Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

budget stereo for my glide conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 12:10 AM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 380 Posts
Default budget stereo for my glide conversion?

looking for some pointers, maybe some links if you all feel like it.

so how am i hooking up a stereo on a road glide conversion, where i didnt add the main harness.

run, power and remote under the tank to the headunit and get an amp for the speakers? do i even need an amp if the headunit is already powered?

what amp, what head unit and what speakers.... budget oriented. never installed a stereo and really dont know what i need

Old 02-02-2015, 04:12 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Having never owned a Glide I'm not sure what kind of room there is, but you can expect to pay around $150 for this radio
Amazon.com : Sony DSXS310BTX Bluetooth Digital Media Car Stereo Receiver with Pandora Control : Automotive Amazon.com : Sony DSXS310BTX Bluetooth Digital Media Car Stereo Receiver with Pandora Control : Automotive
. That's a pretty common combo that rocks. Add a pair of speaker ring adapters and a wiring kit and you're good to go, except for the hand controls.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:15 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Old 02-02-2015, 04:15 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Old 02-02-2015, 10:32 AM
zeke383
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You honestly can't get a better, inexpensive system than what JPJ sent you links for.
The amp will need its own power direct from the battery. Just run a fused 10ga lead up under the tank. Run a second one for a ground to the battery (Fosgate recommends grounding to the battery). For a two speaker system it will rock.
If you run into trouble head over to the audio forum.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:53 PM
osuhd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really tempted to run the speakers and amp with a stock unit. Seems like a cheap yet effective way for better sound

Old 02-02-2015, 04:44 PM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by osuhd
Really tempted to run the speakers and amp with a stock unit. Seems like a cheap yet effective way for better sound
Why not if you're fine with the stock head unit? The speakers and amp will dictate the quality of the sound....the head unit just plays it.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:53 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Roger That
Why not if you're fine with the stock head unit? The speakers and amp will dictate the quality of the sound....the head unit just plays it.
Not entirely true, a head unit makes a world of difference, however the amp can be ran off the stock one. That particular unit mentioned has bluetooth which is a very handy feature enabling you to stream music or directions from your phone.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:53 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Roger That
Not entirely true, a head unit makes a world of difference, however the amp can be ran off the stock one. That particular unit mentioned has bluetooth which is a very handy feature enabling you to stream music or directions from your phone.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:18 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 380 Posts

sweet. thanks for the links. i really appreciate it. this combo looks great. is there a preferred speaker ring out there or are of the enlarged speaker rings the same? also do i need to get a headunit mounting kit and harness/ wires. is there a pre made kit for the wiring i can buy, or is that a piece together type of thing?

Quick Reply: budget stereo for my glide conversion?