Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 street glide battery dead???????????

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 11:21 PM
roadking48
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 street glide battery dead???????????

Tried to start bike in Oct. for a ride and battery dead?? 3rd bike and never had to put battery tender all winter on other 2 bikes and always started! Question is 2012 bikes different that they draw battery down setting in garage? Thanks, Mark

Old 12-04-2014, 11:33 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

an alarm or radio memory will draw power.

the most common drain is electrons flowing between the poles on the battery case through dirt and moisture

Many of us replace with big krank batteries by east penn/ deka.
check amazon or ebay, about $100- see if you can bundle with a battery tender.

once discharged a battery will only recharge to about 60% of it's previous capacity...so even if yours charges up it is on it;s way out. You may as well choose to replace it on your terms rather than roadside.

Mike

Old 12-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

With all the electronics on modern bikes it is best to always keep them on a tender when not being ridden at least weekly.

I always plug mine in when putting away.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
With all the electronics on modern bikes it is best to always keep them on a tender when not being ridden at least weekly.

I always plug mine in when putting away.
So do I. You learn these things the hard way. Remember, experience is what you get two seconds after you need it.

I use a $25 Schumacher tender available at Walmart. Works like a champ and includes all pigtails needed. Will even match up to the dealer tender pigtail if your dealer installed one on that 2012.

I went with the Big Crank battery. The HD battery is OK, just way overpriced for what you get.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:35 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking48
Tried to start bike in Oct. for a ride and battery dead?? 3rd bike and never had to put battery tender all winter on other 2 bikes and always started! Question is 2012 bikes different that they draw battery down setting in garage? Thanks, Mark
Nothing all that different about a 2012.

You didn't list what your other bikes were, or if your 2012 Street Glide has the security system.

Security system, and the audio system will cause a small constant draw on the battery. This is the same as any other vehicle (car, truck, or bike).

If your other bikes didn't have those features, that might be the difference.

You didn't mention how long the bike had been sitting without running?
They should be able to sit for at least a month without issues, but that is hard on the battery.

If your battery goes dead in just a week or two, then you probably have a weak battery or an unusual current draw.

Sitting any longer than a few days, its always best to keep it plugged into a battery tender (or other "smart" charger).

Old 12-05-2014, 09:49 AM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a '12 SG. sits for 3 or 4 weeks (not very often though) between starts and have never had a problem.

I'm with some of the above, you didn't mention whether you had security or not. or maybe some other mods. I'm sure you didn't leave the ignition switch on. so for sure a good question. If no other draws on the battery, i would have to go with just a battery that was weak and sat for a while.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:49 AM
Duc
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Mech I like at local HD told me HD started sourcing btry's from diff supplier in 12 and that they had replaced almost every 12 that had came in around 2yr mark. Mine was slow starting and just out of warranty so I went $99 Big Crank vs $200+ for another HD one.

As for the tender my brothers 12 is (3 weeks newer than mine) always plugged in and his left him stranded at work after it slow started in the morn when he left. Shouldn't have ridden once it slow cranked but like many he gambled with a weak btry and lost.

Clif

Old 12-05-2014, 10:55 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

No brainer on the battery tender, you should get 3 to 5 years out of a battery if maintained properly.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Duc
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
No brainer on the battery tender, you should get 3 to 5 years out of a battery if maintained properly.
I agree and disagree.
I've had a btry go 8yrs and 2yrs 1mo and have never owned or used a tender. I'd say def a good idea if your a owner not a rider. If my bike sits 2 weeks it's rare but if yours sits for a month or months like some then good investment for sure.
Clif

Old 12-05-2014, 11:07 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,603 Likes on 980 Posts

HD batteries don't last long - the one in my 2010 RK died in the third season even using a tender over the winters. Cold weather is when you'll start to see weak batteries turn into dead batteries. Joe

Quick Reply: 2012 street glide battery dead???????????