Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pak Ultra Brace...Worth $80 Bucks ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016 | 08:42 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

One of my favorite threads. Eglidegoodies is passing this overpriced part off as their own. It's nothing more than a knockoff of the original Harley design before the moco switched to that junk cable. This is a pic of my 35 year old original King Tour Pak. And look at the lid support. Humm, just like the one they are selling for $80. And still working flawlessly.

Attached Thumbnails Tour Pak Ultra Brace...Worth  Bucks ???-20161119_213448.jpg  
Old 11-19-2016 | 08:43 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
One of my favorite threads. Eglidegoodies is passing this overpriced part off as their own. It's nothing more than a knockoff of the original Harley design before the moco switched to that junk cable. This is a pic of my 35 year old original King Tour Pak. And look at the lid support. Humm, just like the one they are selling for $80. And still working flawlessly.
Ok, fine. Where else would you suggest someone who want to purchase one get it from?

Old 11-19-2016 | 08:56 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Ok, fine. Where else would you suggest someone who want to purchase one get it from?
Nowhere, it's the best design available. I'm not trying to talk people out of the part. Simply expressing that all eglidegoodies is selling is what already existed, and already works. And they seem to be passing it off as something THEY came up with. When the fact is, they stole a tried and tested product of the Shovelhead era bikes. And selling it for a BUNDLE, Nothing more.

Old 11-19-2016 | 09:06 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Eglidegoodies copies HD, CD copies HD - kuryakyn is one of the biggest copies out there... Many people copy each other - Many HD parts are made overseas and pass them off as HD - just a name...

I agree totally with Bikerlaw - this part and the orig part is MUCH better than that cable and I am betting HD did it because of cost??? I put off buying this for some time because of the cost, but finally just got it and they will discount shipping if you ask. Plus I also got one of the 'lift tabs' for the Rushmore tour pack - I do Not like holding the luggage rack as a handle and I wont just drop the lid... In fact I think Eglidegoodies lift tab is a Kuryakyn part??

Old 11-19-2016 | 10:26 PM
WB
Road Captain

This.... Boat gas lift support for storage lockers on bass boats.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/sierra...FdgDgQod2A4MXg

Last edited by WB; 11-19-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2016 | 06:36 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Nowhere, it's the best design available. I'm not trying to talk people out of the part. Simply expressing that all eglidegoodies is selling is what already existed, and already works. And they seem to be passing it off as something THEY came up with. When the fact is, they stole a tried and tested product of the Shovelhead era bikes. And selling it for a BUNDLE, Nothing more.
Stole. Interesting. If nobody else was making them, then I'm glad they "stole" it. And if its over priced and someone can offer it for cheaper, they will. Aint this a great country?

Old 11-20-2016 | 07:12 AM
tesnevo
Club Member

Originally Posted by Talldog
I really like the idea of the Ultra Brace for the Tour Pak, but I think it's way overpriced.

http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id40.html

Am I missing something here, or is it built well enough to support that kind of price?

I know they're a little different, but you can get a Lid Support Brace from the hardware Store for like 10 bucks.
Pricey, yes I no doubt agree. I have them now on both of my new FLHTKSE's and would never hesitate to recommend or buy another one if I needed to.
Looking at the failure rate of the plastic/nylon web retractable tether over the course of time since they came out in 2014, it was enough for me to get them. Price replacing the tourpack with a new one and 80.00 is cheap insurance.

Old 11-20-2016 | 07:57 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member

Overpriced? Expensive? Yeah maybe. But my only regret is debating the purchase for a year before I bought it. It's simple, solid, and works exactly as described. Particularly on trips when I open it it with a moderately sized bag strapped to the rack and walk away. You know when my riding buddy's are removing bags from their tour pak lids to get out a pair of sunglasses,,,,

Old 11-20-2016 | 10:21 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Duracell
Overpriced? Expensive? Yeah maybe. But my only regret is debating the purchase for a year before I bought it. It's simple, solid, and works exactly as described,,,,

Yep! That's what has me so baffled. Its the perfect part. The tether is a piece of junk that not only is a guaranteed to fail sooner or later, but when it does fail, it often destroys the very part its supposed to be helping..... the BOX! I hope enough people buy or source the metal bracket, that the MOCO stops using the string. But I wouldn't hold my breath. I suspect the MOCO see's damaged boxes and broken tethers as an endless income for the next few decades.

Old 11-20-2016 | 10:56 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by WB
This.... Boat gas lift support for storage lockers on bass boats.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/sierra...FdgDgQod2A4MXg
not sure how that would work. with the ultra brace, when the lid is closed, the two mount points are very close to each other. the gas piston would have to fold to do that. the only option to make that work would be to create new mount points on the tourpack for it, and why do that when there are already existing mount points made (or provided for)?

Quick Reply: Tour Pak Ultra Brace...Worth $80 Bucks ???