Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

short guys with road glides

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 05:25 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default short guys with road glides

so any of you short guys have road glides? what did you do to mod them to fit you, bars, seats, shocks? how tall are ya? does it feel like the dash is really far away? im going to test drive one sometime but i was wondering what y'all put into them

Old 01-20-2015, 06:51 PM
scottiebe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 5*7 I am currently on a street glide, but converting to a RG. I rode a new 2013 Road Glide Custom (street glide) last year, unable to come to an agreeable deal, but I rode it and loved it, hence the reason for the conversion. With that being said, the bike was obviously bone stock, for me at 5*7 with a 31/32 inseam, yes the dash seemed like it was a mile away, but I believe that would go away after getting use to. bike was fairly comfortable, just like any other, you will want to tailor it to your needs, but for me I would have simply adjusted stock bars a bit, (pull em back) put my Harley "reach" seat on, and prob a bit taller windshield.! hope this was some help for ya!! good luck!

Old 01-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm pretty short and can make one fit me fine...I have done it for tons of folks. I wouldn't worry about the inner fairing being so far away. That is why you have hand controls...

Old 01-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

I'm pretty short and can make one fit me fine...I have done it for tons of folks. I wouldn't worry about the inner fairing being so far away. That is why you have hand controls...What did you do to make the SG fit you? There is no difference between the two...

Old 01-20-2015, 07:17 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,811 Likes on 2,545 Posts

I'm 5'6" and when I purchased my RGU I had the lowered air shocks installed and then during the winter months and post surgery mending had the seat modified by Mean City Cycles in North Carolina. IMHO they did a fantastic job. just modified the operator's (me) seat and left the passengers seat alone. A less expensive idea is to have a half inch sole to your riding boots. As far as the fairing way out in front, your handle bar switches do the work for you. You'd be surprised how well these beasts handle, heavy but nimble.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:18 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

im 5'7" and fit fine on a SG stock. i modded it to fit how i wanted. some people ive talked to said that it just felt too stretched out on a RG. i'd have to put apes on it for sure. i like the look and comfort of them too much not to

Old 01-20-2015, 07:29 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by escalade6103
im 5'7" and fit fine on a SG stock. i modded it to fit how i wanted. some people ive talked to said that it just felt too stretched out on a RG. i'd have to put apes on it for sure. i like the look and comfort of them too much not to
They are the same frame. Any "stretched out" feel is in the rider's head because the fairing is not so close. There are no differences in fit at all. I agree on the apes. I have 14s on my King and put them on all bikes I own. I put a set on a buddies this weekend so I test rode his bike. Fit me just like mine...Here is a pic with him on it.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:30 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

Your street glide is on the same frame and suspension as a road glide custom. So, what ever you had to leg reach wise will need to be done on the RGC. As far as the bars on a stock custom, there is a further reach to them then on a SG.

Yes, the fairing is further away, and the reach to the radio is longer. I never really used the buttons on the radio, so that was no big deal.

I will say that the batwing gives more wind protection, but the fixed fairing doesn't get whipped around by the wind at highway speeds, and steering at low/parking lot speeds feels so much lighter.

I too converted mine from a batwing, and I am loving it.

Best thing to do is test ride one, and make sure you like it. Some love them, others hate them.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:56 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,370 Likes on 2,543 Posts

i'm one of the 'really short fellas', 5'4'' on a good day. i wouldn't trade my roadglide for nuthing... had a roadking with an aftermarket fairing and really prefer the roadglide fairing. sure it's further away, and you don't get as much protection from the elements, but the batwing fairings are just so much 'in your face'. like has been posted previously, you really don't need to reach up to the fairing anyway. thats what handlebar switches are for.

as far as making the bike fit, i would have to do all this for any touring bike. i run the 12'' premium hand adjustable shocks, and a really thin solo seat. my cvo has the 18'' rear wheel which sits a hair over 1/4'' higher than the 16'' wheels, so i have that to contend with as well.

can i flatfoot? no. but all i do is make sure that i pay attention to where and how i park. never, ever, park in a spot facing downhill. i've seen taller guys do that and have problems getting out of the spot too.

get the bike, and ride the heck out of it, and enjoy every mile.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:28 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,447 Likes on 2,777 Posts

The only thing on the fairing that you may need to reach is the ON/OFF button for the radio. I am a wee bit taller than yourself, and that button still is a PITA to reach for when riding. Simple solution, never turn radio off, just drop the volume down from the hand controls. That is it, nothing else out there you need to be able to reach when riding.

Quick Reply: short guys with road glides