Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate to dealer bash...but this is to much! long post

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 12:14 PM
Hogster 1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate to dealer bash...but this is to much! long post

I went to the HD dealer in Greenville SC a few months ago to get an engine temp sending unit for my 09 ultra. (you know the one that is in the back of the front head that looks like a spark plug.) I had to argue with the counterman, for about 15 min, where this sensor was, and what it did. He was trying to sell me the mass air flow sensor. He said that (the mass) was the only engine temp sensor there was. Thanks to the help here, I finally prevailed and got the right thing.

A couple of weeks ago I went back to get the wiring harness that will allow the spots to be on while the high beam is on. I wanted one for my ultra and one for my wife's 03 Road King classic. A safety issue. I got the same counterman and this time another guy behind the counter got into the discussion and they convinced me that they both took the same part number. I was sure this was wrong but I didn't have the part # on me at the time. So I defered to their advice and bought both of them. The one fit my ultra just fine. But it fit inside the fairing. It wouldn't work on the RK mostly because it doesn't have a fairing' or the same wiring. lol! I bought the part number ending with 442 the one for the RK ends with 441. There is no plug even REMOTELY like it in the nacell of the RK! I didn't even open the box because I knew it was wrong. After installing the other one on my ultra.

So I attempt to take it back. Both of the guys were there and of course, they didn't remember me. When I announced the I want to return this part, they jumped all over me. Oh! you can't return an electrical part, and you asked for the wrong thing....ect. Once I reminded them them that they convinced me to buy this part, and what was the right pn. They didn't back down. One of the guys tried to, once again, convince me that it was the right part and that it didn't go in the fairing (because it doesn't have one) but under the seat of the RK. ( hummm headlight wiring under the seat, when there is a gracious plenty in the nacell....) The other one looked up the part # and said that they didn't have one in stock. The first guy gets up and goes out into the showroom and gets a box, then proceeds to THROW it at me and proclaims "that is what you need". It was a headlight modulator. I forget the pn. I asked him " is this the one that flashes the high and low beams?" he says no! He was WRONG!! It was $ 109 and an a non returnable electrical part.

The moral of this long story is that the HD dealership in Greenville SC will argue with you, sell you the wrong stuff, try to sell you more wrong stuff, and then refuse to take it back! I know there is no return on installed electrical parts, and I know why. But I didn't even open the box much less the plastic bag it was in. It wasn't dirty. It was in perfectally sellable condition.

Everybody/anybody can have a bad day! And if this was only one time I would disreguard... But it seems, to much like a trend to me. And for both of them to be this incompent ... Well you better know what you want and have the part number when you go in there. Be prepared to fight to get the right part, and then not be able to return an unopened electrical part.

I live in Atlanta Ga but I'm in Greenville sc almost every other day on bussiness. Sometimes I get stuck in Greenville for as much as 30 hours and I like to conduct my bussiness when I have free time.
I WILL not ever visit the Greenville HD dealership parts counter ever again!
I might buy a t shirt or a hat...But NO parts!

Thank you for reading my rant. If you have had a bad experience with this parts counter PLEASE reply, so all these good folks here won't think its just me!

Old 02-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Cliff notes?

Old 02-03-2015, 12:27 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

I've had mishaps with kingwood Harley.. Luckily I had a good rapport with my salesman.. Anytime I have issue I talk with him before getting pissed at the service dudes.. Shout out to Tim at kingwood lol

Old 02-03-2015, 12:27 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Eyeball Kid
Cliff notes?
Do we need a dummies guide to this rant for ya?

Old 02-03-2015, 12:53 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by decencyxdefied
Do we need a dummies guide to this rant for ya?
Yes, dummy, guide me.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:06 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Those guys must have been trained at Jim's in St.Pete.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:15 PM
OLDDEADEYE
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess it's all depends on the dealer. Ft. Thunder in OKC ordered me a Tour Pak base after my accident last year, but when they got it in it was for a classic and I have an Ultra. Not only did they reorder, they gave it to me at the same price, which was almost a $100 in my favor and I got apologies from the salesman, the parts manager and the general manager before I left that day. I told them it was the middle of winter and I'd be good because the original was just cracked and still useable. They even doubled my points.

Plenty of dealers, move on to the next.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:19 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Eyeball Kid
Yes, dummy, guide me.
Perfect response lol

Old 02-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Papa Joe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=OLDDEADEYE;13665310]I guess it's all depends on the dealer. Ft. Thunder in OKC ordered me a Tour Pak base after my accident last year, but when they got it in it was for a classic and I have an Ultra. Not only did they reorder, they gave it to me at the same price, which was almost a $100 in my favor and I got apologies from the salesman, the parts manager and the general manager before I left that day. I told them it was the middle of winter and I'd be good because the original was just cracked and still useable. They even doubled my points.

Plenty of dealers, move on to the next.[/QUOTE

I'm from Norman, originally, and you are the first person I've ever heard say anything good about fort thunder. They sucked when they were Bryant, and they seem to have gone down hill since becoming Ft Thunder. Glad they took care of you tho.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:28 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

You should have stopped the conversation and then spoke to the parts manager.

It's a bit of a ride for you but I deal with ***'s HD in Rock Hill. I've always been treated with sincere respect and the sales people will go above and beyond to assist. I've been there where 1 parts person wasn't sure and went to sought out answers. I've seen parts people who work there at bike night and they'll ask how the part/product worked out.

Me thinks you just went to a bad shop. I've been to shops where they treat you like dirt. Once I get that feeling, I'll walk out.

Quick Reply: I hate to dealer bash...but this is to much! long post