Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In response to old bikers

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 09:07 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: In response to old bikers

Ol' Dealers use to be about the same size as a two car garage normally off the beaten path - they may have had 1 or 2 new bikes and 5 to 10 used... Used parts hangin on the walls
Coffee - HELL- always went there for a COLD ONE and drank till ya went down the street to the T_TT_E Bar till it cloded
The owner turned a wrench and may be had a helper or 2.... Repairs in most cases was done that day... Want to ride... Just closed the shop down and left...
NO HD Clothing hanging anywhere and a small display of Bling-Bling...

They WERE THE GOOD OL' DAYS

Old 04-18-2007, 09:09 PM
IamZardoz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sure there are more than a few of us that remember thelocal bike shop (hey, some harley "dealerships" were also selling riding mowers, Triumphs, rototillersect...) Coffee! Hah! No coffee, no lounge, hell, no chairs!!!I was thinking about the old Krumms on Bandera Rd in San Antonio for example.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Snobal
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saint,

What I liked was being able to talk with the mechanics as they worked on my bike.

The deal was, you had to buy the beer and keep out of the way -- but as long as you went back to the repair area to put afew cool ones in the mechanics frig, they would let you watch what they were doing, explain things, and make suggestions for future things to do, or more importantly -not do to your bike.

After stocking their frig a time or two, they told me to quit -- just have one when I dropped by, and as always, stay out of the way

I had known everyone at the dealership for some time when I decided to buy a new bike. It was great! Owner and I go back and get a couple of beers, sit down, enjoy the beer as we figured out what I really wanted in a bike, shake hands, pick up bike a couple of days later. Rode that bike for 10 years with no problems!

Those guys saved me a ton of money for stuff that sounded good, but did not perform. Several times I went in to buy something and was told, "Naw, don't do it." Or "Here is a better way to go, and much cheaper."

WOW! Have times changed!

Now we got this forum --- which sure beats 'going it alone.'

Old 04-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Storm 4 U
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dem days are done fellas but I still get that feeling at my custom builders shop. He'sgot a new good sized shop with the same crew, he works the bikes too and is extremely **** when it comes to your ride. Doesn't mind you watching but shut up and stay out of the way, period!! Kind a like it that way

Old 04-18-2007, 10:10 PM
ironhead1977
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nowadays if a customer enters a shop and gets injured the shop is in trouble. Best to head that problem off before hand. No ones being a B-hole that is just the way it is.