Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Aftermarket Seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 06:15 PM
pbruce
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lefty33
Seems to be a lot of "pro" Corbin riders out there. Firm in my opinion is good.

I'm looking at their Classic Solo for my 2012 Ultra Classic...want a solo that I can add the rear pillion, backrest, or both. I do however require the seat to move me back about 2" as I'm very cramped with the stock seat. Down a bit wouldn't hurt. Any out there with experience with this seat that can confirm the seating position as it compares to stock? I've looked on the Corbin site and can't seem to find this info.

Thx!
I just got both a classic solo (heated) and Dual touring seat (unheated)......both brand new and awesome deals on ebay!

I've run the wiring for the heat but as of yet haven't mounted the seat....but placing it on the bike it does look like it will give me at least as much (if not more than the dual touring seat which was at least 2" more than the stock seat and more like 3" on the Sundowner.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:12 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Readyt
Everyone,
Thanks for your input. Its a tough call.
I'm leaning towards the Corbin but my biggest complaint about the HD seat is the harsh impacts from potholes and road snakes. Will this be fixed by the Corbin?
My biggest fear of the Hammock is that the Hammock portion will get stretched and wear out after a few thousand miles. Lots of used ones for sale on ebay
Before I purchased my Hammock I shopped eBay for months, the couple I found were priced close to new, they sell fast. If the Hammock suspension in the seat wore out quickly I would have learned about that issue on the CVO forum, overall those owners seem happy.

Having owned a Corbin dual tour, I can attest that it will not absorb road shocks. The Hammock will. Try one at your Harley dealer. They do, as well come with a one year warranty from Harley. With respect, I do not think your Hammock seat fears are warranted. With that said, there may be a better seat, I just know I like the Hammock.

The following users liked this post:
ffltjeff (02-24-2017)
Old 01-09-2015, 10:38 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
.... I currently have a saddlemen road sofa, ...
..... same here, & 5-600 miles days have been no issue

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
If money isnt an issue, I'd go with russell day long.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:41 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt

Having owned a Corbin dual tour, I can attest that it will not absorb road shocks. The Hammock will. Try one at your Harley dealer. They do, as well come with a one year warranty from Harley. With respect, I do not think your Hammock seat fears are warranted. With that said, there may be a better seat, I just know I like the Hammock.
If I am reading this correctly - you're saying the Corbin does not absorb shocks and therefore TRANSFERS shock to the rider and the hammock does the opposite?

Earlier you said you test rode the standard (non CVO) hammock before getting the CVO version........is the standard any different in height or perceived height due to thicker thigh padding with your feet down?

Old 01-10-2015, 03:29 AM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Readyt
So do the stock air shocks ...stink? or should I un the air higher? Currently 35 psi

In your original post you stated " 'WE' like to do " so my question is, is this "WE" someone on the same bike or friends riding separately? If the answer is, on the same bike, I would (although I don't know your size) say most definitely, you need to raise the pressure. I keep mine in the 45 area, I actually pump it up to about 47 and remove the pump. This is when I am riding 2-up, which is most of the time, so I rarely change it, but even the few times I have, I found 35 to be too low.

For the seat part, try the demo seats if they are in your area, as most have mentioned, there are several good choices and all are subjective. I have used MCC a few times and I think they do a great job. I also have two Hammock seats, one on each bike, that I have enjoyed without a problem. This is why I also say to try and demo a seat and make sure the Hammock is one. Several years ago I was going to have my stock seat (on the '10 Ultra) done by MCC, and so as to not have any down time, I purchased a Hammock seat to ride on while my seat was being modified by MCC. All I can say for that seat at least, is, it is still in the box and has never been on the bike since it was modified by MCC, because I never had a reason to remove the Hammock after putting it on.

Now before anyone jumps me, I did at least pull it out of the box and look at it, I had other seats done before by MCC, and this one looked great and I accepted it as great, since the others had no issues. I may soon throw it on the Ultra, since the Hammock is about 5 years old, and try it out.

In the end I would say raise the pressure in the shocks to 45 and consider the top three choices (for me and subjective) Hammock, Corbin, Russell. I hope you really enjoy the bike and the change to HD and find a seat that works well for you.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:48 AM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

After tring out a couple of seats . Looking at what they cost and you still have a harley seat or most of the after market seats are still a production seat . I went with A Sweet Seat in Tamps Florida He builds the seat per your weight and height . I had heat installed and he built the seat for me and then had it recoved in a snake pattern . This is not any cheaper by no means but i got what i wanted and its like being on the lazy boy . At about the same cost lol

Old 01-10-2015, 11:27 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay
If I am reading this correctly - you're saying the Corbin does not absorb shocks and therefore TRANSFERS shock to the rider and the hammock does the opposite?

Earlier you said you test rode the standard (non CVO) hammock before getting the CVO version........is the standard any different in height or perceived height due to thicker thigh padding with your feet down?
Yes, the cvo limited seat seems to sit a little higher to me..check it out for yourself by sitting on a new cvo limited at your dealer.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:23 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

All the Iron Butt guys swear by Russell. I can't get by the look so have never tried one. I have never had a bad Corbin seat but their customer service is terrible. I got mad enough at them a while back to go looking for something else. Long story short, I still have HD, Danny Gray and C&C seats on a shelf (pm me if interested) and am back on two different Corbins.
Your other problem is the stock suspension, it sucks. A few searches should lead ya to http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage32.html

Old 01-11-2015, 05:22 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,644 Likes on 1,122 Posts

When my Ultra was new, I thought the stock seat was very good and comfortable. Over time, its become less comfortable which I believe is due to the inside material/padding losing its elasticity and becoming a bit compressed. I think the stock seat just wears out. When people purchase a new aftermarket seat and mention how great it is, I wonder if they are comparing it to a new stock seat or an older stock seat that is worn out? I now use an Airhawk pad on the stock seat which greatly increases my comfort.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:09 PM
Readyt
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks

Quick Reply: Best Aftermarket Seat