Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One more BARS thread!! 15 SGS

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 10:42 AM
sloans4x4
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One more BARS thread!! 15 SGS

Ok so I bought a 15 SGS last weekend. had a thread on windshields, and I decided on one and ordered one.

Now for bars. I have decided on either 13" LA Chopper Prime Apes (had these on my roadking and liked them a lot) or 13" Cycle Smiths (buddy has these on his 14 SGS and I like them, but I haven't rode his a lot and they are an inch or so narrower and have 1.5" more pullback, giving the wrist a little worse angle. Not bad but the PA are more straight with an almost PERFECT wrist angle (for me). So I'm leaning towards them.

Questions are: Where is everyone buying their wire extension harness from? Anyone have the part numbers for the harness?
Also is everyone extending throttle control or going with the SE throttle? And is Harley the ONLY place to get the SE one?? Part number on it?

Old 01-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have part numbers for you. NAMZ and HDS both have the wire extensions, plug and play. Depending on the bends in the bars you can probably use the stock TBW without extending it, it is plenty long enough. Just tape up the green plug and hope it doesn't come apart. If the bars don't have radical bends in them it will probably work just fine.

The SE TBW makes it easier but you have to swap the ends for female as they come with male ends crimped on.
Maybe someone else can supply the part numbers for you. Good luck.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:34 AM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Hers my 2 cents worth moment
I just did a 2015 LA Chopper 13" supposed to be internally wiring job...

1st thing I noticed was it was so much simpler then the 13's and older...
The customer used a plug and play 4" extension per his parts shop...
The TBW did not have to be replaced or up graded to a SE without the plug...Since there is just a handful of wires running internally there was plenty of room...run the TBW first though...

2nd thing I noticed was there are different extensions out there by different manufacturers offering
there take...since he choose to use the NAMZ plug and play that's the way we went, however after it was all said and done WE both felt that if we did it again we would do a solder and extend the wires accordingly rather then plug and play...with the plug and play the end of the factory connections were right at the edge of the elongated cutout in the lower center of the bar...potential for the chaffing and shorting out condition to happen...if you go this route protect this area with extra tape or heat shrink...

The plugs will pull easily thru the bars without pulling them off so all the wiring can be accomplished and plugs can stay on off the bike and pulled thru...

Another FWIW is the LA Choppers bars will not accept heated grips...perhaps I should rephrase that the particular bars we got would not accept heated grips due to the wall thickness of the tubing used in the grip area...

OVAL the installation is very easy and the wiring product you choose will be your discretion but it seems there is allot of the name NAMZ used here on the various forums and I don't believe I ever read anything negative about there product...

Paul

Old 02-01-2015, 09:01 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I use Guerrilla Cables wiring extensions , the can bus is a lot easier for sure there is less wire.
I cut the green plug out and just soldered the extensions on from the GC kit. I did not have any luck with leaving the green plug for the tbw on my first attempt , my bars do not have any welded angle bends either.
Guerrillacables.com 24025-2014

Old 02-01-2015, 11:03 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

I did the namz.. If I ever had to do it again I would skip buying a kit and just solder my own extensions.. On my neighbors bike we cut the wires and spliced in the same gauge wire in the middle so the colors are the same at each end..

Old 02-01-2015, 10:10 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by decencyxdefied
I did the namz.. If I ever had to do it again I would skip buying a kit and just solder my own extensions.. On my neighbors bike we cut the wires and spliced in the same gauge wire in the middle so the colors are the same at each end..
^^^^^That^^^^^

2010 Limited with some stuff!!