Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

short guys with road glides

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 08:54 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The fairing is even too far away for Amazon people. It is a fact. I am short and ahve no issues. I put 13" shocks and a bigfger front wheel and have no issues. Flat footing is not something I find necessary but i am quite close to being flat footed with my Corbin seat.

If you ride a passenger maneuver the bike before the passenger gets on. When you park look at the layout before you commit. I see this all the time, guys who have no clue how to move a bike around. With a little thought before parking you can set yourself up to that you do not need to maneuver your bike back and forth to get in and out.

I still don't understand this flat footing thing. It's like you are holding up 900 lbs with your two legs. It is balanced on the wheels and has a motor so you can move it back and forth. People act like they are lifting 900 lbs with their legs. Misconception!

When I ride a passenger (almost never) they do not get on until the bike is pointing the proper direction and ready to roll. Just my .02 on the subject. I almost forgot, 5'8" with 13" shocks and a 21" wheel and no issues. If you are not comfortable on a big heavy bike out of the gate, take a little time and get used to it before throwing the old lady on the back and loading it down with gear. If you are a little older do some exercises to strengthen your body.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hogpro:
donmontalvo (09-03-2019), leachman (03-20-2021)
Old 01-21-2015, 11:47 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

5'8" Stock ultra was fine for me. I added 12" buky odyssey bars because I liked them. Used my C&C seat that I bought when I had my streetglide because I liked it. Never have had any issues reaching anything in the fairing going down the road. Don't think I'll ride anything different in the future.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:51 AM
y2kflhr
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm 5'7.5" with a 30" inseam, I have a 13 RGU and the bike fits me like a glove, I have JRI 13" shocks from my 09 Ultra classic so it might sit a tad lower, but I also have a CVO heated seat on so that offsets it. I can flatfoot the bike and I never need to touch anything in the fairing except my glove boxes so its not an issue. I can't see me riding any other bike!

Old 01-21-2015, 12:03 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

At first, I was curious what you meant by short. Then I saw the post above. I am 5'9" and I can flat foot with taller boots on. Regular shoes or sneakers, I am on my toes and I dont "feel" comfortable. I still want to get a lower (area) seat for me that has a wider and more cushiony for the wife. She has not been on it yet, but I can bet she will hate the factory seat area. (I have a 13RGC BTW.) So I would have two seats. I was thinking of maybe using lowering blocks to lower it maybe 1". Is that a good solution or should I look into replacement shocks?

Old 01-21-2015, 03:01 PM
ponybob
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 5'8" on a 2012 RGC. I had Mean City narrow the seat to get flat footed and added 10" apes to solve the reach problem. Always use the hand controls - fairing too far away.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:23 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogpro
The fairing is even too far away for Amazon people. It is a fact. I am short and ahve no issues. I put 13" shocks and a bigfger front wheel and have no issues. Flat footing is not something I find necessary but i am quite close to being flat footed with my Corbin seat.

If you ride a passenger maneuver the bike before the passenger gets on. When you park look at the layout before you commit. I see this all the time, guys who have no clue how to move a bike around. With a little thought before parking you can set yourself up to that you do not need to maneuver your bike back and forth to get in and out.

I still don't understand this flat footing thing. It's like you are holding up 900 lbs with your two legs. It is balanced on the wheels and has a motor so you can move it back and forth. People act like they are lifting 900 lbs with their legs. Misconception!

When I ride a passenger (almost never) they do not get on until the bike is pointing the proper direction and ready to roll. Just my .02 on the subject. I almost forgot, 5'8" with 13" shocks and a 21" wheel and no issues. If you are not comfortable on a big heavy bike out of the gate, take a little time and get used to it before throwing the old lady on the back and loading it down with gear. If you are a little older do some exercises to strengthen your body.
I am so glad to read this. It is so true

Old 01-21-2015, 03:28 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by orangevette
I am so glad to read this. It is so true
I'm glad someone agrees.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:34 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i was worried about flat footing with mine when i first got it but not anymore. like you said i just pay attention when i park. i was mainly just wondering about the stretched out feeling but it seems to be more a mental than anything. i will be test riding one this summer. problem with me getting a RG is i wont be happy without a 23" front wheel, some , apes, and extended rear fender and bags. not that it needs it but thats just what o got stuck in my head that i want it to look like

Old 01-21-2015, 05:50 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

5'5" all I did was modify my seat. No lowering, nothing. Did I say nothing? Of course.. all I spent was 50 bucks to modify the seat and I was on my way.

How do I do it? By learning how to balance my own bike. No need to have both feet flat cause it's not necessary. Even on inclines. I laugh at you guys that waste so much money with the little suspension travel there is on these bikes. I actually raised mine by putting taller shocks.

But then again im a ride not a poser

Old 01-21-2015, 06:54 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
5'5" all I did was modify my seat. No lowering, nothing. Did I say nothing? Of course.. all I spent was 50 bucks to modify the seat and I was on my way.

How do I do it? By learning how to balance my own bike. No need to have both feet flat cause it's not necessary. Even on inclines. I laugh at you guys that waste so much money with the little suspension travel there is on these bikes. I actually raised mine by putting taller shocks.

But then again im a ride not a poser

good for you. you should be proud of yourself for laughing at people who want that lil extra peace of mind. most of the time i tell people like to criticize others for their choices that have absolutely no effect on them to keep their opinion to themselves. if you cant be productive just keep it to yourself

The following users liked this post:
leachman (03-20-2021)

Quick Reply: short guys with road glides