Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discontinued Harleys - if the past

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007 | 12:58 AM
btefft
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Discontinued Harleys - if the past

I'm wondering how many Harley's have come and gone over the years. Are the 6 mentioned on the other thread, just a few more that lived and died? I wonder if every kind of Harley that was over in the showroom was still around, what would the showroom floor look like?

Hack

Old 04-15-2007 | 07:09 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Discontinued Harleys - if the past

FULL, lol

Old 04-15-2007 | 01:46 PM
jbhawley
Road Master

Just as the auto industry phases out certain models so does HD HQ. But you know unless it is a touring bike, i really pay little attention to the new models except for the first look ot two. Seems now all the 'rage' from HD is over the sporsters, you know the black one??? JUst like all the 'rage' was over the v-rods about 5-6 years ago or whenever they came out new. But the vrods were a completely NEW bike not a refit of an old line. As long as HD doesnt mess with the basic styling of the touring bikes I will be ok with whatever they do.

Old 04-18-2007 | 01:10 AM
btefft
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Yep, I agree with you. I want a Harley to look like a Harley, and sound like one, too.

Hack

Old 04-18-2007 | 04:52 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member

If they kept every possible variation, they would need a much fatter brochure. Some models just didn't sell (XLT, XLCR, etc.) and others were meant to be limited (FXB, FXB2, FLSTN "Cowglide" etc.) others were redundant (FXE) or were replaced (FLHS by FLHR, etc.) Chevy doesn't sell BelAirs and Biscaynes anymore neither does Ford Galaxies nor Country Squires. Electra Glide seems redundant seeing every Harley now has an electric leg, but the name is still marketable enough to stick around.

Old 04-18-2007 | 06:51 PM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member

I'd buy a Bad Boy if they brought those back, they're awesome

Old 04-18-2007 | 08:59 PM
IamZardoz
Tourer

The one that should have never been killed was the FXR. Best handling, fastest bike I ever owned. It used the short primary (like the FL) and was rubber mounted.Wayy better than a softail in ride and performance IMO (Ive owned both).The reason they killed it I heard was it was the only bike they made that the primary and tranny had to be assembled with the engine at the York plant due tothe way the frame was made (Id love to hear confirmation of this).Mine was a 93 Superglide, cheaper than any Dyna at the time. Wish I still had it.

Old 04-18-2007 | 09:06 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member

The problem with the FXR was the look of the frame. Not one of HD's better lookin bikes...(IMHO of course!)

Old 04-18-2007 | 09:15 PM
IamZardoz
Tourer

You are right about the exposed shocks, somefolks said they looked like Jap bike frames.It was a conventional frame design but they were selling them alongside softails, dynas ect.... I remember in the mid 90's they came out with those special edition versions with different paint and that had every piece of chrome geegaw from the catalog hanging on them.IMO not a good way to go out. Back to the point, I still believe the design made the bike a better performer and handler than the other models. All IMHO of course!

Old 04-21-2007 | 05:43 PM
btefft
|
Outstanding HDF Member

During what years did HD offer the "Sturgis", was it an 80 CI? Friend of mine had a white one, while I had a Honda 750K. I road it and wanted a Harley ever since. I thought it was a nice looking bike.

Hack

Quick Reply: Discontinued Harleys - if the past