Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pin hole in gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015 | 04:36 PM
Rebyl
|
Cruiser
Default Pin hole in gas tank

Due to a minor off my gas tank I am told now has a pin hole and they say I should replace it. Anyone got experience with repairing a tank, surely it can be fixed and repainted.
Thanks

Old 01-30-2015 | 04:40 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rebyl
Due to a minor off my gas tank I am told now has a pin hole and they say I should replace it. Anyone got experience with repairing a tank, surely it can be fixed and repainted.
Thanks

Depends on why it has a pinhole...if it is due to rust, your would be better off to replace the tank.

Old 01-30-2015 | 04:49 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

the real solution is replacement.

otherwise the exterior can be patched over with a marine epoxy or JB Weld ( you have in NZ?)

the interior can be cleaned by agitating with a double handful of nuts and bolts inside...count them as they go in and come out.
so agitate to loosen any rust, then coat the inside with a product such as KREEM

I did a repair of 1-year-only tank shift 5 gal. panhead tanks that lasted over 15 years....but it's a ticking ( trickling?) time bomb.

depending on year- an easy tank replacement may be possible- I know that NZ will be tough- but once in a while I see perfect late model tanks for under $300 here in teh US.
got a cousin who could buy one and send it to you?

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-30-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-30-2015 | 06:14 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

You can weld it but the metal is thin, and if it is a rust spot there Will be more.
Then you have to paint, and of cource take proper precaution.

Old 01-30-2015 | 07:13 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member

I fixed a small leak one time-rub a bar of soap on it. No kiddin', gas dripping out and soap hardened up and no more leak.Try it!

Old 01-30-2015 | 10:14 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

Radiator shop can solder and pressure test it. last forever.

Old 01-31-2015 | 12:12 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member

If it is indeed rusty enough for a pin hole. First I would test the tank for softness-being thin, second I would replace the tank. In your case I would try to fix it. Man gotta ride.

Old 01-31-2015 | 04:18 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by Rebyl
Thanks
Hello old chap, from the UK. I'm sure your tank can indeed be repaired, but as others have suggested that is not a long-term solution. If you repair it you will have the cost of repainting anyway, so take a look at US Ebay. I bought a showroom takeoff tank for my bike (a current 6 US gallon one) for around 100 dollars, which cost me roughly the same for shipping. I actually repainted the entire bike, so don't have a cost for just the tank, but I have an as new tank. You may be able to get a competent repair done for less than $200, but that is the likely cost for peace of mind. I must add that I did take my time looking and waiting.

Old 01-31-2015 | 10:57 AM
vangasman
Cruiser

Whats a minor off? Does that mean the tanks dented or does it just have a pinhole? If just a pinhole why not use creem or another tank sealant.

Old 01-31-2015 | 01:42 PM
Rebyl
|
Cruiser

Wow, Thanks everyone for the great responses, some real good points, just one thing when we say down here that we had an off it it off the bike, crash, smash etc. Definitely not rust bike is only 4 years old always in a garage and it in pristine condition.
A car came round a corner on my side of the road, I managed to miss the car by sheer luck but laid the bike down, it first appeared that there was just a scratch in the tank but tests at the dealer show a pin hole and Insurance wants to replace tank, trouble is that this then puts cost of repair to high for Insurance Company and they want to write it off. It only has cosmetic damage such as bars, tank, crash bars, windscreen etc and I have way to much money in the bike to let them have it. I actually rode it 100km's after the crash to the repairer and it is fine apart from some bits hanging off it....LOL
I will PM a couple of you about your kind offers, thanks again everyone.

Quick Reply: Pin hole in gas tank