Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice winter riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 06:14 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
You may be right...

I now live in South Texas.

Born and raised in Michigan. I lived 13 years in the snowbelt of Northern Michigan.

I have spent a total of 15 weeks in Northern Alberta in winter, and the entire month of February 2008 working, outside in the oilpatch, on the British Columbia/ Northwest Territories line as cold as 60 degrees below zero Fahrenheit.

I understand what cold is.

I still say, aside from the long dollars for heated gear (I've never used it), the BEST you can buy to ride in and stay dry and comfortable is snowmobile gear. My bibs, boots, gloves and coat are waterproof and warm. I have ridden my motorcycle in the snow in the mid 20's, and been fine. I've ridden the snowmobile to 20 below... granted, the heated grips and thumbwarmer on a snowmobile really put out, and your feet are up under the cowl, and you get a good workout throwing your weight around, all help. But the only thing electric that I owned gear-wise was the shield on my helmet.

And I don't care who you are, or where you are...
...even here in South Texas, when it's in the 30's, it's a cold ride.
bingo!
kroozeabout. hehe

Old 01-12-2015, 07:03 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mazz
take most of these answers with a grain of salt the responses are coming from south or warm weather states i don't know Sacramento weather but cold is cold its going be tough
Mazz

LOL. It hasn't been above 40 since Christmas here. Usually cloudy, damp, and in the 30's for highs. Teens and 20s for lows, except we've had several days where that was the highs.

You have a "dry cold" up there.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:03 PM
SunCruise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of great advice here. I will add >> when I rode with the half helmet I used the face wrap with the holes in it. Worked okay 'till I stopped for a light then the steam fogged up my glasses so much that even once it cleared (dangerously rolling on) it left too much condensation to see as well. The next winter... Full Face with vents, vents, and more vents.
SC

Old 01-12-2015, 11:44 PM
Harley Hound57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply's, lot of good advice.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:21 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
You may be right...

I now live in South Texas.

Born and raised in Michigan. I lived 13 years in the snowbelt of Northern Michigan.

I have spent a total of 15 weeks in Northern Alberta in winter, and the entire month of February 2008 working, outside in the oilpatch, on the British Columbia/ Northwest Territories line as cold as 60 degrees below zero Fahrenheit.

I understand what cold is.

I still say, aside from the long dollars for heated gear (I've never used it), the BEST you can buy to ride in and stay dry and comfortable is snowmobile gear. My bibs, boots, gloves and coat are waterproof and warm. I have ridden my motorcycle in the snow in the mid 20's, and been fine. I've ridden the snowmobile to 20 below... granted, the heated grips and thumbwarmer on a snowmobile really put out, and your feet are up under the cowl, and you get a good workout throwing your weight around, all help. But the only thing electric that I owned gear-wise was the shield on my helmet.

And I don't care who you are, or where you are...
...even here in South Texas, when it's in the 30's, it's a cold ride.
Same. Cant control the jet stream and when its below freezin here, the snow mobile suit goes on and I ride.
We dont celebrate those 7 months of riding then tuck it in. Here, its a year long festival.
Ridden in snow and sleet in Hamburg Germany and Snow N Sleet here in the Quad state area. SC,NC,GA,TN.
Freezing weather with snow and sleet and muck doesnt recognize geographic entitlement like some of the folks that arent riding this week.