Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall folks with a Sundowner on your Road King

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:26 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,093 Likes on 655 Posts
Default Tall folks with a Sundowner on your Road King

I'm borrowing a Sundowner seat and an adjustable back rest from my local HD dealer to try out for a few days. This is on my 2004 RK. So far it feels very comfortable and with the back rest I feel like taking a long trip somewhere. But I'm not going to get a lot of seat time before I have to return it with rain in the forecast.

I'm 6'3" with a 35" inseam. I feel like the seat puts me an inch or so too far forward but I'm not sure yet. And I'm not sure a seat could go much further back and still be able to use a back rest. I'm just looking for some tall folks who have had their Sundowners for a while and how they like it.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:26 AM
RKC rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the H-D sundowner on my 2003 RKC....moved me forward at least an inch for sure, which I didn't like........but when the wife went along she loved the passenger section.....so we all know how that went.....I did have a H-D brawler solo seat which was on most of the time anyway

Old 12-06-2014, 09:00 AM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a C&C Sport Tour two up seat that sits you back a couple of inches and down an inch compared to stock with a backrest. Great for taller riders. I have one that I'm willing to sell but it's not cheap.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:20 AM
rlgood
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the sundowner on my 04 RKC and i'm 6'1. I really liked the deeper bucket, so much so that I quit using my adjustable back rest for the most part. Seat was comfortable and as another one said, my wife loved her part of it, so it stayed. Just bought a new SGS and hoping to stay with the stock seat, if I can convince her. YEAH RIGHT!

Old 12-06-2014, 12:38 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Had one on my 2004 King, it was better than stock, way better than Tallboy but sucks in comparison to the Corbin Dual Tour. 6'3" 33" Inseam.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:45 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,093 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
Had one on my 2004 King, it was better than stock, way better than Tallboy but sucks in comparison to the Corbin Dual Tour. 6'3" 33" Inseam.
What specific advantages did you find in the Dual Tour over the Sundowner?

Old 12-06-2014, 01:37 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

On longer rides the sundowner became uncomfortable with some severe hot spots, I had to use a sheepskin and backrest switching the combination several times during a long ride.

I picked up a used Dual Tour and at first found it too hard and felt it would be uncomfortable but gave it a fair shake.

I ride from my home to Phoenix frequently and it is just under 1000 miles from my driveway to my Brothers. My first ride with the Corbin was great and it was not until I got to Phoenix and was unpacking the bike when I realized I had no need of the sheepskin during the ride but did use the backrest. My *** and legs had no hotspots or soreness or pain. That was when I realized how much more comfy the Corbin really was.

I also liked the seating position as it was lower and further back plus narrower at the front.

Same bike model, same handlebars,boots, Tourmaster riding pants and same LD Comfort underwear. Only difference is the seat.

This was my own experience and others results may be different.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:17 PM
dspencer
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have sundowner on my 03. It is good seat but moves me a little forward. I May be going to hammock seat so if you want to try mine gator a good price- pm me

Old 12-06-2014, 03:31 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

FWIW there is actually a good bit of adjustment available for the rider backrest if you take a look. Bending the metal is easy on bothe styles.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:10 PM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I tried a sun downer solo on my street glide and it pushed me at least 2 or 3 inches forward, and my long legs had bend at some really awkward angles to hit the brake. It was really comfy and I felt more centered on the bike, but I couldn't find a way to get my legs comfortably under me

Quick Reply: Tall folks with a Sundowner on your Road King