Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Directionals on tour pak

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 12:34 AM
Tookey
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Directionals on tour pak

Hey everybody, I have searched countless threads and still cant find what I'm looking for. I am trying to make my ultra tour pak have directionals. I have a 2012 SG. I have all custom dynamics led's in the pak. I contacted CD and they told me I cant use the magic tour pak converter, and they also told me to take the bike to someone to wire it for me. I'm positive I can do it but not sure what I need to do? Thanks

Old 01-13-2015, 01:22 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

the turn signals on the bike use violet ( left) and brown ( right) wires...( blue is run, red/yel is brake, black is ground).

so extend these turn signal wires to your tour pak...you can find them under the seat, just follow the wiring harness for the rear lights.

I don;t know how the lights are in your tourpak, but if you were able to install leds, then you shouldn;t have much trouble.

I'd guess that if the tourpak lights are single filament type ( rather than dual when stock) you could use a HD run turn stop module to give you turn signal and run light function.

should be a fun project.

mike

Old 02-17-2015, 08:21 PM
jd800
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have searched threads about this for hours going back to 2010. There is a wealth of information on the topic but it just seems to be more involved than it should so I am confused. My issue is I installed the newer type led tail light bar and I do not have or ever plan on using the side marker lights as I have the chrome trim pieces. I have a 2012 FLHRCI with abs so is there a harness out there that I can just buy and basically plug and play or do I need to make one. The bike never had tail lights in the tour pak before. Do I just buy the HD module harness 69911-11 then wire to the plug somewhere by the battery. I have the service manual with diagrams. I need help going from the violet,blk,brn, blue on the lights to the bike harness so it has run,brake and turn signals. I appreciate any helpful insight on this matter.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:16 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 861 Likes on 321 Posts

Here is a web page with a diagram for a circuit using only 3 relays for stop/turn/running lights. I used this circuit on my Mutazu tour pack. No expensive converters. Just tap into the existing stop/turn and running light wires and run 'em through the relay circuit to your new lamps. Easy peezy.

http://carl.krall.org/wordpress/moto...-turn-signals/

Old 02-18-2015, 12:07 AM
Tookey
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate the info Frank, I ended up building my own wiring and making everything disconnect with one 12 pin DT connector.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:38 AM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 861 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Tookey
I appreciate the info Frank, I ended up building my own wiring and making everything disconnect with one 12 pin DT connector.
Yup. It's not hard to design your own simple circuits like that. Just a couple sheets of paper and a good eraser.

The most important thing that I learned was to fuse the dickens out of it when you wire sumpin' up. (I was a police dispatcher, but I helped install the electronics in the police cars on my days off. Radios, light bars, computers, etc.) Put the fuse as close to the 12v source as possible otherwise you run the risk of creating a toaster element under the tank of your motorcycle.

I made a small harness with relays for my auxiliary lights on my EG. I rigged it up so they shut off when the starter motor is engaged. The circuit also runs current directly from the battery to the lamps instead of going though all that anemic factory wiring. I get full voltage to the lamps that way. They are noticeably brighter now.

I toyed with doing the same thing with the headlamp, but I opted to leave it alone. As robust as my wiring is and as careful as I am to do it properly, there is always that chance that it will fail. I sure as heck don't want to be riding in the middle of the night and have the headlight go out. I had that happen to me on a custom bike I built years ago. Riding down a dark 2-lane county blacktop road in the middle of the night when all of a sudden everything went black. The bike had no aux lights, so it was pitch black! (Talk about the pucker-factor!) Pushed the bike the last half mile home.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:34 AM
jd800
Stage II
Default thanks for the reply

Thanks for the info now I can get my lights working and properly.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:55 PM
the rolling thunder
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tookey
Hey everybody, I have searched countless threads and still cant find what I'm looking for. I am trying to make my ultra tour pak have directionals. I have a 2012 SG. I have all custom dynamics led's in the pak. I contacted CD and they told me I cant use the magic tour pak converter, and they also told me to take the bike to someone to wire it for me. I'm positive I can do it but not sure what I need to do? Thanks
This is what you need https://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/image...etters/669.jpg you need to wire all power to your tour pack as if it was like a trailer ...$20.00

Old 05-12-2016, 08:09 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jd800
I have searched threads about this for hours going back to 2010. There is a wealth of information on the topic but it just seems to be more involved than it should so I am confused. My issue is I installed the newer type led tail light bar and I do not have or ever plan on using the side marker lights as I have the chrome trim pieces. I have a 2012 FLHRCI with abs so is there a harness out there that I can just buy and basically plug and play or do I need to make one. The bike never had tail lights in the tour pak before. Do I just buy the HD module harness 69911-11 then wire to the plug somewhere by the battery. I have the service manual with diagrams. I need help going from the violet,blk,brn, blue on the lights to the bike harness so it has run,brake and turn signals. I appreciate any helpful insight on this matter.

I just did this on my Road Glide Custom. You need to find the 5 wires that control tail, brake, left turn, right turn, and ground.

Here's the instructions http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J05090.pdf

This should be the wires you need to find. In my case the run brake are reversed for a FLTRX

Brown is right turn
orange and white is brake
tail is blue or sometimes yellow
left turn is violet
black is ground

This is what it looks like when all wired up.

Last edited by shooter5074; 05-12-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:56 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Quick Reply: Directionals on tour pak