Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bags again... Old bags to 2014 brackets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 01:10 AM
samppa
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bags again... Old bags to 2014 brackets?

I'm thinking of trading in my 2010 FHLRC to 2015 FLHRC (in local market we don't have FLHR as option). I have hard bags on my current bike and would like to use them also w/ 2015 if I ever get to that point.

I've understood the old bags won't directly fit to 2014+ brackets. But I'm currently using brukus style kit for the bags and it seems to me that there's some play with the speed nuts so maybe the play would allow using the old bags with new brackets... I know there has been lot of discussion of fitting 2014+ bags to earlier brackets but has anyone tried to fit the bags the other way around?

Last edited by samppa; 12-13-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:43 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

You must have custom bags that you would like to reuse or something.

It's an interesting question that deserves a response, but I don't know. Have not heard anyone trying it.
Not certain that will work without modifying (drilling) your bags.
Aren't the new mounts static in their positioning?
Probably don't allow for adjustments like the old mounts did...

Don't know if you can use the Brukus stuff with the new mounts either.

Maybe someone will pipe in...

Old 12-13-2014, 06:19 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't know either, sorry. Maybe you could transfer bags and mounting hardware/bracket. Is that possible?

Old 12-13-2014, 06:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I'm sure we have a few members who have retro-fitted 2015 bags to earlier bikes, so it seems reasonable to assume that the reverse is also possible. It's worth digging back to find previous threads on the subject.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:13 AM
samppa
Intermediate

I think the previous threads about fitting new saddlebags to earlier frame concluded that the adjustable front bracket upper hole needs to be elongated. Seems the new bracket is one piece and non-adjustable:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/fender-support-kit

I suppose in the new setup the only thing that could be adjusted would be speed nut position in the fastener hole. At least in the old setup there's some play that allows moving the nut in the bracket hole about 1/4":

But now when I re-read the old threads, I think maybe there's not enough play if the distance between holes 1/2" shorter in the new brackets.

If I decide to go on with the trade, maybe I'll ask the dealer if they want to change the brackets from the old bike to the new one.

Last edited by samppa; 12-13-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:01 PM
LilWick
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

14 bags won't fit on older bikes. Mounting holes are off by 1/2 inch...I was accidentally 2013 bags earlier this year...everything else is the same...You can put 14 lids on older bags.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:35 PM
samppa
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LilWick
You can put 14 lids on older bags.
How about '13 lids & hardware on new bottoms? If I cannot get older bags fit without drilling, maybe the most economical way would be to hunt for '14 bottoms from ebay.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:52 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LilWick
14 bags won't fit on older bikes. Mounting holes are off by 1/2 inch...I was accidentally 2013 bags earlier this year...everything else is the same...You can put 14 lids on older bags.
14 bags 100% and completely WILL mount on 13s and older. This is not in debate...There are a ton of us that have done it. All you have to do is loosen the front bracket. You MIGHT have to elongate the hole on the bracket but not always.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:58 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

yes, but the op is wanting to go the other way. putting his older bags on the new bike (why?)

just because you can go one way, does not mean you can go the other. while the older mounting hardware has some adjustment possibilities, the new ones may not and the holes may not line up.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:28 PM
samppa
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skratch
yes, but the op is wanting to go the other way. putting his older bags on the new bike (why?)
I prefer the "hard" bags to the leather covered stock bags of the FLHRC. And as I already have the pre-2014 bags, I'd like to continue using them w/ the new bike to avoid the cost of getting 2014 hard bags.

Quick Reply: Bags again... Old bags to 2014 brackets?