Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins #6 Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015 | 01:06 AM
Paniolo
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Ohlins #6 Rear Shocks

I got them from Howard at Motorcycle Metal and had them installed by my local indy shop on Thursday.

I bought the bike used, and the previous owner lowered it. He used shorter Progressive springs up front, and 12" StreetGlide shocks in the rear. I swapped them out for 13" factory shocks to try and get a better ride. Two years ago I changed to 12" shocks by Suspension Technology. I was never satisfied with the ride as it scraped in the corners and was jarring over potholes and uneven surfaces.

The installation went well, but not without a hitch. The shocks bolted right in, but the canister mounts didn't align up perfectly with the saddlebag filler rail. So I called Howard at Motorcycle Metal. He gave us a couple of options and we ended up drilling new mounting holes in the filler strip. Everything fits fine now.

My first sitting found me slightly higher, and I'm okay with that. I can now use my EZ-UP center stand without having to roll the rear wheel on a piece of flooring! I also see well over the top edge of the windshield. None of these two issues were BIG, but they are nice!

On the ride home on Sepulveda Blvd I immediately felt the difference. The ride was cushy, but not mushy. Firm, but not hard. I intentionally went over dips, uneven spots in the pavement, both low and high man hole covers and blacktop buckled by subterranean tree roots. While I did feel bumps, none of them were jarring. The back rest on my seat did not slam or shove me forward. I felt a little more confident in the corners, but I'm not sure if that was due to the shocks, or the increased height which allowed me to lean over more without fear of dragging. The back end was firm in the curves. Tomorrow i will seek out turns with uneven pavement and surfaces to see how it does. I will also seek out the portions of the 405 freeway where the pavement is uneven and the expansion gaps have varying heights.

Went out today for an extended test ride today, back streets and the Santa Monica mountain canyons.

I put the bike through some varying surfaces, starting out with Lincoln Blvd where I made it a point to hit every pothole and man hole cover I came across. As before the ride was less jarring. I ended up going down a winding dead end road laden with speed bumps searching for a short cut to Sunset Blvd. I felt the speed bumps, but did not have the rear slammed up and down going over them. Moreover, my aftermarket centerstand did not hit or drag.

Out in the canyons I really noticed a difference! The bike was much more responsive, but in a smoother way. I found myself leaning over further. With each corner my confidence increased as concern of scraping diminished. The bike tracked well and followed my eyes exactly where I wanted to go. Even curves with uneven and rough surfaces were no problem. I went to stop at an overlook that had a pronounced drop off from pavement to dirt shoulder and got turned around and ended riding up it. The bike took it well. Tomorrow I will take it on the freeway and see how it fares.

I am really enjoying these shocks. And yes, while they are a very expensive upgrade, I would say that it's one of the best choices I have made for the bike. If I ever sell or trade the bike, these are coming with me.

One of the main reasons for these Ohlins #6 was improved comfort. My wife didn't like getting slammed and bounced off the saddle when we hit bumps. I believe these will address those issues.

To date my suspension history on this bike is:

12" Factory StreetGlide Shocks
13" Factory Ultra Shocks
12" Suspension Technology Shocks
13" Ohlins #6 Shocks

The Ohlins are by far the BEST riding shocks of them all.

Now I am considering upgrading the front as I'd like to return it to stock height. I'm anxious to see what Howard suggests for the front tubes.

Mark

2006 CVO Ultra

Old 02-01-2015 | 09:23 AM
dnespolo
Cruiser

Thank you for the review. Let us know what you are going to do with the front shocks.

Old 02-01-2015 | 11:18 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member

you will love them even more the more miles you put on them , I'm running Ohlins #6's in the rear along with Howard's triple trees , 49mm forks and Ohlins 30mm cartridges inside them up front , the ride is amazing

Last edited by tj316; 02-01-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-01-2015 | 03:11 PM
Paniolo
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Took a ride on the freeway today.

I made sure to hit the awful spots of the 405 and the bike handled them very well. One section has a large DIP where the sections of concrete have settled in an non uniform manner. I hit it at about 70mph. Whereas I used to get slammed and bounced, this time I only felt the dip. This always threw trepidation into me as on several occasions the dip induced wobble. Not this time, straight tracking. Further up there was a section where the lane changed back and forth between blacktop and concrete due to widening. This often caused the bike to track in the groove between the two surfaces. Not this time. I followed this by hitting a pot hole about 1.5" deep, (or whatever the thickness of asphalt is) where I could see right down into the sub surface. The pot hole was 10" wide and 24" long and I hit it at 70mph going downhill. I felt a slight bump and tracked straight. I got off on a side street and rode across concrete drainage dips across the road. Took them at 35mph and they felt like nothing. I used to have to come off the saddle and stand on the boards when crossing those. I jumped back on the freeway and rode undulating surfaces where the freeway had a bend in it. This was always the worst as the combination of speed, lean and uneven surface made the bike hop or wobble. Not this time.

All in all I am very pleased with the performance of these rear shocks. My bike rides, handles and feels like a totally different machine altogether.

One of the best investments I ever made for the bike. I can't wait to do the fronts now

Old 02-01-2015 | 04:00 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

Is that a $1900.00 pair of shocks? WOW! I bet they are great but WAY out of my range...

Old 02-01-2015 | 04:29 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
Is that a $1900.00 pair of shocks? WOW! I bet they are great but WAY out of my range...
That's without forum discounts , the price is way lower than that

Old 02-01-2015 | 04:31 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by tj316
That's without forum discounts , the price is way lower than that
Can you PM me what they actually cost? I need an upgrade but am sorta poor these days...Just ordered some parts for my 65 Chevy so I can get it ready to sell...

Old 02-01-2015 | 04:44 PM
blackx-runner
Cruiser

Just curious how big of a guy are you? I assume there is enough adjustment in these shocks for even lightweights. Not that I am quite in that department, but I seem to be in the range where some shocks don't seem to cut it.

Old 02-01-2015 | 05:09 PM
Paniolo
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by blackx-runner
Just curious how big of a guy are you? I assume there is enough adjustment in these shocks for even lightweights. Not that I am quite in that department, but I seem to be in the range where some shocks don't seem to cut it.
I'm 5'8", 158lbs. My wife is 5'5" 140.

Old 02-01-2015 | 05:24 PM
Rebyl
Cruiser

I'm 6'2" and weigh a jumbo size of 300lbs and I run Ohlins and love em to bits

Quick Reply: Ohlins #6 Rear Shocks