Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might want to put a wrench on yours

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 05:55 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Might want to put a wrench on yours

Well, the left passenger floorboard assy fell off now. I didn't lose this one but the bolt was a little loose and when i flipped the board down, it sheared the "grade 8" bolt. After the last one, I added checking these fasteners every 10K to my service list. I guess it's going on the 5K service list now.

I'm assuming that even with blue loctite, those bolts are vibrating loose causing them to shear off. I'm using red loctite this time.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:09 AM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would replace the bolt and make sure the threads are good with a tap. My boards weren't tightening up all the way but they were torqued properly. The last couple threads were not deep enough. All is good now, blue locker is what I use

Old 01-12-2015, 06:50 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

I don't understand why they use grade 8 bolts on these things. A few years ago I lost the passenger floorboard assy with a kury adjustable passenger peg. The grade 8 bolt sheared off. Grade 8 are made to not stretch not for shear resistance. I replaced the bolts with grade 5 and never had a problem again.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:43 AM
Sam D.
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I just put a SE Clutch Spring on my bike last month... when removing the Left side front & rear footboard I found the bottom bolt on the rear board was out about 7/16"... The top bolt was still good and tight... I then checked the right rear footboard and it was the same way,,, loose... My bike has 18k miles on it.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:56 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Mine's good, thanks for posting!

Old 01-13-2015, 05:51 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by santajim
Grade 8 are made to not stretch not for shear resistance. I replaced the bolts with grade 5 and never had a problem again.
I did not know that! I'll try it out.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:32 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

About 5 or 6 years ago I put footboard extenders on front and rear, along with the bolts that came with them. I use blue loctite and have never had them come loose or break.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:59 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you sheared a grade 8 off, you'll shear a grade 5 faster! Check out the tensile strengths of those against each other.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:42 AM
HD-Gyro
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Grade 8

It's more likely that the grade 8 bolts were counterfeit. There's a lot more money involved in substituting junk for a high priced alloy bolt than a grade 5.

Larry

Old 01-13-2015, 11:04 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by santajim
I don't understand why they use grade 8 bolts on these things. A few years ago I lost the passenger floorboard assy with a kury adjustable passenger peg. The grade 8 bolt sheared off. Grade 8 are made to not stretch not for shear resistance. I replaced the bolts with grade 5 and never had a problem again.
Kuryakyn is complete crap products. I put Kury pegs and highway bar on a friends bike at his request, and the bolt and fitting broke on installation, they sent out new parts and than 1000 miles from home it broke again and the other peg started spinning because the quality of the product is crap. I will never install that stuff again. Locktite is your friend, this should be gospel on any motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Might want to put a wrench on yours