Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice winter riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 09:09 AM
Harley Hound57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice winter riding

So things around here have gotten tight money wise and i need to let a vehicle go can't afford the payments on both anymore, decided the Escape goes Harley stays. In about 6 months i buy me a beater car.

So i need to order me a full face helmet (Done)
Need rain gear
Need water proof boots
and some more warm clothing right now i have
Leather jacket, chaps freezeon long johns and i need some good gloves.

Suggestions would be great

Old 01-11-2015, 09:12 AM
DieselDave24v
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride year round unless there is Ice on the ground.

For wet weather riding I have Frog Togs highway elite rain suit.

For extreme cold I have the synergy tourmaster 2.0 jacket, pants, and gloves.

I am very happy with both. I rode to work Thursday and it was 14 Deg. I actually had to turn the heated gear down as I was beginning to sweat.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:25 AM
MDHD
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to here that. I've been there, just remember black ice and two wheels don't mix. TourMaster rain gear has never failed me, usually about $100 - 150. You might also consider rubber boot slip-ons.

Ride Safe...

Old 01-11-2015, 09:36 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,417 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Just like skiing - layer for warmth.
Leather cuts the wind and don't be a hero, rain gear works.
Keep your feet warm and your body will feel better, keep your hands warm and you'll be safer. Frozen numb hand don't react.
1973 - 1977 all I had was a bike and 1978 - 1980 had a bike and car, but car always stayed with the wife.
Been There, Done That
Taller windshield when you know it's going to be bad.
Wish you the Best

Old 01-11-2015, 09:45 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Look toward snowmobile gear.

Warm, waterproof, or water resistant, the gloves are thick on the backs, but thinner on the palms, which work AWESOME with heated grips, boots are comfy and warm...

I have a set, and have been warm on the bike down into the low 20's, and warm on a snowmobile at 20 below. (Different animal, more of a workout, and feet right behind the engine cowl.)

Old 01-11-2015, 09:46 AM
HDReiter
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ride year round and use the Firstgear HT Overpants, the Gerbing Heated Jacket Liner with the Gerbing heated gloves. For the rain, I wear Harley's Hi-Vis Suit. In the winter, I only wear the top rain jacket because the HT Overpants are all weather. I am still looking for a good pair of waterproof boots. I am looking at the FXRG-3 Performance Boots, TCX X-Blend WP Boots, and Stylmartin Indian Boots. The Stylmartin's might be a little too tall for me.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:48 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,339 Likes on 3,186 Posts

Some heated gear if your electrical system can handle it, and it's in the budget.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Exclamation

I've ridden in all weathers over many years, including snow and ice. Layers are indeed the right way for best comfort, but I always wear a proper motorcycle touring-style suit, which itself is made of several layers, plus tall boots and long gloves. I don't regard a rain suit as a suitable outer layer, if it is simply a single layer of waterproof material, not least because it doesn't have any protection worthy of the name.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:18 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,273 Likes on 4,442 Posts

When I moved to CA in 1978 I was 21 yrs old and my only vehicle, until about 1982, was my Harley FXS........

Granted, our weather here in SoCal isn't as wet as yours up North. But rain is rain and timing is everything....

I never had a rain suit, just good leathers... with the great rain gear these days, I would invest in a good set. I currently have Harley rain gear that works great.

I kept a change of clothes at work (underwear, socks, pants, shirts, shoes, and a towel) just in case I got soaked while commuting.

NOTE: Being careful in the rain is a no brainer, but the only thing that scared me was commuting to work on the graveyard shift (about 10:30PM). If you get caught in a heavy fog on the freeway, be very careful. Occasionally I would get to work and then hear of a wrong way driver on the freeway due to the fog... sent chills down my spine!

Grocery shopping was special. I had leather saddle bags. I could fit a 12 pack and bread in one, a 12 pack & chips in the other, and I learned to balance the other grocery bags on the tank.

I didn't have a laundry at my apartment and learned to pack & balance laundry on the bike as well.

Being from upstate New York, I couldn't believe how easy it was to go motorcycle only, year round... I will have to admit that I wouldn't want to do it now, but it was an experience that I am glad I had.

Embrace the experience......

Last edited by hattitude; 01-11-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:21 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

dump the leathers- textiles are where it's at now

Brando didn;t have a choice

When I lived in toronto it was leathers and a 1 piece rainsuit which went on to help with cold...and sometimes newspaper stuffed in my jacket too.

I really found that under 40º, under 50 MPH was preferable for any length of time- so sometimes surface streets instead of freeway for runs over 30 minutes.

I'm the guy who would walk in and order 2 coffees...one to warm each hand.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-11-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Need advice winter riding