Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Urn

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 05:32 PM
Lobo45
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank Urn

I have a 5 gallon tank I'm using as an Urn for a friend of mine. My question is How do I clean the inside of it , to get rid of all the gas and smell?

I have the petcock off and gas transfer line in the middle of the tank off ( not sure that's proper name for it) so I can shack a little bit of the gas out of it.

So what are some recommendations please.

Thanks

Old 01-10-2015, 05:58 PM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts

What year and style bike? If it has a filter or fuel pump I would remove them.
Then I would start with alcohol or acetone to rinse it out.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:59 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

I'm going to try and be very careful here because I respect what you had with your friend.
But don't put him in a nasty gas tank man. Put him in the wind...

Sorry for your loss.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:44 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

try busting up a bunch of bbq grill charcoal briquettes and putting them inside it for a week or so...they have a tendency to absorb odors. A friend had some frozen fish in a frig in his garage that got unplugged, was pretty nasty, but after a couple changes of the briquettes, it was much better. Might take a week or two (in case you're in a hurry). There's some company online selling piston cylinder urns that are pretty unique, too. Good luck

Old 01-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Lobo45
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I'm going to try and be very careful here because I respect what you had with your friend.
But don't put him in a nasty gas tank man. Put him in the wind...

Sorry for your loss.
Taking it to his favorite mountain out west, and spreading him in the wind. No worries that is what he wanted

Old 01-10-2015, 08:28 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

Fuel Injected or carb'd?

(is there a bunch of stuff inside or just a petcock?)

Get the tank off the bike, get it outside, drain as much gas as you can, pull any crossovers and the petcock and get the rest out.

Keep hitting it with compressed air to get the fumes out.

If it is a permanent resting place, seal up the petcock and cross overs (if any). You may even want to use a coating on the inside of the tank (Kreme)

once you get him in there you'll never get all of him out, I don't know what experience you have with cremains, but they are not what you think they are.

Personally I would modify the bottom of the tank so you can put the plastic bag the remains come in into the tank and close it up. Either cut out a section and hinge it, or if it is a final resting place find some panel adhesive from a body shop and bond a panel over the hole.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:12 AM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

If he was like most of us,the smell of gasoline won't bother him that much...I have never done the honours of carrying out someone's last wish,but have had more than one person tell me the ashes do not gracefully float out like in the movies,as the last poster said,best to keep them in the bag until you get to their final destination.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:50 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

I know these cost a little bit of money ... here's another idea. Sorry for your loss ...

http://www.inthelighturns.com/mo1.html

Old 01-11-2015, 08:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have disposed of cremated remains, although not in a gas tank. The suggestion to keep them in a sturdy bag is a good one, whether leaving them inside the tank forever or removing them later. Best of luck and good wishes to his friends and family.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:51 AM
juiced03
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Get all the lines, filters, pumps etc out of the tank. Hot water with Dawn swish around good and repeat. Sit in front of a fan to dry it out. Do the gas cap also. RIP to your friend.

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Urn