Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question For those with Ape bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:23 PM
bufbills
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

I would think at your height 14 or more would do the trick. Im 5 7 and just went from 10s to 14s. Try to find some on a bike at a dealer you can sit on to get a feel for.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:25 PM
SOcRatEs
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm on my 10th HD- 2nd RoadKing- I am similar height/weight as you.
Ditto to what most have already stated.
On my first RK I went with 14" x 36" Wished I'd gone 16"!

On my current bike, 2012 RK, came with Buffalo Bars 16" x 43"x 1.5" MONSTER BARS but they had a strange, almost buckhorn geometry... They were way too wide, I had to literally turn my head to see mirrors, even when moving non-running bike out of parking space I have to let go of one side, too far to reach and when you're 2up thats not good. I have since installed 1 1/4 16" x 38" chubby bars... they are perfect!

I think it's much more than just measurements, it's the physical geometry of rider & bike too plus we are all different in many ways.. changing seats can do more to changing geometry, bike ride height, tire height, your inseam, the list goes on.

this is pic of my bike now and love it... G'Luck
Oh-yeah I switched to an SG seat at same time. most comfortable yet...

this is bike with monster bars
(I have listed them for sale on HDF classifieds)

Last edited by SOcRatEs; 01-13-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:36 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I got a question for ALL of you, there's tons of advice on what to get.. But what would the stock bars be? Could they be called 8"-ers or something else?

Old 01-13-2015, 09:04 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,785 Likes on 803 Posts

Stock bars on what? On my '14 RK, they are the Heritage bars, which I believe are 12"...

Old 01-13-2015, 11:21 PM
baldguy13
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 6'3", with a 36 or 37 inch sleeve. I went with 14 inch Vindiktas. If I did it again, I would do probably 15 inches. Only because at my height I can see the bottom of the handlebar controls taking about 10% of my mirror space. Because you're shorter than I am, that probably wouldn't be an issue for you.

BTW, Yaffe bars measure differently than most. They measure from The top of the bottom bar in the bottom of the top bar. That makes a 12 inch Yaffe measure the same as a 14 inch of other brands

Old 01-13-2015, 11:54 PM
Shane Grimstead
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I too have the 14" Vindikta bars on my Street Glide. I'm 5'8" and the 14" bars put my hands about level with my shoulders. They are very comfortable for me.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:29 AM
booch
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by baldguy13
I'm 6'3", with a 36 or 37 inch sleeve. I went with 14 inch Vindiktas. If I did it again, I would do probably 15 inches. Only because at my height I can see the bottom of the handlebar controls taking about 10% of my mirror space. Because you're shorter than I am, that probably wouldn't be an issue for you.

BTW, Yaffe bars measure differently than most. They measure from The top of the bottom bar in the bottom of the top bar. That makes a 12 inch Yaffe measure the same as a 14 inch of other brands

that is true, I have 10" Yaffe MBB and they are like 12's
They put my hands level with the fairing
They are really comfortable but I would like to try 12" MBB to compare.
Only problem is I don't want my hands higher than the fairing.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:48 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by baldguy13
Good, useful info - thank you. Getting interested in the bar swap project for next winter and that helps.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:05 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Once you decide on what you want go 2" taller. You will be glad you did. I am 5'8" with a seat that drops me 1.5" and wanted 10's initially and went with 12s. Glad I did. With my stock seat I wish I had 14s. You at 6' I would say check out 16s. The pvc idea is good. Other suggestion is to put your bike on the lift so it is level and you can put your feet on the boards. Get in riding position and close your eyes and put your hands out in a natural comfortable position. have someone measure the vertical height from the riser. Or..... just go to bike night and sit on bikes that have bars at different heights. I had Monkey Bars on my Streetglide and Buky Odysey bars on the RG and I let people see how they feel all the time. Don't forget to factor in seat height and pull back as well as wrist angle.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:42 PM
Beretta52
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys. I am leaning towards PYO 12"or 14" bars. I saw a vid with 10"s on a bike identical to mine and they just touch the top fairing. Hand position actually blocks out much of the stock mirrors. With 12" that should put me above the stock mirrors & fairing with hand position. 14" still unsure yet.I have a tendency to lean back a bit on the backrest so that too would cause my arms to stretch a bit to give me more of an extension and elevate a tad. And with the Badlander seat I sit lower anyway. I don't plan to change that out. This is one mod I'd like to get right the first time around since I really do not want to tackle this job myself.

Quick Reply: Question For those with Ape bars