Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now that was different... did something slip?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014 | 07:10 AM
bcane98
|
Road Captain
Default Now that was different... did something slip?

So I was was bee-bopping down the highway with my wife on back of my 09 Ultra (50k miles)... had some presents in the TP, but nothing too heavy. I was in 6th gear, grabbed a little extra throttle to make my way around a cager, when all of sudden it "sounded" like it down shifted on its own. It did not shift, but the 6th gear light went out and the RPM's went up. I know some of the newer cars have this capabilities... not sure what it is... and my bike has never done this before.

So I start thinking what it could be, and decide lemme try the same thing in 5th gear. I get into 5th, around 55 mph, and give her some extra throttle (not a grip and rip), and it did it again. It's not an explosive amount of RPM increase, but I can definitely hear the RPMs increase. At this point I have my assumptions, and ride the bike as normal all the way home. Normal riding has no issues, but I need some extra throttle I apply it a slow and steady to keep from doing any damage.

1. No burning smells... No leaks... no weird sounds...
2. I do have a Power Commander V on it and just updated my maps to adjust timing. My local mech told me my rear head was pinging when getting on the throttle
--- Normally happens between 2500-3000 rpms when I would get on the throttle... a quick rattle sound. I adjusted the timing from 3 to 2 in that range and seemed to have removed that issue
3. Bike is serviced at my local mech who is HD certified
4. I was thinking that maybe I need to adjust my clutch inside the primary...

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated... before I bring the bike in

Old 12-14-2014 | 07:27 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

I say clutch is slipping too...when's the last time you adjusted?

Old 12-14-2014 | 07:29 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

Your clutch is slipping. Id start by adjusting it and see if that cures the problem. Be sure and adjust it when its cold

Old 12-14-2014 | 07:47 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Yup, sounds like the clutch. 15 minute job to adjust it....

But do it with the bike level, if you take the derby cover off on the sidestand you're liable to lose a bit of fluid.

Old 12-14-2014 | 08:02 AM
bcane98
|
Road Captain

That is exactly what I thought... just wanted to make sure I was on the same page

Old 12-14-2014 | 08:37 AM
jstrenn
Tourer

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Yup, sounds like the clutch. 15 minute job to adjust it....

But do it with the bike level, if you take the derby cover off on the sidestand you're liable to lose a bit of fluid.

If that primary fluid is anywhere close to spilling out, with the derby cover off it is WAAAAYYYY over filled.

You would almost have to lay the bike on its side for it to spill out if it is filled properly!

Old 12-14-2014 | 09:02 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by jstrenn
If that primary fluid is anywhere close to spilling out, with the derby cover off it is WAAAAYYYY over filled.

You would almost have to lay the bike on its side for it to spill out if it is filled properly!
Negative.

Using the prescribed amount, and fluid touching the bottom of the basket with the bike LEVEL, as described in the service manual, it will drop a bit of fluid when on the sidestand.

I'm not talking a half a quart or anything, but it will run some fluid out.

Old 12-14-2014 | 09:47 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Negative.

Using the prescribed amount, and fluid touching the bottom of the basket with the bike LEVEL, as described in the service manual, it will drop a bit of fluid when on the sidestand.

I'm not talking a half a quart or anything, but it will run some fluid out.
, and that`s the way it has always worked for me. That`s why when I change fluids I always have the bike on the jack and level, so when I fill the primary up to just before it would overflow the derby cover. That works out to be the exact amount of fluid according to the service manual.

Old 12-14-2014 | 10:16 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
, and that`s the way it has always worked for me. That`s why when I change fluids I always have the bike on the jack and level, so when I fill the primary up to just before it would overflow the derby cover. That works out to be the exact amount of fluid according to the service manual.
+2 ^^^^ That

Old 12-14-2014 | 11:27 AM
jstrenn
Tourer

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
Hmmm.... I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years, cause when I drain the primary and then add 38 ounces, I can take a flashlight and barely see the oil in the primary.

Quick Reply: Now that was different... did something slip?