Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Road King Police or '06 Road King Custom

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014 | 08:24 PM
Griff Dawg
|
6th Gear
Default 2002 Road King Police or '06 Road King Custom

My quest to find the right bike at the right price continues. I found a 2002 RK Police model for $6200. I also found a 2006 RK Custom for $8000. Both have fuel injection and both have approx 37,000 miles. Both are vivid black. The Police model has hard bags and the Custom has leather. I would like your thoughts on which would be ther better bike. Thanks

Old 12-11-2014 | 08:34 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

2002 has a stronger crank so potentially longer life. I would go 2002 Police because it is less $$ and I love cop bikes. Talk him down.

Old 12-11-2014 | 08:38 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

the one withOUT spokes, tough choice make em both low ball offers and go.02 imo is a very good year,but 4 years older so close call,the custom will also have lowered rear shocks.02 has the best bottom end.06 has better flowing heads but epa cams.

Old 12-11-2014 | 08:39 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

i like the bars on the cop bikes way better than the beach bars on the custom.

Old 12-11-2014 | 08:40 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Both bikes are good bikes. I think the model year difference is worth $$ and the Custom would be easier to sell on the other end. The Custom will sit lower then the Police bike, a better looking rear fender and very comfortable factory beach bars.

Old 12-11-2014 | 09:42 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

Cop bikes came with Heritage bars.
Lots of little differences between the 2 bikes.

Custom is a good looking lowered bike that rides like pure **** but can be corrected, has no passing lamps, small saddlebags that let your gear get wet in rain but nothing a garbage bag will not fix, usually has chrome wheels, and as said nice clean fenders that look good.

Cop bikes lack some civilian wiring features and cruise is not cheaply plugged and played,but they also have a few more switches that can be easily utilized for accessories If a in service bike it was ran hard for certain, has uglier wagon wheels but a few hours with polish change that, has a tach, had bags have a "puck" latch that are easier to open but the mechanism intrudes in the bag and if stuffed can eat clothing, cop bikes do not have different motors but it is rumored that they do get the best ones picked from the line, it is a cop bike.

In reality both bikes are very similar and can easily be changed to suit you.

Do either bikes have accessories like backrests, seats, docking hardware, racks or anything?? What shape are they in??

Old 12-11-2014 | 09:56 PM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Griff Dawg
My quest to find the right bike at the right price continues. I found a 2002 RK Police model for $6200. I also found a 2006 RK Custom for $8000. Both have fuel injection and both have approx 37,000 miles. Both are vivid black. The Police model has hard bags and the Custom has leather. I would like your thoughts on which would be ther better bike. Thanks
I've got a 06 Custom with over 80,000 miles . Strong bike .Put in SS 510 cams w/gear drive. It runs great.
If you go for the Custom make sure you check the cam tensioners.
Make an offer on what you want

Old 12-11-2014 | 11:19 PM
Griff Dawg
|
6th Gear

I've seen the Custom but not the police bike. The police bike is 4 hours away while the custom is at a local Harley shop. The custom is in good shape and will be checked out and polished by the dealer. No extras with either one. That 4 hour drive (8 hrs round trip) is a big negative for the cop bike.

Old 12-12-2014 | 05:01 AM
JY Kelly
Supporter

I ride an '03 Road King Police Anniversary Edition at work. Not sure how an '02 would differ from an '03, but I can tell you that it's a fun ride. The bars, the seat, ride height- makes the bike VERY easy to maneuver. Down side- no ABS, skinny rear tire, 5 gears, 88ci. Other than that, it's a great bike.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 Road King Police or '06 Road King Custom-mc8.jpg  
Old 12-12-2014 | 07:46 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Looking at a paper with specs is sometimes not the same as looking at a picture.
Sometimes looking at stuff like paint condition, dents, metal pitting, leather condition, tires and general overall condition makes you think.
Then you start thinking about windshield or no windshield, how is the electrical wiring, do the leather bags have a broken lock, does the bike have add-ons etc.
Then you start looking at how it looks to have been maintained.
Finally it depends on what you want to do with it in the future..leave it alone, add stuff, remove stuff etc.

Quick Reply: 2002 Road King Police or '06 Road King Custom