Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding security system

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 11:24 AM
BigBrainBob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jgsadler21
Hi, has anyone added a security system to their bike? I have a 13' Road Glide and am thinking about adding one since mine doesn't have one. Is it difficult to install, any complications, or suggestions? Thanks, Jason.
I would suggest that you checkout the DIY section of the forum. I purchased a small siren from radio shack for around $7. It's very easy to install and lots of instruction on to do it, it took me 20 minutes and that because I'm slow. Just find the plug on the left side panel where the fuses are. You can get real fancy and use pins to plug siren leads (2) into the plug, I didn't use pins, I just stripped the siren leads a little further back so I could bend a double the lead to fit tightly into the plug. but please go read about the procedure, $7 or $130 or so, I'm with the $7 for sure.

Now if you want the pager notification and all, you'll probably have to go the HD way $$$

Bob

Old 01-16-2015, 11:29 AM
Scaredofrain
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I guess so. Early Harleys with a security system had a push-button fob, current bikes (my 2011 does) have a proximity fob.

I don't understand all this 'PIA' stuff! An unlocked bike isn't secure, wherever it's parked, so to move it requires the key - and with the fob attached to the key, hey presto......
+1....

Old 01-16-2015, 11:38 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I guess so. Early Harleys with a security system had a push-button fob, current bikes (my 2011 does) have a proximity fob.

I don't understand all this 'PIA' stuff! An unlocked bike isn't secure, wherever it's parked, so to move it requires the key - and with the fob attached to the key, hey presto......
But if the key is left in the ignition by mistake, or is dropped where someone can pick it up, "with the fob attached to the key" that would defeat the security aspect of having a fob/security system.

Of course if anyone is more concerned with the 'PIA' aspect then security, they could always leave the FOB attached to their scooter. Or perhaps in the headlight shell?

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 01-16-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:05 AM
Scaredofrain
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by rjg883c
But if the key is left in the ignition by mistake, or is dropped where someone can pick it up, "with the fob attached to the key" that would defeat the security aspect of having a fob/security system.

Of course if anyone is more concerned with the 'PIA' aspect then security, they could always leave the FOB attached to their scooter. Or perhaps in the headlight shell?

Ron
the key is not used for the ignition, only for the steering lock and bags (if the bike is a dresser)
The fob arms/disarms the security system on a proximity principle.
So, all you have to do is put the "keys" in your pocket. Now, if even thàt is too much of an effort the complainant should better get himself a stack of burgers and stay in front of the telly.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:03 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Scaredofrain
the key is not used for the ignition, only for the steering lock and bags (if the bike is a dresser)
So, all you have to do is put the "keys" in your pocket. Now, if even thàt is too much of an effort the complainant should better get himself a stack of burgers and stay in front of the telly.
M comment was meant as general advice for those of us that don't ride dressers, and need an ignition key. Over the years I have read posts from members that, for convenience, keep their key and FOB on the same ring. 42 years ago, when the ignition switch on my CB500 stopped working, I installed a toggle switch instead. Of course it was out of sight.

I guess this, no key for dressers, is the same as 'keyless ignition' on Indians, right?

Old 01-17-2015, 10:32 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Scaredofrain
On my bike, the key locks out the ignition and the accessories when it locks the fork. It's all-in-one.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:38 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by jgsadler21
Hi, has anyone added a security system to their bike? I have a 13' Road Glide and am thinking about adding one since mine doesn't have one. Is it difficult to install, any complications, or suggestions? Thanks, Jason.

What are your needs or wants?
Factory style installation and function?
Just want it to make noise?
Just want it to disable starter?
Keyless / buttonless proximity style?
Pager system?
GPS location?
Budget?

Old 01-17-2015, 10:57 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

The HD security system is great. Just get off and walk away. How much easier do you need?

Old 01-17-2015, 11:24 AM
MILO851
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Farmerdawg
I did it myself, it took about 45 min following directions. You do have to take it to the dealer to have them activate the FOB to the system. I have mine for my 2012 that won't work on my new 2015, (shocker). My fob is active for this system so it would save you the dealer visit. Make me an offer and its yours, just sitting in my tool box collecting dust

I am interested if jgsadler21 doesn't want PM sent

Old 01-17-2015, 12:57 PM
Scaredofrain
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by cficole
On my bike, the key locks out the ignition and the accessories when it locks the fork. It's all-in-one.
It must be that different countries have different specs. My, also '07, Ultra was ignition off, walk away and the system arms. Try switching the ignition on when the fob is not present would have the alarm going and immobiliser activated.

Quick Reply: Adding security system