Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Billet saddlebag latch Covers

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007 | 04:04 AM
Cowboy49
|
Tourer
Default Billet saddlebag latch Covers

I bought a set of these off ebay for half the price of what the dealer wants. Got em in the mail and was really impressed with the quality of the product. However, when I tried to install I found the holes don't line up. Seems that the inside of these covers needs to be lathed out a bit more in order to fit properly over the latches.

Does anyone know if there are different styles of these latch covers or the latches themselves, or did I just get a reject product??

[IMG]local://upfiles/11998/B162F8D49A0C4A5E850E7D72D6E83514.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-15-2007 | 04:31 AM
bvette94
Tourer
Default RE: Billet saddlebag latch Covers

i am gonna follow this thread because i was gonna order a pair too. Let us know what you find out.I think they look great.

Old 04-15-2007 | 05:50 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member

Installed a set on my Kids '05 Road King Std - No Problem when we did it?? Look Good Fit well - 30 min install...

Put HD Lighted set on my '07 Road Glide - Took a bit longer to drill the holes and run the wires... But work great and like more light and they also work with the directional...

Old 04-15-2007 | 09:51 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey cowboy, I have these same latch covers on my bike and they fit perfectly without any mods. Which holes are not lining up for you?

Old 04-15-2007 | 12:45 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member

No problem with mine

Dan

Old 04-15-2007 | 01:23 PM
celtic king
Cruiser

I put mine on a few weeks ago and I had a problem on both side, for the screws closest to the lock not going in straight or completly and all the screws were the same so yesterday I took my time and re did everything.
OK at first when looking at the instructions previously it made no sence to "follow directions" and completly removemechanism so, I only removed what was required and it went on #1screw went in no problem, #2 got very tight and was going in crooked and would not tighten to become flush.

So provided instruction as necessary..........hmm
Findings -New screws are chrome, softer easier to cross thread
What did I due to resolve -put the original screw in from the rear, using WD-40 slowly rethread,very little at a time back and forth untilit was all the way thru - could be concidered as re tapping.
Complete, 30 minutes of valuable riding time wasted but it worked, prefect !!!
not sure if it is the same screw holes you are talking, but this may help.

Celtic King
2004 Road King
Southern California

Old 04-15-2007 | 01:45 PM
Cowboy49
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Pastor John

Hey cowboy, I have these same latch covers on my bike and they fit perfectly without any mods. Which holes are not lining up for you?

Pastor those look great on your bags. I paid $75 for these areknock offaccessoriesso that's got me a little suspicious. New ones from HD are about $140. The topoutside holes line up OK but whenthey are screwed in, the cover won't lay flat against the latch and the lock hole doesn't line up. It's almost like the inside of the cover needs to be milled out to allow it to lay flat against the latch. Think I'lltry the other side today and see if it works.

Old 04-15-2007 | 01:51 PM
Cowboy49
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: celtic king

I put mine on a few weeks ago and I had a problem on both side, for the screws closest to the lock not going in straight or completly and all the screws were the same so yesterday I took my time and re did everything.
OK at first when looking at the instructions previously it made no sence to "follow directions" and completly removemechanism so, I only removed what was required and it went on #1screw went in no problem, #2 got very tight and was going in crooked and would not tighten to become flush.

So provided instruction as necessary..........hmm
Findings -New screws are chrome, softer easier to cross thread
What did I due to resolve -put the original screw in from the rear, using WD-40 slowly rethread,very little at a time back and forth untilit was all the way thru - could be concidered as re tapping.
Complete, 30 minutes of valuable riding time wasted but it worked, prefect !!!
not sure if it is the same screw holes you are talking, but this may help.

Celtic King
2004 Road King
Southern California
Celtic I didn't get instructions with this set. Maybe taking the whole latch off is the answer.

Old 04-15-2007 | 04:38 PM
celtic king
Cruiser

Cowboy,
If you still have problems, email me a fax#, I will look for the instructions and fax them to you tomorrow from work

I should have them but may require searching thru trash, no problem though, anything too help a member out

Celtic King
2004 Road King
Southern California