Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Road King Police or '06 Road King Custom

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014 | 12:50 AM
bartk
Intermediate

very underrated bike the custom. You dont see them that much. I'm not of a tall guy and the custom is very comfortable in that way. Also done some big trips in europe with the usual rain and never had a leak bag. If you consider frequently riding two up i would consider the police version. i anyway put some decent shocks on both versions.

Old 12-13-2014 | 03:51 AM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

I wanted a custom but they were all gone when i started looking,
so I built my own.

Old 12-13-2014 | 08:46 AM
FLHPete
Cruiser

I have an '02 RK Police with 34k - love it. It's the definitive Harley, for me. Just paid it off recently, and would be fine to keep it forever. When/if I upgrade, the new ride will have ABS, or be a trike (w/ ABS). A few things off the top of my head that standout: the cop bike mystique, the open-out saddlebags, and the reputation of the 2002 engine build quality (research it).

Last edited by FLHPete; 12-13-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-13-2014 | 03:51 PM
Griff Dawg
|
6th Gear

We'll, the dealership is jacking me around with the Custom so it's out. I don't know when I'll have time to drive to Dallas with Christmas coming up and a son who is getting married 2 days after Christmas. If the bike is still available after that I'll make the trip.

Old 12-13-2014 | 05:41 PM
Tilter
Tourer
Old 12-13-2014 | 09:18 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigheadted
I base the ride like **** comparison from real back to back or side by side comparison, my main riding buddy has a custom and we frequently swap on ride because our bikes are set up quite different. The Custom in stock form is lowered and rides like hards **** compared to my non- lowered stock set up.

Leaking bags well MY own experience having owned and used all 4 types of saddlebags for the road kings, Classics, Custom, Hard and Police hard is both the custom bags and the classic bags leaked and my gear got wet, as a matter of fact Glennerd my buddy ALWAYS uses garbage bags on his Customs, he has 2 because they always allow his gear to become wet. Funny he has been borrowing a set of hard bags for several years when he goes on road trips for the extra security and weather protection but daily buse he loves the look of the Custom saddle

One awesome thing about Road Kings is the inter changeability of parts and looks. You can easily go from a windshield less leather covered bag cruiser to a batwinged, tourpaced, hard lowered long distance tourer in minutes.

My experience is the opposite in every instance. I do tour with a Corbin saddle, detachable windshield, passenger backrest and luggage rack and rider backrest (Does anyone leave a Harley stock? ), etc. Run a a Stage 1, SEAC and Thunderheader.

I have owned and ridden an Ultra, RK, Street Glide, Elec Glide, softails, dynas, sportsters, TCs, Evos, and a Shovel. I ride on the FLHRS just as comfortable and with dry gear as on any Harley. However, I have only been riding barely over sixty years so I still have a lot to learn. They're all good.

Last edited by txfxstrider; 12-13-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2014 | 07:21 PM
Griff Dawg
|
6th Gear

Tilter: sorry I missed your reply. By the time I checked it out on CL the post had been removed.

Today I tested an 02 RKC with 37k on it. The bike is carbureted and looks ultra clean. The owner has already put a hydraulic cam chain tensioner on it. It comes with a new rear tire, neon lights (not that I care, but kinda cool), extra new windshield, extra new Mustang solo seat, rechromed everything on the engine, luggage rack, the paint is in great shape, Rineheart tips. $6200. I'm just making sure the title is clear.

Last edited by Griff Dawg; 12-16-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-16-2014 | 08:00 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member

Not that it matters, but it's a standard RK. The RKCs all had fuel injection & tank badges instead of the painted HD. There's nothing wrong with the standard RK, it just lacks FI, carb can be less troublesome on an older bike, the RK didn't have cruise control standard either. Looks nice & sounds like a good deal, especially with the upgraded tensioners, good luck with the buy.

Old 12-16-2014 | 08:56 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

I've never had a Road King but my 2006 Ultra, out of four that I've had, including a 2002 model-year, was absolutely the best Harley I've ever owned. Many times have I wished I had it over my 2010.

Old 12-16-2014 | 09:06 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Griff Dawg
Tilter: sorry I missed your reply. By the time I checked it out on CL the post had been removed.

Today I tested an 02 RKC with 37k on it. The bike is carbureted and looks ultra clean. The owner has already put a hydraulic cam chain tensioner on it. It comes with a new rear tire, neon lights (not that I care, but kinda cool), extra new windshield, extra new Mustang solo seat, rechromed everything on the engine, luggage rack, the paint is in great shape, Rineheart tips. $6200. I'm just making sure the title is clear.

Looks like a nice bike. Is it an 88CI motor? How does it sound with those Rhineharts?
my '01 has 37k, still running great.

Quick Reply: 2002 Road King Police or '06 Road King Custom