Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to burn it to he ground.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 10:19 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Your problem is obvious. It's the green plug in your TBW harness. Betcha money.

2010 Limited with some stuff!!
I don't know how obvious it is but that green plug is a real good place to start looking. They are notorious for being the source of trouble when people swap bars and move wires around. Seems like the have a tendency to break.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:34 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by glider1993
Thats why i cut that little MF out, throwed it down in the woods. I couldnt get mine thru the bars and it keep coming undone too. SOLDER and HEAT SHRINK. Save the $100 for other dodads.
^^^this

Old 02-12-2015, 09:28 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

I cut out the green plug and soldered everything. I bought the extension kit too but it was a waste of money because they didn't fit that tight so I soldered them together also. I was ready to throw mine in the pond. Hope I never have to pull those wires again.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:11 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Ha I just went through this on Monday. Green plug separated during the pull- even though it was taped. Looking at it, it seems it would be much more likely to separate pulling towards the throttle than towards the headlight, since the plug on the throttle side fits into a shell on the headlight side.
Why Harley didnt install that disconnect in an accessible location rather than in the middle of the damn bar is a mystery.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:16 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,003 Likes on 4,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Loc_Tite
Ha I just went through this on Monday. Green plug separated during the pull- even though it was taped. Looking at it, it seems it would be much more likely to separate pulling towards the throttle than towards the headlight, since the plug on the throttle side fits into a shell on the headlight side.
Why Harley didnt install that disconnect in an accessible location rather than in the middle of the damn bar is a mystery.
Someone needs to add an attachment of the plug. I am assuming it does not have one of the snap locks on it like you sometimes have to fight with just to get apart. Now you say it's in the middle of the bar. What bar? Are you talking inside the handle bars?

Old 02-12-2015, 12:57 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Someone needs to add an attachment of the plug. I am assuming it does not have one of the snap locks on it like you sometimes have to fight with just to get apart. Now you say it's in the middle of the bar. What bar? Are you talking inside the handle bars?
RIPSAW this is the culprit and she is a fragile little heifer. The biggest mistake people make when doing a bar upgrade is taking this green plug apart. Why not de-pin the connector at the end of the harness and then pull it out of the stock bars? You've gotta de-pin it anyway. In my experience with these green plugs, once you've taken it apart, its failure rate skyrockets. If your bound and damned determined to use it, don't take it apart and shrink wrap it with marine grade heat shrink. The marine grade has glue in it and will help to hold it together when pulling the wires through the bars.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:52 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,003 Likes on 4,194 Posts

I see. That's the connection if by chance the OEM throttle by wire controller goes bad. If that happens, can you pull the control out and unplug it without releasing the other end of the harness I assume is that larger black connector? Is that black wire your extension for apes or is that OEM? What does that plug to? What does that one black lead plug to? Long way from being up to speed on these modern bikes. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:08 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I see. That's the connection if by chance the OEM throttle by wire controller goes bad. If that happens, can you pull the control out and unplug it without releasing the other end of the harness I assume is that larger black connector? Is that black wire your extension for apes or is that OEM? What does that plug to? What does that one black lead plug to? Long way from being up to speed on these modern bikes. Thanks for the help.
Yes one could assume that's what that green connector is for, however the CVO models don't have that. Theirs are all one piece. The black extension is OEM. The shorter black lead is for heated grips. The heated grip module goes inside the left side of the handle bar and connects to the TBW with a harness and then to its power source.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:31 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

RIPSAW, The connector is in the middle of the brake side run of the handlebar on a stock, non-CVO tbw bike. The idea is that on a stock bike, you can pull the twist grip sensor out of the handlebars and with it, pull the wiring far enough to disconnect the green plug without having to de-pin the molex connector at the headlight side. Presumably, this was Harley engineering's way of saying we don't trust these things and we're hedging against twist grip sensor failure and possibly a recall. At least that's my guess.
The little green connector looks tiny until your running internal wiring in the bars- thus the "Screaming Eagle" twist grip sensor, which has a long enough uninterrupted length of wire to the molex connector at the headlight side without the dreaded green plug. The little green plug has a single pry-type lock that I doubt anyone could re-use without breaking, and to make it worse the tab that breaks is on the headlight side so you wind up tearing that down anyway which defeats the purpose of the idea of easy replacement.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:29 PM
glider1993
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cut connector off, Solder, heat shrink. end of story.

Quick Reply: Ready to burn it to he ground.