Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now that was different... did something slip?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014 | 12:25 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Question

Originally Posted by jstrenn
Hmmm.... I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years, cause when I drain the primary and then add 38 ounces, I can take a flashlight and barely see the oil in the primary.
Either different models are filled/checked different or I've been doing mine wrong on 3 Harley's since 2005. I have always filled on side stand per manual. I have had my best clutch feel and engagement with Dino oil and 32oz added after drain on side stand. I use Shell Rotella 15w40. Never replaced a clutch or comp. and no metal on drain plug.

Last edited by checkers; 12-14-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-14-2014 | 01:07 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Question

Hmmm.... I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years, cause when I drain the primary and then add 38 ounces, I can take a flashlight and barely see the oil in the primary.
Either different models are filled/checked different or I've been doing mine wrong on 3 Harley's since 2005. I have always filled on side stand per manual. I have had my best clutch feel and engagement with Dino oil and 32oz added after drain on side stand. I use Shell Rotella 15w40. Never replaced a clutch or comp.

Old 12-14-2014 | 01:10 PM
mongomark
Road Master

Do you have any engine mods? When I changed my cams, even with a properly adjusted clutch, it'd slip when I got on it hard in 6th and when it did, the 6th gear light would go out. I went with the 2003 big twin clutch spring and the AIM VPC clutch plate. It was a little pricey but I now have a strong enough clutch to withstand future power adds and my clutch effort is still easy and smooth.

Old 12-14-2014 | 03:52 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by checkers
Either different models are filled/checked different or I've been doing mine wrong on 3 Harley's since 2005. I have always filled on side stand per manual. I have had my best clutch feel and engagement with Dino oil and 32oz added after drain on side stand. I use Shell Rotella 15w40. Never replaced a clutch or comp.
07 and up are 38oz.

Old 12-14-2014 | 07:28 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master

Clutch adjustment wouldn't explain the 6th gear light going out. Only way light goes out is if outta gear.

Old 12-14-2014 | 08:33 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ghostrunner
Clutch adjustment wouldn't explain the 6th gear light going out. Only way light goes out is if outta gear.
the 6 gear light is computer controlled based on the speed and rpm that you're engine is running. if your clutch slips, then the rpms are gonna go up and you're computer is gonna think you downshifted into a lower gear. so yes, it will go out.

Old 12-15-2014 | 12:46 PM
mongomark
Road Master

Originally Posted by skratch
the 6 gear light is computer controlled based on the speed and rpm that you're engine is running. if your clutch slips, then the rpms are gonna go up and you're computer is gonna think you downshifted into a lower gear. so yes, it will go out.
+1 on that. The ECM has a map and if the rpm and speed sensor signal is within those parameters, it illuminates the 6th gear light. There is no mechanical 6th gear switch that's engaged when you're in that gear like there is with neutral. Any one of you can test this by getting into 6th gear when your riding and pull the clutch in. You'll see the 6th gear light go out. 6th gear is still engaged and those gears are still turning. The engine is decoupled from the gearbox and drivetrain due to the clutch disengagement and the rpm is no longer in the range that's required to turn the light on.

Old 12-15-2014 | 01:13 PM
screaminroadking
Road Master

With the recommended primary fluid level on my 03 Lorider, I never had it up to the bottom of the primary cover. With my 08 Roadking I never had it up to the bottom of the primary cover. Guess I too have been doing it all wrong.

Old 12-15-2014 | 01:17 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

Probably a Gremlin fell off and got under the rear tire. Have you checked your Gremlin Bell lately???? Or it could be a clutch adjustment.

Old 12-15-2014 | 07:56 PM
rleggs
Tourer

you are correct...fluid should just come up to the clutch plates bolt ring.

Quick Reply: Now that was different... did something slip?