Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end clunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:44 AM
swalter10
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front end clunk

I had the same clunk on my 97 FLHT afterdealer did some motor work. I took it back to thethem after they and they tried to convince (Snow job) me it was the kick stand hitting the frame. I knew better.

I did some checking right there before I leftand found that when the mechanic reinstalled the gas tankhefailed to tighten the front tank bolt past finger tight! (Duh!)

Every time I hit a bump the tank would bounce and go clunk when it hit the frame.

SW

Old 04-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Detro996
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: yota

When pulling off the road and bumping over the edge of my driveway I notice the front end has a clunk. Any idea what i should be looking for or checking. And if you have a suggestiion also include how to fix it if you know how.
This is repost, thought you might find it helpful. Since the original post I've even found that due to the lower motor mount being loose the rubber bushing had worked its way out from under the motor mount bracket which allowed even more motor movement.

Someone else might find this helpful as well. I have had my 07 RKC a couple of weeks and have only put about 500 miles on it. I noticed alot of rattling noises when hitting bumps. It sounded like something up in the headlight was loose. The exhaust seemed noisy as well, not out of the tail pipes but just in general. Long story short, last night I started going over the bike and found so many loose bolts and screws I'm surprised parts were not falling off as I went down the road. Exhaust flang bolts, all the heat shieldclamps. The windshield bolts were just hand tight.The more I checked the more I found. I guess this is just an FYI for anyone else out there like me.

Hell it gets worse, got the headlight bezel off last night, only two screwsholding it on, found two of them laying inside the trim ring. (Which by the way I had the dealer installone of the extended trim rings before taking delivery ).That I'm assuming was my klanging noise. The reason I went in there was to tighten my handle bars as they were loose and could be moved with minor effort on a push or pull. ( also dealer installed) So after tighteening them I get to checking the two bolts for the handle bar holders. A turn and a half to tighten them. My bar shook badly at idle and I figured it was because they were the taller heritage bars. I guess my point is more FYI for any new Harley owners. I swear I'm lucky parts weren't flying off the bike as I was traveling down the road. As far as the taking it back to the dealer goes. It will be like my sportbikes, I'm getting a service manual and it will never see a dealer again.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:12 PM
06nighttrain3130
Advanced

I have a 06 night train and Inotice aclunk in the front end when I hit a bump some times. I just got 1000 miles on it the other day it is going to the dealer for its check up next week I will have to have them look at the front end .

[IMG]local://upfiles/19930/AB793548ECE740A1B4882719C4913858.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-17-2007, 12:47 PM
onlythebest
Road Warrior

My 07 SG does the same thing! I had the front lowering kit installed and that's when it started.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:10 PM
HogmanFLHX
Tourer

I had the clunk on my dyna. They said it was a fluid issue and it disappeared after replacing it.