Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE ventilator air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 10:52 AM
harley7316
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default SE ventilator air cleaner

Hi was wondering the filter isnt a K&N element but it can be cleaned was just wondering since it a paper filter how many times can it be cleaned before the paper has had it and the filter has to be replaced?Thx

Old 12-03-2014, 11:17 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

It has a paper filter, but there is a washable style filter available in the P&A catalog.

I washed my paper one once (on my '10 FLHX), but decided to toss it instead of reusing. I just didn't trust the filter after washing.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:43 AM
harley7316
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

it is washable says not oil so i washed it looks fine was just wondering being paper how it holds up against a K&N

Old 12-03-2014, 12:01 PM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Well it does have a limited life. I had mine on my SG for nearly 2 years. It should have been cleaned by the service department when I had my 1K,5K, 10K, etc. services done. At least I hope they did. On my 25K service they wanted to replace that paper filter, but didn't have one in stock. I just went ahead and had them order the K&N filter instead. it wasn't that much more and will last forever...

I will add that the guy that was doing that 25K service washed the filter out with water and ??? before he put it back on. I only remember that because I remember him saying something about hanging it in front of a fan to dry before he put it back on.

Last edited by SilverEagle50; 12-03-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:05 PM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by harley7316
Hi was wondering the filter isnt a K&N element but it can be cleaned was just wondering since it a paper filter how many times can it be cleaned before the paper has had it and the filter has to be replaced?Thx
It's a paper filter, not meant to be washed and reused. Get a K&N it will last a life time, at least as long as you own the bike.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:10 PM
rbferg
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The HD element will be good for a few cleanings, but will not last forever. The K&N will last forever.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:36 PM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rbferg
The HD element will be good for a few cleanings, but will not last forever. The K&N will last forever.
To reiterate, you do NOT wash a paper filter, ever. K&N and their type that are oiled are meant to be washed, properly. Then re-oiled.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:43 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I run the K&N filter elements in all of my bikes...

Old 12-03-2014, 12:47 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 517 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by backplay
To reiterate, you do NOT wash a paper filter, ever. K&N and their type that are oiled are meant to be washed, properly. Then re-oiled.
Well, that might be true in most cases.
And that is the I always looked at it too.

But it says right on the filter element box, that this one can be washed in mild soap & water.
Perhaps this isn't just your standard "paper" filter?

As others have mentioned though, it probably does have a limit to how many times you can wash it and still hold up.
And you do not oil the standard ventilator filter (says that on the filter too).

I have washed mine twice so far and it is still holding up.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:51 PM
rbferg
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can wash the HD Ventilator element rolling it in cleaner/degreaser just like the filter instructions state with no issue. Just let it dry. You can't scrub it like a dirty tire.

Quick Reply: SE ventilator air cleaner