Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley XM Module Connection

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 12:38 AM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Harley XM Module Connection

Well I have wanted to add XM radio to the bike for a while now. I lurked and watched eBay auctions and waited for my time to strike and did really good picking up the XM module and the antenna in another auction (any pink farka Delphi radio antenna will work - forget the $85 Harley XM antenna).

I get all the stuff together and pull the outer faring off to install the module to make sure it works........... I find there is no connector to hook it up to........

So I download the instructions from HD, like I should have done before this whole thing started..... Well, what do you know, another wiring harness is needed! I have a Ultra Limited. I did see extra connectors when I installed the hd iPod kit, which included everything needed. I was stupid to assume the connector was there. So out comes the service manual and I start to look at the wiring diagrams. Yep, there the Ultra overlay harness is. Traced some wires and what do you know...... You can literally unplug the CB module and connect the XM module and it works just fine!!!! You lose the CB and nothing else. The intercom is separate from the CB.

So anyone who has a CB and doesn't use it can add the XM module without the costly Ultra overlay harness that the XM module instructions say you have to have............

Hope this helps someone save a few bucks.........

Ride safe

Old 12-28-2014, 06:14 AM
Rafkin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Tip! thanks

Old 12-28-2014, 08:41 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Good info, but no way the wife and I could do without the CB's. We just got the harness and have both.

Bill

Old 12-28-2014, 12:48 PM
HOGBOY57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been thinking about getting the xm module just haven't pulled the trigger. how does everybody like it and do you have to get a 1 year deal.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:47 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HOGBOY57
been thinking about getting the xm module just haven't pulled the trigger. how does everybody like it and do you have to get a 1 year deal.
I have it in my car and love it. I beat them up every 6 months on a deal to continue service. I have 3 radios on the account including the bike so I have more bargaining power with them. Plan on only having the bike on for 6 months of the year.....

Old 12-28-2014, 11:07 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by HOGBOY57
I had it when I was running my OEM HK headunit. The module is way over priced especially when you add in the harness and subscription cost.

Reception and volume are both subpar. Signal drops due to the lack of buffering in the headunit. Volume is noticeably quieter compared to AUX or CD applications.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:27 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sanman4ever
I had it when I was running my OEM HK headunit. The module is way over priced especially when you add in the harness and subscription cost.

Reception and volume are both subpar. Signal drops due to the lack of buffering in the headunit. Volume is noticeably quieter compared to AUX or CD applications.
Wow, I've had mine for three years and have none of those problems, including the price (bought it off eBay).

Old 12-29-2014, 08:27 AM
SD lumpy
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I have one that I took out when I put my GPS on. With the weather up here it is only on 6 months, have it in the the truck car and bike plus pay for the son in law it's his birthday gift. Any one looking for on drop me a PM have the unit and the harness.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:41 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

When I had mine I purchased it off EBAY too. Still pricey when you add the harness and subscription price in.

My new set up is no comparison. Streaming Pandora via Blue tooth provides better reception, better sound quality, and less advertisements.

If you factor in the harness, and module, and subscription you could go to an aftermarket set up with all the bells and whistles. Like the BT I mentioned. Sell that OEM HK to offset the cost as well.

Then if you must have XM the Sony aftermarket plug in is a mere $50. And plugs in just like the HD module inside the fairing.

Or lastly, consider the Iron Cross upgrade w/ BT.

Last edited by sanman4ever; 12-29-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:41 PM
rattracer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to WMT and got an XM radio for $35. Radio on the handlebar, antenna up under the fairing, works great. I'd suggest you try it before you spend big bucks on the module. Here's a picture of it on my SG.

Quick Reply: Harley XM Module Connection