Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end clunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:56 PM
yota
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end clunk

When pulling off the road and bumping over the edge of my driveway I notice the front end has a clunk. Any idea what i should be looking for or checking. And if you have a suggestiion also include how to fix it if you know how.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:01 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Front end clunk

Sounds like it could be steering head bearings causing the noise. The proceedure is in the service manual to do the fall away method of adjustment.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:41 PM
yota
Cruiser

Should this be covered under warranty. Also I see there is a grease nipple way up in nowhere land. Is there any hope that a grease gun may take care of this issue and if so what comes off to get access to grease it...I do not have torque wrenches and manual gets into something thatmay feel more at ease having a expert adjust.Thats the neck bearings I mean..Or is it simple. Whats the harm in putting up with this. Hurting anything right away..Also anything else it could be.?

Old 04-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Doc
Cruiser

Check to make sure the triple tre is torqued to the correct ft lbs. I had that problem with my Heritage. Easy Fix

Old 04-16-2007, 09:01 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, it should be covered under warrantee.It's something that can be done by someone that knows how to work on bikes so it's done correctly. It's not difficult but a bit more than the average person would like to do.
The grease fitting , you can unscrew and put a 90*angled fitting in it's place so you can grease it. Angle it towards the back so you can get a grease gun on it. You can get in there with a socket or wrench to remove the stockgrease fittingwith a little patients without removing anything.
Greasing itwould make little or no difference in the clunking. Have the dealer do it.

I wouldn't put up with it too long as it is hammering the steering head bearings if that is what it is and can make small flat spots in the bearing race if left too long.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Careful about saying it would be covered under warranty - how many miles on the bike? - have you ever had it serviced before? - the steering head bearings don't normally become loose overnight and the bearing "play" should be checked at the normal service interval. The adjustment is just that - not a warranty issue - just like, perhaps, the clutch free play adjustment (also not a warranty item). On the other hand, if the bike has been serviced by your dealer and then you notice the "clunk", you now have a dealer issue that needs to be addressed by the dealer, not HD. If the bearings are defective, is it because they weren't properly adjusted? Warranties and issues relating to the warranty are like opening the can of worms.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:52 PM
HardCore_18
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you hear the clunk/rattle coming from your forks. yes, it is COVERED under warranty. Not many HD dealerships know about this problem, very few in fact. I recently had my forks reassembled at EastCoast Harley [VA] and the wrench brought it to my attention. Apparenty, there is a part that if not properly installed by the factory, it will come loose inside the upper fork stantion. This will make a clunking noise. It is not a safety issue as I was told. The dealer replaced my stantion tube, seals, oil and re-assembled them for free- UNDER WARRANTY. Again, not many dealerships know about this. Contact East Coast HD for further info.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:00 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While you are having the dealer do the repairs / service required, have them change the grease zerk to a 45 or 90 degree one so you can get on it with a grease gun.
the standard straight nipple from factory is almost impossible to get on to.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:40 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 2,099 Posts

Does it happen when the suspension is being compressed? Do you have the front air suspension? It could also be a problem with the "anti dive" mechanism.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:00 AM
Snobal
Tourer

ORIGINAL: choochoo

While you are having the dealer do the repairs / service required, have them change the grease zerk to a 45 or 90 degree one so you can get on it with a grease gun.
the standard straight nipple from factory is almost impossible to get on to.
I put a 90 degree fitting in my '00 FLHT, but for the '06, I bought the grease-gun fitting thatslides over the stock fitting, thensnaps in. It works great! A few bucks at an auto parts store.

Now I have to switch the grease-gun fittings to service both bikes. I still have the origional fitting that came with the '00 FLHT and am planning to re-install it.

Quick Reply: Front end clunk