegas "locals" here.We're headed to Vegas the first week of March and renting bikes for 3 days during our stay.We are planning on riding to the Hoover dam,head to the Grand canyon south rim via Route 66 and overnight there.Then the next day head up to Zion via the 89 or 89A and stay in Springdale overnight.On the third day plans are to head back to Vegas via the Valley of Fire.
Rideplanner estimates 4-5 hrs riding per day which is fine.Question is,is it going to be safe riding these areas in early March and what can we expect weather wise?If the weather is too cold in these areas,any other recommended routes in the area?Any "must see" attractions that you recommend?
Weather Network gives OK weather during this time but I'd like the advice of locals if possible.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:51 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

That time of year can bring any weather to Vegas. It is also convention season. Here is a site with historical temps. Looks like mostly mid sixites in early March.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

Old 02-10-2015, 06:56 PM
Markallamerican
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Snow at the Grand Canyon is very possible in March.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:14 PM
baldilox
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have done valley of fire and red rocks canyon both are amazing!!!

Old 02-10-2015, 09:21 PM
AGFazio
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know where you're renting from, but I heard that Enterprise is trying out motorcycle rentals in Vegas for 75.00 a day. Worth checking into.

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental...y=US&mobi=true

Old 02-10-2015, 09:37 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

so you come down from Hoover to Kingman, stop in at Mother Road for a Tshirt if you like...pick up 66 and it's a pleasant ride to Seligman where you'll jump on I40.
Exit at Williams- there is a Best Western There ( Hog disc.), but if you can, shoot up North for Tusayan, the town at the South Gate of the Park.
the best western there has a bowling alley in teh basement, most rooms have external doors so good for parking.
The BW has better food that the "cowboy" joints up the block. There is also a Dennys

long sleeves are always good as the dry desert air wicks moisture from exposed skin.
black leathers don;t work so well as the black heats up like a bbq- so lighter colors.
I wear a HD switchback- this pic was taken end of October on Rt 66 ..80 in the day, 40 at night. ( most of your route will be mile + in elevation

local website cyclerides.com has a dayride section.
they have some great routes and pics of Northern AZ etc.

NV you will need a helmet over 50 cc. AZ and UT you'll be able to make a choice.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-10-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:59 AM
kjc
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Mkguitar, that's my plan.Already booked @ the Best Western,Tusayan and @ the Hampton in Springdale,UT.I can cancel my rooms but I'd really like to do this route as it's on my bucket list.Renting from LV Harley and I assume it's good riding season as almost all bikes are booked up.Just concerned about the cold and getting snow.
We always wear our helmets and we're bringing our cold weather gear,leather jackets,insulated pants and heated jacket liners but I'm hoping that we won't need them.

Last edited by kjc; 02-11-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:05 AM
usraptor
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might try heading West and check out Furnace Creek in Death Valley. There are also numerous other places to visit/see in Death Valley

Old 02-11-2015, 11:14 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

March could be warm- rule of thumb that GC is about 20º cooler that PHX...so consider that we are at 80º this week.
the dry air doesn;t hold heat so a real marked difference between daytime and night temps and even sun/shade temps.

leather could be overkill- the black will heat up in the sun and you'll be sweating inside...you may not be comfy unless they are unzipped and flapping.

carry lots of water- I drink a liter an hour when riding and often pedialyte at gas stops (or gatorade, but pedialyte is better). sunscreen everything

Whichever route and pacing you do, You'll love.

Too bad you won't get to Monument Valley- from tusayan and the Grand Canyon...you'd get to monument valley just before sundown.
San Juan inn in Mexican Hat is a good stop.

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-11-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:42 PM
sixgun95
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Good stuff here. To answer your question, the weather can be short sleeve or parka and snow. Watch it closely and plan accordingly. In your favor, the wx has been grat most of the winter so you should be good.

Quick Reply: Advice on Vegas trip