Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Go for the higher lift or stay low and still happy
Go higher lift
43.48%
Keep low and just as happy
56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Andrews 26 comments (bumped)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 09:40 AM
jimfount00
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynbob
You realize you have 2 threads on this.
Yeah. I didn't know how to bump and wanted to hear more of what people smarter than me on the subject had to say. Didn't want my original so get lost in all the other posts.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:05 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,528 Likes on 22,675 Posts

Probably hundreds of threads on cams.
LOTS of reading if you want.

I went with a fairly low lift cam too for my 96 as I did not want to put too much stress on the valve train.
The cam I am running now was recommended to me by Frank Drago and another indy shop up the road from where I live.

If you really want to compare characteristics though, look here.
It will allow you to compare 3 cams at once and about all cams that have been.
Check it out. http://bigboyzheadporting.com/tccams.htm

Myself I prefer a low end cam, one that comes on out of the box basically but will still keep climbing.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:24 AM
jimfount00
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Probably hundreds of threads on cams.
LOTS of reading if you want.

I went with a fairly low lift cam too for my 96 as I did not want to put too much stress on the valve train.
The cam I am running now was recommended to me by Frank Drago and another indy shop up the road from where I live.

If you really want to compare characteristics though, look here.
It will allow you to compare 3 cams at once and about all cams that have been.
Check it out. http://bigboyzheadporting.com/tccams.htm

Myself I prefer a low end cam, one that comes on out of the box basically but will still keep climbing.
Thanks again! Unfortunately the calculator does nothing for me. I may as well try and learn German real quick. Hence the other reason I'm searching here. There are literally hundreds of cam posts and I think I am now more confused than when I started. I'm going in on Tuesday to talk with the builder and the guy that does all his tunes (and did mine). Lots of questions for him after everyone's feedback. My original intent was more questioning whether or not he was being overly cautious on not wanting to go with a higher lift on a 2012.

This forum is great but easy to get overwhelmed. Haha

Thanks again.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:42 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Andrews 48 IMHO. Made specifically for your application.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...XK0xvK-8TkZ5qw

Old 12-14-2014, 10:47 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I read a lot of cam threads too, and understand your confusion. Many recommend they cam they themselves use, but the real deciding point should be a realistic range of operating parameters given how you ride. I don't know about how the rest of you guys ride, but I rarely see north of 4K. I have the 21's myself, and they pull hard right off the line at 1800. Even with my small displacement 5 speed bike, at 75mph I'm still turning less than 3300, and the cams are good to 4800. I'm not trying to endorse the 21's, or the 26's or any other cam for that matter. I'm just saying a torque cam with lower lift is good on the street. It also saves on stiffer valvesprings that are sometimes required with high lift.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Makdaddy
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

This link shows the best application
Hope it helps

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/image...2014-page4.pdf

Old 12-14-2014, 11:12 AM
jimfount00
Cruiser

Originally Posted by QC
Andrews 48 IMHO. Made specifically for your application.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...XK0xvK-8TkZ5qw
Thanks QC. I can't get your link to open. Disregard. Got it!

Last edited by jimfount00; 12-14-2014 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Worked
Old 12-14-2014, 11:30 AM
jimfount00
Cruiser

Originally Posted by just plain john
I read a lot of cam threads too, and understand your confusion. Many recommend they cam they themselves use, but the real deciding point should be a realistic range of operating parameters given how you ride. I don't know about how the rest of you guys ride, but I rarely see north of 4K. I have the 21's myself, and they pull hard right off the line at 1800. Even with my small displacement 5 speed bike, at 75mph I'm still turning less than 3300, and the cams are good to 4800. I'm not trying to endorse the 21's, or the 26's or any other cam for that matter. I'm just saying a torque cam with lower lift is good on the street. It also saves on stiffer valvesprings that are sometimes required with high lift.
Thanks John. I think you are right. I'm gonna roll with the 26. Keep top end running smooth for a long time and not mess up mpg too much!

He did say that if I felt the need for more later and wanted head work and to go bigger he would swap the cam out at no charge because he can just use it on another bike. That's how much he likes and uses them. He also said he doubts I will want more later. We shall see...once the power bug hits you its all downhill from there. He is confident and I guess I should be too. He has been in business for a long time for a reason.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:55 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Hard to argue with a deal like that. I personally love my 21's, I'm sure you'll like the 26's.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:23 PM
Devo6684
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put 26H's in my '08 RK, per my indy's advice and man, it really woke it up! Plenty of mid to high range power. Said it was a great cam for the 96 and stock motor.

Quick Reply: Andrews 26 comments (bumped)