Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drill size for one inch axle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 02:54 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by tfi racing
What are you guys using to adapt the swing arm bushings/pivot shaft?I already have a bare 2008 arm,Airstrike wheel,Brembo caliper and bracket,looking for the most cost effective/simple method.
There are kits available from both True-Track and Motorcycle Metal (possibly others) that provide bushings to fit the later swingarm, but use the early smaller diameter swingarm axle. IMHO don't even think of opening up the hole in the back of the trans! I used a T-T Trackula kit on my bike.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:00 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 255 Likes on 155 Posts

I opened up a 3/4 wheel with a drill press and didn't have any problems in over 50K miles, the hub is just a casting, did mine on a spoke wheel, but MOCO didn't cast a complete new nine spoke wheel for the later bikes, the wheel will be fine bored out. I tried to use a drill press on the caliper and didn't get it drilled straight enough so I just bought a 2002 up caliper, but there is enough material there it just needs to be machined out with a fixture holding it so you get a perfectly perpendicular hole, good luck it's a good upgrade. By the way if you happen to have the trans out that hole can be opened up for the larger swingarm axle, I did it on a 2000 and it's still working great with over 110K on it.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:05 PM
NAILIT RK
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes I got the pivot shaft kit from J&P Cycles, undersized bushings allows use of the older 5/8 pivot shaft Thanks everybody, good info

Last edited by NAILIT RK; 01-24-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:32 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,594 Likes on 974 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
The axle is not supported by the bearings...

The bearings are supported by the axle.

The axle is supported by the swingarm.
I guess it depends on if the bike is on a center stand or on the road:

Wheels support bearings
bearings support axle
axle supports swing arm
swing arm/shocks support back of bike.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:31 PM
NAILIT RK
Tourer

The 2000 and 2001 wheel will not accept the 1 inch center spacer. I took my wheels in for an chrome exchange and the guy charged me $50 extra because he would have to have the rear wheel machined for the 1" axle spacer (crush tube as some call it). Other wise the wheel only fit 2 years and he would have a hard time reselling it. Since I'm upgrading my rear to 2007 Swingarm and 1" rear axel he exchanged my wheels + $50 for 2002 - 2007 wheels

Old 03-29-2015, 12:50 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
I opened up a 3/4 wheel with a drill press and didn't have any problems in over 50K miles, the hub is just a casting, did mine on a spoke wheel, but MOCO didn't cast a complete new nine spoke wheel for the later bikes, the wheel will be fine bored out. I tried to use a drill press on the caliper and didn't get it drilled straight enough so I just bought a 2002 up caliper, but there is enough material there it just needs to be machined out with a fixture holding it so you get a perfectly perpendicular hole, good luck it's a good upgrade. By the way if you happen to have the trans out that hole can be opened up for the larger swingarm axle, I did it on a 2000 and it's still working great with over 110K on it.
You need a boring bar to align a new machining with existing bearing housings. I don't think a dealer can do that for you.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:29 PM
NAILIT RK
Tourer

So this might not be a good idea?

1" unibit

Old 03-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.

Originally Posted by NAILIT RK
1" unibit
Try to find a reamer or a machine "stepped-drill" with a 0.75" guiding nose. With two cutting lips your tool will "walk" and produce a 3 lobe shape. Use lots of oil to avoid gripping and slow spindle speed.
Worst case scenario: with a grinder you can make a stepped drill 0.75-1.0" as long as you provide the cutting edges on both sides. This is rough but better than attempting to drill with a chamfer tool.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:05 PM
bikehunter
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NAILIT RK

1" unibit
OMG don't use the step drill, you will be sorry!
Get the thing bored by a machine shop or better and safer still buy one that has the 1" hole in as I am sure they are beefed up, but don't quote me!
The reason bikers get the swing arm from a newer model is that they have suffered the cracking next to the spindle or for more rigidity.
I would do the same if mine was a problem but it now has a stabilizer bar fitted and I was wondering that if you keep it 3/4" spindle and make spacers up to fit the 1" gap in the swing arm.
Probably not a good move but it would have 1/16" wall thickness on the spacers.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:51 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I recently had a rear caliper honed out from 25mm to 1" by a competent shop. The hole needs to be reasonably accurate, but most essentially square to the end faces.

I have a later swingarm and wheel with 1" bearings on my 1990 bike, not because of a cracked original s/w but the get the greater stiffness and wheel control, as part of a general handling upgrade.

Quick Reply: Drill size for one inch axle?