Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed my floor board extensions to prevent possible accident

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 10:58 PM
db252
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changed my floor board extensions to prevent possible accident

Small but important (at least to me) change. I'm aware that different heights and chassis have an effect on this but this is my experience with my '14 CVO Road King and I have found others to have the same with other styles and years. Strictly info for thought if you like floor board extensions.

I have, or should say, had floor board extensions that lots have added and some that have commented on how dangerous they can be. I removed them but did add some different extensions that prevent what the first could and has caused; that being scraping on the wrong parts and accidents.

The extensions that were removed, made by various vendors, are made to space out the floor board supports by 1" between the frame and supports thereby extending the arms outward along with the floor boards. I very much enjoyed the position but not what also followed. I don't mind floor board scraping the ground in turns as they are designed to fold upward preventing a 'fixed' contact with the ground. These previous extensions I had on did cause this since the support arms were pushed out by 1" thereby creating a contact with the ground before the floorboards. This, as you know, is bad because a fixed object is and has created catastrophic events to riders/passengers. As you can see below, the level is placed midline and shows the contact with the support arms prior to the floorboards which is what I have scraped on a couple of occasions noticing that the floor board didn't move when said scraping occurred.

VERY BAD

So, I took those off and looked for something else. I ended up finding some extensions from Kuryakyn that moved them out 1" what I liked from previous and also mounted in a better way that I'll get back to, but also moved them forward 1" which I didn't really want. After looking at the design, I wondered if I could mount them in reverse to move them 1" back so I looked everywhere on the internet to see if anyone did and couldn't find anything. Then I called Kuryakyn to see if they knew or heard of anyone doing that and they didn't. Oh well, bought them and tried it and I will say that I can't be more pleased with the results. Here is the pic of the extensions which mount between the stock support arms and the floor boards thus moving the support arms back to there stock position.

Here they are mounted in reverse of how they were intended.

Shots with the floor boards back on.

RIGHT SIDE BEFORE:

RIGHT SIDE AFTER:

LEFT SIDE BEFORE:

LEFT SIDE AFTER:

Here is a pic showing the scrapes on the bottom of the rear left side support arm which is the lowest of all 4 arms. By design, the right side does not go as low so it was never a problem.

After changing to the new extensions, the result makes a huge difference in approach angle thereby making it a much safer setup. The level shows how much space is there now upon contact of the lowest part of the floor board.

I was a little worried about how much the 1" back would change things for me but there is nothing I don't like. It may be a problem or dislike for someone tall as that's what the part was intended to help with but being 5' 10" with a 32" inseam, it's perfect.
In regards to the right side, the floor board has better clearance of the brake pedal due to coming back which I very much like. The left side has no effect on change of shifting as I thought it might but I also have no rear shifter which might be an unwelcome difference if you do have that. Both sides are not close to anything and have no effect on placing my feet down at stops. I naturally center on the boards as I take off from a stop and have the ability to move my feet forward or back at will. The boards don't rattle and are tightened in such a way that if I lift them they stay up and gentle foot pressure puts them back down just like stock was. For me it fits absolutely perfect and it is much safer for myself and the wife.

By no means am I saying to change yours or get rid of them nor am I trying to create any debate. I'm just offering my experience and what I changed to for my own piece of mind and consider it a win win situation. This may be something you consider if it concerns you and want an alternative. If I didn't cover something that you might question, please ask away.

!

Old 02-02-2015, 11:48 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 926 Likes on 474 Posts

+1 on these. I have the Kuryakyn extensions too. I use them the normal way. I like having my knees out a little straighter. The wider is a plus too. I want an extended brake lever now. I don't run a heel shifter either. An extended shifter arm wouldn't hurt either. Maybe I should just do forward controls come to think of it. Ha ha.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:35 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I pulled the floorboard extensions off my bike after 1 week. Loved the extra room, didn't care for the cornering on ridgid metal parts. VERY DANGEROUS sitiuation for anyone who drives aggressively in the turns.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:35 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,598 Likes on 976 Posts

Thanks for posting this - I too have concerns about dragging the supports in curves - to the point that I've become a stereotypical nervous Harley rider in corners - far cry from my sport bike days! I'll see how moving the boards back would work and try this myself! Thanks, Joe

ps I hope the extensions for my 2012 are reversible too...

Old 02-03-2015, 09:08 AM
db252
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
Thanks for posting this - I too have concerns about dragging the supports in curves - to the point that I've become a stereotypical nervous Harley rider in corners - far cry from my sport bike days! I'll see how moving the boards back would work and try this myself! Thanks, Joe

ps I hope the extensions for my 2012 are reversible too...

Joe, I would say yes as I believe the part said it's for 09-14. Very easy to do.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:36 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I have the Kurys as well and at 6'4 they fit me perfect in the forward position. Don't believe I've scraped the boards at all since putting them on. Good to know that they can be reversed for the shorter guys and still function properly. Good write up.

2010 Limited with some stuff!!

Old 02-03-2015, 02:52 PM
baldguy13
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Kuryakyn relocators in the normal position. I am very happy with the setup as I am 6'3" and every inch helps (so my wife says). I have also come from sportbikes but never dragged my boards on the SGS.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:31 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master

I guess this is something you have to experiment with to see what works or doesn't work for your ride. I've had the extensions on my Street Glide for three years and never had a problem. I will say that I'm not an aggressive rider and rarely do I drag a board. I've never had the support drag.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm not adept enough at sharp corners at speed on my SG yet but I did get the Tallboys brackets, and before I put them on I ran the left side extension through a bandsaw and cut the corner off to avoid that scraping. I'll see how it works out. Good to know about these, though. Thanks!

On a related note, I just registered today for a Civilian Top Gun class in April; I assume that's when I see if the extensions I have really work well, or not.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:15 PM
RiverB
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice! Thanks for the comprehensive write-up.

One does not have to be an aggressive rider to benefit from ground clearance and measures to soften the blow when one runs out of it. Even the most sedate and cautious of us can find ourselves in too deep thanks to misjudgment, an obstacle, or a puddle of anti-freeze. And I think too many get lulled into a sense of complacency seeing so many photos of folks gleefully leaving sparks behind on a tight curve on forums like this.

I HAVE grounded an unhinged and inflexible chassis component at speed, high-sided, and nearly been thrown off a cliff and into the Pacific Ocean. There wasn't anything pleasant, or even exciting, about it.

Quick Reply: Changed my floor board extensions to prevent possible accident