Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Chatter/Neutral Light Flickers

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 05:21 PM
slburgie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Chatter/Neutral Light Flickers

03 Electra Glide Classic with 27K miles. Been on battery tender and shows full charge. Went to start and go for a run and the starter chatters and the neutral light flickers-these two issues related in any way? I checked the voltage at 12.48 and drops to 11.2 when starter button is pushed. Had similar issue a year ago. Removed the cover from the actuator and cleaned the brass contacts and work fine for the past year. Did not have the neutral light issue.
Plan on doing same again however, why would the neutral light flicker and go solid when rpms increased. At other times will not come on until the engine is running? Anyone have helpful ideas.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:27 PM
rockajet1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your battery is going (or gone) bad. Just because it shows a full charge doesn't mean your battery is completely healthy. It can show proper voltage and still not have the required cranking amps to start the bike. I'm not an electrical engineer, but batteries only have so many charge cycles in them. How old is your battery? Most auto parts stores can put a load test on it.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:36 PM
slburgie
Advanced

I suspect the battery only because it is about three years old. I don't have the meter to do a load test and will pull it and have it checked. Would that effect the lights as they all are quite bright.
Added note: suspecting battery, put the charger on it for solid 12 volts and tried the starter and received the same chatter noise from the actuator. Will pull and clean. Does one have to pull the faring off to replace the bulb for the neutral light which I suspect may be bad as it doesn't come on at all now.

Last edited by slburgie; 01-25-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:55 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

the solenoid will chatter if your battery is low (or bad cables/ connections).

this chattering can damage the solenoid, requiring further repairs- so don;t push it.

pull the battery, charge on a charger...load test at autozone

while it is out loosen the cables at both ends at tighten...look for damage such as white powder coming out the ends of the cables.

the tender does not really indicate the condition of the battery....if the battery is only able to charge to 50% ( they loose capacity over time)...then the tender may show green lights
...as far as the tender knows the battery is "fully charged"...it must be as the battery isn't accepting a further charge...

if your battery is duff, it can destroy your charging system...so don;t turn a $100 problem into a $600 problem

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-25-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:55 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 476 Posts

Dirty or loose battery connections. Pull them apart clean them real well and try again. If not a lot of parts stores can load test your battery.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:49 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Every year before the first ride, I take my cables loose, and clean both ends , and re-tighten them, it goes a long way to help not have problems on the road.
I would bet your battery is toast.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:56 AM
slburgie
Advanced

After taking the battery down for a load test and finding it in good shape, I returned home and cleaned the actuator attached to the starter. Still the same problem with clicking/horn sound.
Took the advice of those that were suggested, I removed or loosened all major connections to the battery and starter. No visible powder present on the connections. Sprayed some contact cleaner on the connections, re-tightened and pulled the plugs off the neutral switch on the trans. After reconnecting and tightening, Walla! neutral light is working and the beast starts instantly.
Give a month or two of no running and electrosis does it's thing with the contact points. Thanks for the suggestions

Old 01-27-2015, 07:40 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the update, we all like to find out how it turned out.
Glad it wasn't an expensive fix, and you learned something about your bike
Good job, saved you hundreds.