Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Vegas trip

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015 | 12:45 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 583 Likes on 219 Posts

Man, Im not sure how you are going to get to Zion from the South Rim but that could be one helluva ride. Weather in this time varies so I would pack a range of clothes to keep you comfortable. But I promise you this, it will be a great ride. I love Zion and I love the 1-mile long tunnel. MY suggestion is to go through it once, make a u-turn and do it again. The plus side is that you get to make a second u-turn so that you are going the original direction again. Seriously... It's a mile long tunnel... rental bike or not... it's 3 miles of tunnel!

The North rim is usually closed until May

You mentioned 89A which the Arizona of Transportation has reported a sink hole in recently... Just check status if you are in this area and when road repairs will be complete. I believe this is the latest on it : http://azdot.gov/media/blog/posts/20...hole-on-sr-89a
It seems to be fixed, but you never know when these things will open up again. Just stay informed.

The North Rim is closed until May but Zion, Duck Creak, Brian Head is a nice ride into the higher altitudes, but I am not sure how cold it will be during that time of year... again.. be prepared.

Rosies Den is just inside of AZ as you leave Las Vegas over the dam, it's a neat little biker bar. Many locals from both Las Vegas and AZ go there.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rosie...92907394085167

As others mentioned, Kingman is a good place to pick up Route-66 and don't skip Seligman.

Last edited by Dr. Tiki; 02-12-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-12-2015 | 01:10 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

The 89A closure/sink hole is South of Flagstaff and North of Sedona in Oak creek canyon- at the switchbacks.

so not on his proposed route.

according to adot today- 1 lane open with flagman/person

mike

Old 02-12-2015 | 01:14 AM
Billman812
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

It is a good season to ride that loop. As others, can be any weather so layer and be prep'd to change as elevation and temps change
Old 66 from kingman to selligman is a nice add as is the rim loop from the visitor center at the canyon. If it's open, North rim won't be out of the way on your way back to vegas either.
Duck Creek/Brian Head will be cold with potential for wet or icy roads in March
Enjoy

Last edited by Billman812; 02-12-2015 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-12-2015 | 11:59 PM
Desertwndrr
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

North Rim is closed until mid-May. The OP is looking at a south rim visit. It will still be pretty cool even though we have had an unseasonably warm winter, relatively speaking.

Avoid Cedar mountain / Duck Creek (14). I won't go up there until May at the earliest. Too cold. When coming back up through 89A and turning north onto 89 in Kanab, you will then make a left at Mt. Carmel Junction towards Zion. Don't go further north to Tod's Junction/Duck Creek (14). Do not take the left at Fredonia(389) which is just south of Kanab. Instead take 89A, through to 89 at Kanab, to 9 at Mt Carmel and that will take you straight into Zion.

Highway 89 south of Page Az is still messed up as far as I know so you will not be able to go through Page. Turn west on 89A about 20 miles south of Page. When crossing the Colorado river there at the Navajo Bridge at Marble Canyon, pull off and stop to take a walk across the bridge. Endangered California Condors are often there in the rocks. You may get lucky to see them.

Zion is fantastic right now. The north leg is open to traffic as well. Take advantage of it and ride all the way to the Narrows. There is a mile long walkway that is well worth the trek!

Be sure to stop off in Cameron for a Navajo Taco. You won't be disappointed. I'd also recommend that you stop off at Jacobs Lake for gas....and a cookie.

When heading back to Vegas from Zion, drop down at Overton and do the Valley of Fire loop and ride the rest of the way into Vegas through the Lake Mead Rec Area.

Weather should be fine. Nice in the lower elevations, chilly in the higher elevations. Plan to have warm clothing as you will be riding from 2000-10000 and back.

I know the area pretty well as I've lived here most of my life. PM me and I'll give you my number. Feel free to call for directions, or recommendations, or if you have issues and need a hand. I'm happy to help.

Last edited by Desertwndrr; 02-13-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-13-2015 | 07:47 AM
kjc
|
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the advice Desertwndrer,
Our plans are to leave LV Harley @9am,ride to Hoover dam.Then on to Kingman and hop on Route 66 to Williams,then overnight in Tusayan.
Next day,ride the 64 to the 89 and join the 89a to Kenab.Then take route 9 through Zion and overnight in Springdale.
Next day ride through St George to Overton and follow Valley of Fire and Lake Mead back to Boulder City,if time permits we'll do Red rock Canyon before bringing the bikes back.
Harley rideplanner estimates this as 250 miles per day average,so it should give us enough leisure time @each stop,hopefully.
My main concern is riding in snow,cold,to a certain degree,is bearable.but being from Canada,I know all about snow and would like to avoid it as much as possible!

Old 02-13-2015 | 08:25 AM
Desertwndrr
Tourer

Should be a great ride.

Unless you are going for the nostalgia of Route 66, 89A through Jerome and Sedona is a much better ride. As discussed, Oak Creek Canyon has some damage that needs to be worked on, but I think that it's not supposed to be totally closed until June. Worst case you can hop over to 17 and get back to Flagstaff.

Old 02-13-2015 | 08:58 AM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I plan to make the GC & Vegas trip June from Ga. Thanks for the good info here! I'm lookin forward to the beautiful sites. Planed on ridin on to the west coast, looks like there is gonna be alot to see before we get there.

Old 02-13-2015 | 11:11 PM
Desertwndrr
Tourer

Originally Posted by DHubbs
I plan to make the GC & Vegas trip June from Ga. Thanks for the good info here! I'm lookin forward to the beautiful sites. Planed on ridin on to the west coast, looks like there is gonna be alot to see before we get there.
By June it has warmed up enough to hit some really cool sites. Vegas will be warm as will anything in the lower elevations. North Rim, Bryce, highway 12 will be fantastic to ride.

Old 02-14-2015 | 09:30 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

You're lucky to ride out there, Mike. I've ridden all over that area. Loved Rt12 from Zion to Capital Reef then down to Monument Valley. It's like another world.

Old 02-14-2015 | 10:21 AM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds like a nice ride.
Bill

Quick Reply: Advice on Vegas trip