Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil temp. gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Macadoo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: oil temp. gauge

MOCO SCREWED THIS APPLICATION UP, 3 DEALERSHIP LATER AND THE ANWER WAS ON A PREVIOUS POST.. THIS WORKS !!

FYI - installed the Harley oil temp gauge BUT used the extra oil pan hole - had to use an adapter bushing. Worked like a charm. I wanted the Harley gauge (with the Harley wording) to match all my other gauges. But, had a real problem with the Harley install. One, they wanted you to cut the bottom oil supply hose out and somehow install a treaded nipple adapter in its place - while somehow getting the hose clamps installed - just seemed like too much work. Two, on top of that, they said you needed to toss the cover plate that covers those hoses. So for a $1.25 bushing I'm much happier. Installing into the extra drain plug whole does not seem as perminent as the orginal install. Since the Harley sensor uses two wires, I was able to put telfon tape and anti-sieze on the bushing adapter. Lastly, Harley wants you to remove the fuel tank (after purging the fuel pressure) - I was able to use a 12 gauge electrical wire (one of the coated wires abour 2 feet long) and fish the temp gauge wire through it. Since I had a Air Temp gauge - you're also able to use the orange wire (becomes the POS on the new oil temp gauge) and the black (GND) - i.e. no need as in the intructions to run those wires back to the fuse panel and grounding plate. One other piece of advice - the plug that was in my Ultra extra drain plug was put in with "red" loctite - make sure to either have a warm engine or in my case I heated the plug with a heat gun for about five minutes.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:15 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: EZ2Rider

...use a step down bushing and install the sensor in the casting plug in front of the oil pan. Also, IF you are replacing an air temp gauge in your fairing, just use that wiring andskip all the other nonsense you don't need to do....
I see the casting plug in the front of the oil pan. Yep I will need a step down bushing/adapter. Looks good to me.
Thanks.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:48 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

I just thought of Something.
Why use an adapter? I can drop the pan (bring it to the Turbine Shop), drill and tap the hole larger for the sender.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Rock: That was what my HD dealer's service department was doing until they heard of the step-down bushing.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:51 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for the link on the Wally gauge. It is also listed under the monthly specials. Does anyone know what their regular price is, or does this "monthly special" run forever?

Old 10-22-2007, 03:30 PM
texaspirate
Road Captain

I live in Houston. There have been other posts on this very subject. Best place to install the sending unit is in the oil pan and works fine.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:39 PM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

We installed the sending unit in the second hole in the oil pan using a brass 3/8" x 1/8" bushing.

Temperature does not come up to 110 until we have been on the road for 30 minutes or so.

We have the Jagg oil filter adapter and the Jagg 6 row oil cooler installed on the 06 Cop Glide.

YRMV

Old 11-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Jsans
Tourer

OK, just got done replacing my inner fairing with a painted one and installed the Oil Temp gauge (HD) in the place of the air temp. I thought I would play the roll of the good mechanic and do the guage replacement in compliance with MoCo. I dished out the money for the adapter that mounts the sender unit between the oil filter and engine.

Everything went smoothly as far as the assembly went, but after completion I started up the engine and during cold idle, the oil pressure gauge was reading almost 50lbs.

Is this normal when attaching the adapter kit? Does it place an additional strain on the engine or pump? I believe I properly placed the gasket although I'm not 100% sure since the MoCo instructions were wrong and the images didn't line up.

[IMG]local://upfiles/39470/2580F886D0634E97A59E831135CD08A5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/39470/7B8C9EA229474B91B5133D40CABFCCD8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-21-2007, 11:55 PM
thatguy
Tourer

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

Thanks for the link on the Wally gauge. It is also listed under the monthly specials. Does anyone know what their regular price is, or does this "monthly special" run forever?
It runs forever.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:11 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

I did it. Works Fine.