Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pak Ultra Brace...Worth $80 Bucks ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016 | 04:18 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

Seems like most everything from eglidegoodies is pretty expensive

Old 11-13-2016 | 05:30 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by just plain john
Seems like most everything from eglidegoodies is pretty expensive
$$$$ - Why, because they can, lol

kinda like my front fender tip led white light, Really - but I still bought it and CD filler lights for my rear bags,,, again, Really, but I still bought them, lol we could go on and on.

I would love to see a hinge that someone got at Lowes or Home Depot and made it work - I am sure it can be done.

Old 11-13-2016 | 07:29 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
where i live, the local hardware store was no help. so i just sucked it up and got the ultra brace.

is it pricey? sure it is. but it is a whole lot less that having to replace the tourpack bottom (esp. cvo ones) because of the stock wire broke.
That was my reasoning. A job, wife, 2 teenagers, no time to McGiver something, so I bought one a couple years ago and I am very happy with it.

Old 11-13-2016 | 07:57 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by Rustell
After almost losing a finger when the wind slams the lid shut... I got tired of that cable always being in the way. When you're in and out of the tourpak as much as I am, it's worth the money.
If the cable is in the way, how is the bracket not?

Old 11-18-2016 | 11:30 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Well I looked at a few of the 'suggestions' for other hinges and IF I had access to a machine shop or other type of tools - Maybe I would try and save a few $$ - Well, I don't - so I ordered the part from Eglidegoodies - emailed Patrick and got the same discount on shipping as told here - He was great and shipping was fast - it arrived and I had a few questions - He got right back to me and CS was great.

Now, I agree, its just a metal brace and looks pretty basic - After looking at it and the way the top of brace had a 20 degree offset and the bottom had a 5 degree offset - plus the brackets had little studs where the brace its self attached with wave washers. Like I said, IF I had access to a machine shop or some other type of set up to make these parts and make all the correct bends so the Lowes or Home Depot hinge would work...
Knowing me - trying to save the $$$ would some how end up costing me more, LOL.

In looking at the way HD uses either the Cable or the Strap - the Lid HAS to go Past vertical and use the weight of the lid to PULL on the cable or strap.

This new Hinge set up Stops the lid BEFORE vertical and holds it Solid.

The wife ask - will there ever be a need to have the lid open further? I really do not ever see that need.

Since mine is a 2015 and HD uses the retractable strap - I left that in place - it is Not in the way at all. My 2004 used the cable which did get in the way often when closing - so if I were to put the hinge on that bike - I would remove the cable.

Bottom line - Its looks to be worth the cost. Hell, I have spent more on Bling, LOL that did nothing but look cool - This idea actually works as designed.

Old 11-19-2016 | 10:49 AM
bill from tn
Road Captain

Originally Posted by harley0711
Well I looked at a few of the 'suggestions' for other hinges and IF I had access to a machine shop or other type of tools - Maybe I would try and save a few $$ - Well, I don't - so I ordered the part from Eglidegoodies - emailed Patrick and got the same discount on shipping as told here - He was great and shipping was fast - it arrived and I had a few questions - He got right back to me and CS was great.

Now, I agree, its just a metal brace and looks pretty basic - After looking at it and the way the top of brace had a 20 degree offset and the bottom had a 5 degree offset - plus the brackets had little studs where the brace its self attached with wave washers. Like I said, IF I had access to a machine shop or some other type of set up to make these parts and make all the correct bends so the Lowes or Home Depot hinge would work...
Knowing me - trying to save the $$$ would some how end up costing me more, LOL.

In looking at the way HD uses either the Cable or the Strap - the Lid HAS to go Past vertical and use the weight of the lid to PULL on the cable or strap.

This new Hinge set up Stops the lid BEFORE vertical and holds it Solid.

The wife ask - will there ever be a need to have the lid open further? I really do not ever see that need.

Since mine is a 2015 and HD uses the retractable strap - I left that in place - it is Not in the way at all. My 2004 used the cable which did get in the way often when closing - so if I were to put the hinge on that bike - I would remove the cable.

Bottom line - Its looks to be worth the cost. Hell, I have spent more on Bling, LOL that did nothing but look cool - This idea actually works as designed.
I do have access to a machine shop but still ordered the ultra brace. It is pricey but it is oh so nice.

Like you mentioned, the lid doesn't have to go past vertical now so unless something comes undone it can't flop backward. I also kept the tether in place for a back up.
I reach in, pull the brace toward me and catch the lid as it starts to close. One handed operation.

Blue loctite will prevent most anything from vibrating loose.

Old 11-19-2016 | 10:54 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bill from tn
I do have access to a machine shop but still ordered the ultra brace. It is pricey but it is oh so nice.

Like you mentioned, the lid doesn't have to go past vertical now so unless something comes undone it can't flop backward. I also kept the tether in place for a back up.
I reach in, pull the brace toward me and catch the lid as it starts to close. One handed operation.

Blue loctite will prevent most anything from vibrating loose.
+1 on the Blue Loctite

Old 11-19-2016 | 02:48 PM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Old 11-19-2016 | 04:54 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

If one of the concerns is the possibility of the non-retractable tether breaking, then one could just replace the tether while doing a maintenance service at various mileage intervals.

53564-97 Flexible Tether, MSRP $3.50

Old 11-19-2016 | 05:39 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

The Home depot part looks close - however, missing the very important brackets that attach to the lid and bottom and the 5 & 20 degree bends... small but important..

Before I actually had this part on my bike - I was not all the big a fan - I mean, whats the big deal??

Now that I have it on - SO MUCH easier to open and close the lid and come on people, we throw $$$ at our bikes for some of the dumbest stuff, LOL... $80 for a part that actually makes something easier.... may not be for everyone but I am glad I got it..

The following 2 users liked this post by harley0711:
bill from tn (11-19-2016), skratch (11-19-2016)

Quick Reply: Tour Pak Ultra Brace...Worth $80 Bucks ???