Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble getting bike in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015 | 09:34 PM
kylebryan
|
Road Captain
Default Trouble getting bike in neutral

Just recently installed a FM107 engine upgrade and updated the clutch spring to the heavy duty clutch spring from Barnett. The trouble I'm having now is when at a stop the bike is nearly impossible to get into neutral. I have adjusted the clutch at the basket tightened bolt till just barely snug and then backing it out 1/2 turn. I also have adjusted the clutch cable till the clutch begins to grab about 3/8 of an inch off the grip. Running mobile 1 full synthetic in the primary. What gives? What am I missing? Thanks in advance guys.

Old 01-29-2015 | 09:50 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member

You may try backing the adjuster on the basket out 1/4 turn.

Old 01-29-2015 | 10:43 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

I wouldn't run synthetic in the primary but that is probably not the problem.. Did you loosen cable before adjusting the center clutch bolt?? The directions in the manual should work. How did you check the oil level in the primary? Is it possible you added too much oil? Did you take anything apart other than the diaphragm spring cover when you swapped the spring?

Old 01-29-2015 | 10:49 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

difficulty finding neutral is 95% of the time misadjusted clutch or primary chain tension.

calls for a do-over.

while some riders suggest adjust a warm clutch...my manuals say room temp. so that is what I do.

2.) if you just changed primary lube, did you get all the old stuff out? the clutch disks absorb fluid & if your 2 fluids are not compatible...

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-30-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-29-2015 | 10:52 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kylebryan
Just recently installed a FM107 engine upgrade and updated the clutch spring to the heavy duty clutch spring from Barnett. The trouble I'm having now is when at a stop the bike is nearly impossible to get into neutral. I have adjusted the clutch at the basket tightened bolt till just barely snug and then backing it out 1/2 turn. I also have adjusted the clutch cable till the clutch begins to grab about 3/8 of an inch off the grip. Running mobile 1 full synthetic in the primary. What gives? What am I missing? Thanks in advance guys.
============================

Likely an issue with not enough clutch disengagement post new clutch spring install so try adj more clutch disengagment and hopefully that should do the trick.

Scott

Old 01-29-2015 | 10:53 PM
kylebryan
|
Road Captain

I'm going to re-do the adjustment tomorrow just to double check my work. I'm also going to verify there's not too much fluid in the primary. I'll report back!

Old 01-30-2015 | 04:41 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

As long as you're in there, double check the oil level. Too high and you'll cause disengagement problem due to the oil in the clutch pack. Which can make finding neutral difficult.

Old 02-01-2015 | 03:31 PM
kylebryan
|
Road Captain

Looks like I may have had too much oil in the primary but I went ahead and adjusted the clutch again anyways. I'm able to get the bike in neutral again. Thanks for your help guys.

Old 10-16-2019 | 11:24 AM
ipave2000
6th Gear

Originally Posted by kylebryan
My Barnett extra disc clutch kit said to back it off only 1/4 a turn and I have been doing that without problems for the past 30k

Old 10-16-2019 | 12:30 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ipave2000
My Barnett extra disc clutch kit said to back it off only 1/4 a turn and I have been doing that without problems for the past 30k
I followed there direction and it started to slip real bad (bad like bike literaly jumped) when bike got hot. went back and did it closer to the manual upper limit problem solved

Quick Reply: Trouble getting bike in neutral