Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

APE HANGER FOR RK

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:33 PM
1ADAM12
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APE HANGER FOR RK

[sm=alcoholic.gif]IM THINKING OF PUTTTING 12 OR 14 INCH CUBBY APES ON MY 06 RK, I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP WINDSHIELD IM 6 FT TALL I JUST DON'T KNOW WHICH ONE WOULD WORK OUT BETTER I ALSO HEAR THAT THEY ARE HARDER TO RIDE WITH THE STOCK BARS R TERRIBLE ANY SUGGESTIONS?????????

Old 04-15-2007, 03:55 PM
tireater
Banned
Default RE: APE HANGER FOR RK

Did you try to sit on some bike to see which bars you like - DON'T SWITCH TO APES UNLESS YOU TRY THEM FIRST...
You need to figure out what YOU want before you make any change. My 05 Elec. Glide stock bars seem OK to me...

Old 04-15-2007, 07:03 PM
whateva
Tourer

Heres mine with the 12"

Old 04-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Sucio
Advanced

I have 16" apes and I love them. I am 6'4" though and the stock bars were uncomfortable and were almost dangerous in slow speed turns and such due to the fact that I would bump into my legs with them. I agree with the above post, try and find someone who already has apes and ask to sit on their bike to see how high you want to go. I know not everyone likes apes, but for me, this was one of the best mods I made. The apes are more comfortable for me, and IMO, they are not any more difficult to ride. I've heard the stories that they put your hands to sleep, but I have never experienced this. My bars put my hands directly in front of my shoulders and not above my head so I don't have this problem. Go with what you like and what is comfortable for you!!

Old 04-15-2007, 07:14 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Will work fine and look GREAT!!!

Old 04-15-2007, 09:59 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am going withthe Wild1 12.5 apes. They are right. Find a bike that you can sit on. I mounted my bars and sat on the bike for a while to see if I'd like it. Lucky I had the garage door down and the neighbors didn't hear me going vrooooooom!

Old 04-16-2007, 06:00 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I am 6'1" and will be adding 18" apes. I went to a local bike show a month ago and found a indy shop near me that will buy all the parts and install them for $800. I know this may sound like to much, but for the parts he is buying, I researched it and the parts alone can cost as much as $550 retail. So I am waiting for shooter64 to price out the same setup for me, and if he has a better deal, I am thinking of doing the install myself. I am a lil worried about it. Once the bars are off, if I get stuck, I don't know whatI would do. It isn't like I could just ride it a shop to fix it, the bars will be off.

At the show he had a rk with 16' on it. He made me sit on the bike to test fit it. I only have a 31" inseem. My torso is longer, I guess, than most. The 16' went to just under my shoulders. Besides, seems like everyone has 16"s, so 18"s would be a lil different. And different is good. Once I have made up my mind and get the job done, by me or the shop, I will figure out how to add some pics.

I love apes, love the looks of them. The stock bars on my rk custom are not all that uncomfortable, but just not the look I want. And for me, I need to be able to keep the windsheild on at times. I am 350 lbs with a broad front chest, 64". I need the wind break on the highway.

Either way you go, installing them, they are not a cheap addition. Make sure you get a chance to measure yourself against different bar heights. Good luck, and good riding! And welcome to the forum.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:01 AM
whateva
Tourer

I dont think that $800 is way too much. Especially if they are chroming the controls and braided cables etc. I would be a little concerned about the 18" bars though. That is up there and in my opinion (which really doesnt matter), it could get very uncomfortable on a long ride. Just below shoulder height is good. Maybe thats why so many have the 16s. Good luck

Old 04-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am 6'1" and will be adding 18" apes. I went to a local bike show a month ago and found a indy shop near me that will buy all the parts and install them for $800. I know this may sound like to much, but for the parts he is buying, I researched it and the parts alone can cost as much as $550 retail. So I am waiting for shooter64 to price out the same setup for me, and if he has a better deal, I am thinking of doing the install myself. I am a lil worried about it. Once the bars are off, if I get stuck, I don't know whatI would do. It isn't like I could just ride it a shop to fix it, the bars will be off.

At the show he had a rk with 16' on it. He made me sit on the bike to test fit it. I only have a 31" inseem. My torso is longer, I guess, than most. The 16' went to just under my shoulders. Besides, seems like everyone has 16"s, so 18"s would be a lil different. And different is good. Once I have made up my mind and get the job done, by me or the shop, I will figure out how to add some pics.

I love apes, love the looks of them. The stock bars on my rk custom are not all that uncomfortable, but just not the look I want. And for me, I need to be able to keep the windsheild on at times. I am 350 lbs with a broad front chest, 64". I need the wind break on the highway.

Either way you go, installing them, they are not a cheap addition. Make sure you get a chance to measure yourself against different bar heights. Good luck, and good riding! And welcome to the forum.
I got all my parts off Ebay with the exception of the braided lines. I got them from Shooter. Shooter prices are good. I didn't know about him when I got my other parts. I hope my cables will be in this week. One was on back oreder. Installing handlebars yourself isn't bad, but the switch housing work isa real pain. I will never do it again. Also if you do the work yourself once you get the nacelle off, you are going to want to chrome the front end and since you have to take off the slip on you might as well go to the true duals.....Well, that's what happened to me.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:43 PM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking about going with the 12" hangers or the Heritage bars.

Quick Reply: APE HANGER FOR RK