Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Aftermarket Seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 06:36 AM
Readyt
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Aftermarket Seat

I'm getting off a Goldwing with a custom suspension and custom seat to a 2014 Limited. We like to take long rides. Typically 600 mile days and up to 3500 mile weeks.
My Limited handles better than the wing but the change in seating position and the stiffer shocks hit the spine hard and have limited our ability to ride long. What are the experiences here with Saddles?

Here is what my research has turned up so far;
Harley Hammock-Is expensive, and I have heard the best but the hammock feature will wear out after a year
Harley Sundowner- Again expensive but I would be interested to hear what riders here think about it. I have no experience or knowledge of this seat.
Danny Grey- Looks cool but not designed for Long Distance touring
Sergeant-Seems ok but few HD options and makes the bike look like a sport bike.
Corbin-Offers lots of options and design features, a good seat pan with heat, great warranty but have heard its to stiff and won't compensate for the hard hits delivered by the Ultra.
Ultimate-The rep Rolled his eyes at BB&BBQ when I asked if he they could make a seat more comfortable than the Hammock.
CyclePedic-Looks promising, stiff seat pan, but has no heat option and the two urinal looking channels would be interesting conversation pieces.
Mustang-Great seat on my Victory but my wife thought it was uncomfortable.
Saddleman-I have no experience, but looks good.
Roadhouse-Is this a real company?

I could also go local and have the stock seat reworked?

So I'm looking for experienced opinions on long distance touring seats before I fork out over $1000 on a seat. I have always had firmer but on the HD that seems like it may not work.

Last edited by Readyt; 01-08-2015 at 06:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
FR13KSHOW (11-18-2023)
Old 01-08-2015, 06:51 AM
Charlie K
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Seat

My previous motorcycle was a 2011 Street Glide, my wife hated the stock seat, so I replaced it with a sundowner seat. It was very comfortable. I traded the Street Glide for a 2013 Limited. Around town on short rides of 100 miles or so the stock seat was comfortable. Any trips further than that, we were both looking for something a bit more comfortable. A friend of mine suggested we try the AirHawk seat pad. It took a little while to get used to it and get it adjusted properly , once we got everything right, we both like it a lot. It is a vast improvement over stock and much cheaper than purchasing a new seat.With the AirHawk, we have ridden over 500 miles in a day with no soreness. I highly recommend it.

FR13KSHOW (11-18-2023)
Old 01-08-2015, 06:53 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have tried everything from mustang to the air bladder zeppelin. I currently have a saddlemen road sofa, and its the best I have had yet. Its not perfect, but its 100% better than anything else...

Old 01-08-2015, 06:54 AM
Bayareastreethog
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out http://www.ccseats.com/ i love my seat on my 08 Street glide

Old 01-08-2015, 06:54 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out Mean City Cycles, they'll rework your seat to your specs. No personal experience but many people here love their work.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:02 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

If money isnt an issue, I'd go with russell day long. They build the seat based on your seating position (you have to send them pictures) the last time I checked, it was gonna be about a grand, and I had to provide them with a seat to modify.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:07 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

"Soft" is not a good thing when touring.

If you do a lot of miles, Corbin is the best out there, IMHO. Yes they are firm, but after 300 miles firm is still comfortable.

I can't stand a Mustang.

HD seats are too soft for distance. I've ridden most of their varieties. The Hammock would be the best of that bunch, with the Sundowner second.

I had a Saddlemen and really liked it. But it was when they still made leather seats.

And on that note, I will state I like leather seating surfaces. I won't wear vinyl boots either.

But seats are like women... you're not going to get a straight answer to your question about which is prettiest. Everyone has their opinion...

And that was mine.

FR13KSHOW (11-18-2023)
Old 01-08-2015, 07:10 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
"Soft" is not a good thing when touring.

If you do a lot of miles, Corbin is the best out there, IMHO. Yes they are firm, but after 300 miles firm is still comfortable.

I can't stand a Mustang.

HD seats are too soft for distance. I've ridden most of their varieties. The Hammock would be the best of that bunch, with the Sundowner second.

I had a Saddlemen and really liked it. But it was when they still made leather seats.

And on that note, I will state I like leather seating surfaces. I won't wear vinyl boots either.

But seats are like women... you're not going to get a straight answer to your question about which is prettiest. Everyone has their opinion...

And that was mine.
When it comes to seats, pretty isnt even a factor!

Old 01-08-2015, 07:22 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
When it comes to seats, pretty isnt even a factor!
Depends on your definition of "pretty" I reckon.

MY *** thinks the Corbin is "pretty" damn comfy ALL DAY LONG...

Old 01-08-2015, 07:27 AM
Porschemaniac
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the mustang and although it looks comfortable. It isn't. It has a set of stitching that after 100 miles or so starts to rub into you. Pass on the mustang

Quick Reply: Best Aftermarket Seat