Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercom bluetooth iphone gps

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Intercom bluetooth iphone gps

I've seen quite a few threads about the infotainment systems, Harmon Kardon, etc.

However, after reviewing many of the helmet bluetooth intercom systems like Uclear, Scala, etc. I'm seriously doubting the benefit to adding an intercom and blue tooth capabilties to my Wife and I's helmet.

My goals:

First off, it can't be a distraction...DUH! no fumbling with buttons, must be easy to use.

Second, Must pair with iPhone seamlessly. I should be able to push power button on helmet and it tell me it is paired.

Third, It should be able to receive a stream from Pandora on the iPhone and give me GPS Navigation from same iPhone. (I have a $150 pair of bluetooth buds that do all this.)

Fourth, I should be able to talk to my passenger AND be able to shut the intercom portion of the system off fairly readily. As in, I'm getting into traffic and I don't want someone babbling in my ear breaking my concentration

Fifth, The batteries should be able to last a typical touring day (yes, I'm getting lower on the priority list, but they can't last two hours and then need to be charged over night.)

Sixth, They should be FREE...ok, not free, but pretty darn close. Obviously every one of my goals that aren't met decreases the amount i'm willing to spend.

Look at it this way. I bought a $150 pair of blue tooth ear buds. they are Awesome for solo riding. Do everything I need them to do, except install in the helmet and not fall out of my ears occasionally.

So, if I could get everything I'm asking for at a price point of say $200 per helmet..I'd say I'm in the ball park.

IF the whole rig doesn't draw attention to itself and tell everybody who walks buy that I've got a couple hundred dollars of extra equipment on my helmet so they are tempted to rip me off, all the better.

Ok, flame on!

Mike

Old 12-17-2014, 02:05 PM
waltz4
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hearing in a helmet

I researched this subject extensively and my b-i-l and I bought the Sena smh10 units. B-i-l has normal hearing and wears a modular helmet. I am deaf in one ear and only have 50% hearing in the other ear. I wear a half helmet. The unit allows us to be separated up to a 1/4 mi. easily and still communicate quite well, probably further if line of sight is clear. You simply speak and the other person hears you. I wear the boom mic. and b-i-l uses the button mic. attached to the inside front above his eyes. Yes, even with my hearing deficiency I hear him quite well. My speakers are nesting in ear pads between the straps of my half helmet. His are of course inside the ear area in his modular helmet. You can listen to music via bluetooth, accept and make calls on your cell phone. Not saying this is the unit you need. Just sharing that it works quite well for me. Best of luck with your decision.
Merry Christmas !

Old 12-17-2014, 02:15 PM
DK's Limited
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, you have a wish my friend, but here is my 2 cents. I use the U clear system for both myself and my wife. The system has many of the features that you spoke of, but I must say I have had more than a few frustrations with mine. I seem to lose the connectivity (Solo riding) anytime I answer the phone, it is suppose to return to the XM but it usually doesn't. I just did the last update and have not tried to use it since that update.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:42 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,644 Likes on 1,071 Posts

From what I've been told and read, Sena is the company. Might want to look at the SMH5FM, as this one has FM radio built into it. It's the one I keep circling myself.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have uclear and love it but its for me only its too complicated for her for some reason. I need the phone and I hate fm radio etc and like always having something to listen to and gps with my iphone.

She has the corded Hd communicator and has the radio and bike to bike comm to herself. fwtw

If I could find a better solution Id probably do it too. I hope you figure it out I know there is a lot of talk on here about it.

oh I learned to haul our helmets in when we eat etc a 500 helmet and 200+ comm system yeah not leaving them outside very often unless they fit in the tour pack which isnt very often either.

Last edited by Car Doc; 12-17-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:30 PM
05softailnc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a pair of the cheapo ($100 a pair) ones off Amazon a couple of years back just to see if I would use them. They get used a LOT. Both bike to bike and driver to passenger. They do everything you said except for the easy turn off thing. They even answer incoming calls automatically and return to intercom after the call. They will stream music, but I do not use for that. They have great range, but do not always last all day on a charge. These are good for someone that wants to try the concept to see if they like having the intercom - some don't.

My next non bike part purchase with be the Sena SMH10's mentioned. All of my research says these are the best deal out there for quality and price at around $250 a pair. They seem to meet all your requirements. No radio but you can have a 4 way duplex conversation which is really cool if you are riding with a group. The ones I have now will link 6 units, but you can only talk to one at a time and switching is a pain, especially with gloves.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:28 PM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Anybody have experience with the Sena SMH10R...the slim ones?