Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Go for the higher lift or stay low and still happy
Go higher lift
43.48%
Keep low and just as happy
56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Andrews 26 comments (bumped)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 07:53 AM
jimfount00
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Andrews 26 comments (bumped)

So here in the Orlando area we only have a couple of indy shops that are worth anything. The one that I trust and use (been in business for 25+ years) is telling me if I want a good cam upgrade I will be happy with the Andrews 26.

I mostly ride my street glide on the freeway between 2700-3000 rpm solo but do like to "get on it" every once in a while with friends, on ramps, stop lights, etc. Occasionally my wife and I like to go for rides through the back roads here in Florida and put quite a few miles on the bike.

I was looking at the 222 or even the 555.

His concern is lift. He doesn't like going that high on the stock heads. He admits to being old school and if it ain't broke don't fix it but he works on a lot of the bike cops motorcycles around here and that is what he puts in theirs and he says they are very happy.

His thought is that if I want a reliable bike with more get up an go for a bagger w/out screwing up any resemblance of fuel economy then I should stay with a lower lift.

I told him I was a little concerned that I would want more a little later. His deal was that if I wanted to do headwork or something else later and if that cam wasn't working out for me then he would swap the cam at no charge while doing the rest of the work. That seems okay to me.

My concern is that I don't see anyone with newer bikes using this cam on any forums I'm reading. These are mostly older bikes TC88 or up to the 95"er.

Is he missing the boat by being a little over cautious and "old school"? Should I tell him not to worry about the lift and just install a bigger/newer cam?

I would feel better if I could just hear from people that are using this cam in their newer bikes and what their thoughts on it are.

Current tune is 80 HP and 100 TQ Stage 1.

Thanks for the input, I want to get this cam upgraded next week.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:00 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,818 Likes on 3,172 Posts

The 26's work best with the slight bump in compression that comes with the 95" big bore. Thats what my bike came with (with 203 cams,) and the 26's are just an increase in what the 203's offered. I'm very happy with them. I don't pull high revs typically but once in awhile I'll pull a freeway ramp through the gears just to see how things are running down there and the cam pulls strong into the mid 5500 range ( I've never banged the rev limiter.)

Reliable? I installed them Jan '11 at 81,000 miles and the bike just turned 147,000 last month. I'm thrilled with my choice of the 26's.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:02 AM
roadglider1
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the 26G cams on my 04 RG with the 95 inch big bore kit. Bike ran great, cam
pulls from about 2000 rpm up, and would be strong in your riding range. I do think
there are probably better choices for the 103. Why not make a call to woods, Andrews,
or Fuel moto. JMO

Old 12-14-2014, 08:08 AM
jimfount00
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Stiggy
The 26's work best with the slight bump in compression that comes with the 95" big bore. Thats what my bike came with (with 203 cams,) and the 26's are just an increase in what the 203's offered. I'm very happy with them. I don't pull high revs typically but once in awhile I'll pull a freeway ramp through the gears just to see how things are running down there and the cam pulls strong into the mid 5500 range ( I've never banged the rev limiter.)

Reliable? I installed them Jan '11 at 81,000 miles and the bike just turned 147,000 last month. I'm thrilled with my choice of the 26's.
Yeah. I'm reading great things about it on bikes that are a little older. I have a 2012 with a 103". Just don't want to miss the boat if there are better options. He just really doesn't like going high lift on stock heads. Like I said, he is a little old school. There is newer technology and I don't want to miss the boat. Maybe 26 runs even better
on the 103?

Old 12-14-2014, 08:09 AM
Tired
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,814 Likes on 1,761 Posts

The 26 will work fine but, why not get a bit more lift? The later style valvetrain can handle it with no problem. Andrews 48 or 57 would work great. If I recall correctly, the 57 is pretty much the same profile as the 26 with more lift. Get it tuned and you will get good fuel mileage.

I use the 48's and have no complaints.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:11 AM
jimfount00
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Stiggy

Yeah. I'm reading great things about it on bikes that are a little older. I have a 2012 with a 103". Just don't want to miss the boat if there are better options. He just really doesn't like going high lift on stock heads. Like I said, he is a little old school. There is newer technology and I don't want to miss the boat. Maybe 26 runs even better
on the 103?

Old 12-14-2014, 08:11 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,528 Likes on 22,675 Posts

Originally Posted by jimfount00
So here in the Orlando area we only have a couple of indy shops that are worth anything. The one that I trust and use (been in business for 25+ years) is telling me if I want a good cam upgrade I will be happy with the Andrews 26.

I mostly ride my street glide on the freeway between 2700-3000 rpm solo but do like to "get on it" every once in a while with friends, on ramps, stop lights, etc. Occasionally my wife and I like to go for rides through the back roads here in Florida and put quite a few miles on the bike.

I was looking at the 222 or even the 555.

His concern is lift. He doesn't like going that high on the stock heads. He admits to being old school and if it ain't broke don't fix it but he works on a lot of the bike cops motorcycles around here and that is what he puts in theirs and he says they are very happy.

His thought is that if I want a reliable bike with more get up an go for a bagger w/out screwing up any resemblance of fuel economy then I should stay with a lower lift.

I told him I was a little concerned that I would want more a little later. His deal was that if I wanted to do headwork or something else later and if that cam wasn't working out for me then he would swap the cam at no charge while doing the rest of the work. That seems okay to me.

My concern is that I don't see anyone with newer bikes using this cam on any forums I'm reading. These are mostly older bikes TC88 or up to the 95"er.

Is he missing the boat by being a little over cautious and "old school"? Should I tell him not to worry about the lift and just install a bigger/newer cam?

I would feel better if I could just hear from people that are using this cam in their newer bikes and what their thoughts on it are.

Current tune is 80 HP and 100 TQ Stage 1.

Thanks for the input, I want to get this cam upgraded next week.

Get the cam you want.
I doubt you will have any regrets.
Have your wrench do the work.
He may even learn something from it or your change in thought.
After all it is your bike, not his right?

Old 12-14-2014, 08:26 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

So if you trust your indy why wouldn't you listen to his advice?

Old 12-14-2014, 08:47 AM
jimfount00
Cruiser

Originally Posted by just plain john
So if you trust your indy why wouldn't you listen to his advice?
Yeah I know. One of those things where he is an admitted old school wrench and I'm stubborn and OCD. I did a lot of reading (probably too much) and ended up just confusing the crap out of myself. Want to do it right the first time and don't want to hop on the bike when he is done thinking it's not as great of an upgrade as I hoped.

Im sure it will be fine. Plus with his upgrade he will save me about $420 totally installed over the woods cam and install kit.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:22 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 567 Likes on 394 Posts

You realize you have 2 threads on this.

Quick Reply: Andrews 26 comments (bumped)