Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'13 FLHTCU Intermittent Charging Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 01:06 PM
bjudkins20
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '13 FLHTCU Intermittent Charging Issue

My '13 Electraglide Ultra has some sort of charging issue. In the last 6 weeks of last season's riding I had 3 occasions where my amp gauge went into a negative or "non-charging" condition (10 1/2 or 11 amps). It stayed like that for a maximum of 20-30 minutes. Not even enough time to get to a dealer.

I ride a fair amount-about 7000 miles per summer. My bike now has about 17,000 miles on it. Can anybody give me an idea as to what may be happening or if there is some sort of test I could run before, or possibly during, the problem?

I'm fairly familiar with wrenches but never have done any serious maintenance to a bike. I can also operate voltmeters. My wrenching days pretty much ended with the introduction of pollution controls and computers in the '70s. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:30 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

There are a couple good threads on testing your electrical system. I can tell you that the voltage meter on your bike is not that accurate and it may be the bad part on your bike.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...sting-1-a.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...sting-2-a.html

Old 01-28-2015, 04:13 PM
Book-it
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Prolly the voltage regulator, mine did same thing, dealer told me
they had changed out 20 or so last summer.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:46 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Voltage Regulator, stator, or both. Mine got both replaced under warranty at 19k miles.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:38 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by bjudkins20
My '13 Electraglide Ultra has some sort of charging issue. In the last 6 weeks of last season's riding I had 3 occasions where my amp gauge went into a negative or "non-charging" condition (10 1/2 or 11 amps). It stayed like that for a maximum of 20-30 minutes. Not even enough time to get to a dealer.

I ride a fair amount-about 7000 miles per summer. My bike now has about 17,000 miles on it. Can anybody give me an idea as to what may be happening or if there is some sort of test I could run before, or possibly during, the problem?

I'm fairly familiar with wrenches but never have done any serious maintenance to a bike. I can also operate voltmeters. My wrenching days pretty much ended with the introduction of pollution controls and computers in the '70s. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
=================================

Well since at this time the charging systems showing its intermittently charging,sometime charging fine,then not for 20-30 mins,then charging again after that id keep a volt meter on the bike when riding.

Then when it shows it charging 10-11volts that when you pull off the road ,remove seat,and with bike running check to see voltage at battery to ensure voltmeter reading properly .

At idle should be approx 12.2-13.5v & at roughly 2500rpm should be approx 14-14.5v max .

If voltage isnt as stated above if bike starts charging again 20-30 mins later like you said it does at times then i'd do this.

Check all wiring connections in charging system at stator/volt reg-rectifier/battery/grounds etc to ensure they are all tight & clean fee of corossion & rust.

If after doing that it keeps charging all the time your good to go!

But if all connections are clean & tight you you still have on off on charging issues i bet theres an issue with either stator or rectifier when when it heats up to full operating temp something in its circuitry expand when heated going to an open condition loosing its electrical connection & stops charging at that time.

Then when that electrical item cools back down again contracting re-connecting the electrical connection/component again (that often a circuit board issue more likely seen in rectifier ) it starts charging again .

Then when that electrical part with the issue heats back up again expanding opening up loosing the electrical connection again it stops charging again.

That would explain the back & forth on & off charging issue your bikes experiencing,st place i'd be looking for that issue would be in the winding of the stator and in the volt reg-rectifier too.

Good luck.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 01-28-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:44 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

1.) confirm with a real voltmeter measuring at the battery, rather than the in-dash gauge ( or at the tender pigtail if you have).

2.) check battery cables tight

3.) if you have a chrome cover on the regulator- throw into your neighbor's pool
( why would anyone ever put a chrome cover on top of cooling fins?)

from there as above, do methodical checks and find the source of a problem before simply "replacing parts".

we have seen "worse case scenarios" be as simple as a loose or corroded battery cable/connection

mike

Old 02-01-2015, 01:24 PM
bjudkins20
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the input. Good logical comments!!