Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Make me smart on the benefits of dyno-tuning an older bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:39 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,093 Likes on 655 Posts
Question Make me smart on the benefits of dyno-tuning an older bike

So I have my 04 RK FLHRI at the dealer getting some winter work done. I'm having them do the SE cam tensioner upgrade with the oil pump, SE204 cams (because they're free), new lifters, SE adjustable pushrods, and SE tuner/dyno-tune. The bike already has a K&N style air filter (which I don't think it had been tuned for) and I installed MGS True-Duals right before I took it in for the work.

I can understand why a tuner and dyno-tune would benefit a newer bike, since some of the emmissions features can be turned off and they have O2 sensors.

What exactly is the tuner going to do for my bike? I know they'll adjust the fuel to fatten it up, but is there anything else they're going to do? Would I be better off saving my money and just getting a fuel-pack or something with a canned tune based on my mods?

Old 12-16-2014, 09:09 AM
usraptor
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're going to get several who say yes dyno and an equal no. that say no, don't dyno. Personally, unless you have a really radical build and/or intend to race your bike at the track, I think the dyno is a waste of money. On my 2000 Heritage (A/C, pipes and cam) I just had the carb jetted and it runs great and has plenty of power. On my 13 RGU I'm just running the AC and pipes with the fuel pak and it also runs great. Now let the flaming start!

Old 12-16-2014, 09:53 AM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by usraptor
You're going to get several who say yes dyno and an equal no. that say no, don't dyno. Personally, unless you have a really radical build and/or intend to race your bike at the track, I think the dyno is a waste of money. On my 2000 Heritage (A/C, pipes and cam) I just had the carb jetted and it runs great and has plenty of power. On my 13 RGU I'm just running the AC and pipes with the fuel pak and it also runs great. Now let the flaming start!
I mostly agree with usraptor, if you have a carbureted bike and no computer or maybe one that doesn't have total control of your engine, then a dyno tune IMHO, is spending a lot of money for little return. My 04 1250 Sportster is a carbureted bike. I would never waste good money on a dyno tune, when myself and a close independent mechanic/drag racer is more than capable of setting my bike up to run incredibly strong.

I am not saying these new computerized bikes don't need a dyno tune in certain instances, but I do think a lot of the guys just like to make it known that they had their bike on the dyno as they hand you a copy of their print out sheet. As they puff up their chest.

My brother has a 2014 Ducati with all the bells and whistles. He has made numerous changes in air cleaner, gearing, hotter spark, and a few things I don't really understand. But he breaks out his lap top, has a program to change his tune, makes those changes and test rides it to see if it's what he wants.

If you are racing your bike/car or whatever, dyno tune is almost a necessity, but if you're just cruising around enjoying the day, it's not needed. Those with deep pockets will want it because they feel it gives them something over the other guy. I guess I'm always going to be old school, give me a carb, a screw driver, some jets, check the timing and I'm good to go.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:29 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,588 Likes on 973 Posts

Doesn't the I at the end of the OPs model (FLHRI) signify fuel injection? Would that be the MM system or Delphi in 2004?

Dyno tune isn't just for race bikes - every motor is different and only by tweaking and measuring at each rpm will you get the smoothest most efficient running motor. It's all about finding a dyno operator that knows what they are doing and willing to spend the time to do it right. More power across the board is the byproduct of optimizing gas and ignition at each level, not just better peak numbers. It doesn't matter how old the bike is.

Last edited by Joe12RK; 12-16-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:30 AM
Beak
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 132 Posts

Have had both, Canned map on a PC V, and a dyno tune, first by a dealer, and second my an independent. The dealer's tech ran it on their dyno, and it didn't run right. Had a miss at 2200 rpms that they couldn't tune out. The dealers dyno tech recommended putting the Power Commander V on it with a canned map. The bike ran great, better than the so called dyno tune from the dealer.
Moved to another state, dealers didn't want to service bike with piggy-back type tuner. Had moved to an area that had one of the premier tuners in the SW, so I thought I would go with the TTS Master tune and his tune. Not only does he tune it, he lets you watch every step of the way. You can actually see what is happening, and how things are effected. They also take time....usually a minimum of 3-4 hrs. The bike had never ran smoother, cooler, has more hp and torque. Also gets better fuel mileage.
A dyno tune is only as good as the operator doing it. Period!!! My first go round, the tech had very little knowledge of the equipment that he was using, my fault, assumed that a Harley dealer would want to have the best tuner.
Second time...had a very experienced, very sought out tuner do it. The difference is like night and day, you wouldn't even know it was the same bike. Both dyno tuned, but with different results.
The Power Commander was a good alternative for me, never let me down and the bike ran ok.
If you are changing cams and you want the full effect, get a dyno tune, from a competent tuner, it costs money but done right you wont regret it.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:00 AM
tsigwing
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

A good one is going to make sure that it is running optimally.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:18 AM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll stick with my carb. Old school and love not having to worry about all the computerized "stuff."

Old 12-16-2014, 11:45 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,190 Likes on 4,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Beak
A dyno tune is only as good as the operator doing it. Period!!! My first go round, the tech had very little knowledge of the equipment that he was using, my fault, assumed that a Harley dealer would want to have the best tuner.
Second time...had a very experienced, very sought out tuner do it. The difference is like night and day, you wouldn't even know it was the same bike. Both dyno tuned, but with different results.
Therein lies the problem.... Without a knowledgeable dyno tune operator... they are a waste of money.

Having said that, with a good dyno tune operator you will get the best running bike for your mods, whether it be FI or carb.

I believe with a carb bike and a good dyno tune operator, the dyno tune will be a better investment than with FI.

If you have an FI bike, I believe when you combine a good tuner (I love my PowerVision), with a map from a good tuner shop (like DynoJet or FuelMoto), it will be a better investment than a dyno tune.

I feel your bike will run really well, not perfect like a good dyno tune, but certainly good enough. Throw in a few auto tune sessions and the map gets dialed in to your VE tables. I doubt most would notice the difference between this route and a good dyno tune.

A plus, you'll be able to readjust the tune for any future mods, without the need to shell out for another dyno tune.

Just my 2 cents.....

Old 12-16-2014, 11:52 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

I was "sold" on dyno tuning back in the 60s at college auto shop with a dyno. No matter how good ya are with a screwdriver and box of jets, ya won't do as good as a guy who knows what he is doing with a dyno. With fuel injection it just gets worse... With cams in your bike the only way to get it tuned properly is on a dyno. Of course if the guy doing it is an idiot, all bets are off. Oh and Auto tune basic is off the table on a '04.

PS your statement "I can understand why a tuner and dyno-tune would benefit a newer bike, since some of the emmissions features can be turned off and they have O2 sensors." shows ya need to bone up.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 12-16-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:11 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,093 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
PS your statement "I can understand why a tuner and dyno-tune would benefit a newer bike, since some of the emmissions features can be turned off and they have O2 sensors." shows ya need to bone up.
I'm not sure what this means. Mind explaining?

Quick Reply: Make me smart on the benefits of dyno-tuning an older bike