Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 02:39 PM
ron5888
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Tuner?

Hey guys,

I know this topic has been beat to death on here and every other HD forum out there, cause I have read most of them. I'm an old school guy running bobbers and choppers most of my life and my favorite carb was the mikuni 42 mm.

This year I decided my bones were aching to much and I bought a 2008 Street Glide with the 96" engine. It came with a high flow SE breather with Rinehart true dual head pipes and Rinehart 3.5" slip on exhaust, nice little ride and I'm quite enjoying it but as with anything else lol I have to make it mine and doing a few upgrades to the bike.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with the EFI system. I have read just about every review I can find on the SERT, SEPT, Power Vision, Cobra Fi 2000 Pro, Thundermax, TTS Master Tuner, Power Commander and a bunch nobody has ever heard of before. For every tuner out there, there are a multitude of positive and negative reviews and I have kinda gotten lost in all the information.

I think I have come down to 2 choices (maybe lol) which are the Thunder Max autotuner and the TTS Mastertuner.

I know there are a ton of guys on here that have used both and are very well versed in there operation. Being new to the EFI world I would just like some feed back as to which one is the easiest to install with the greatest gains. I can tell you right now I'm not going to have it dyno'd.

I live in northern Canada and I dont have much access to decent performance people (unless I put a diesel engine in the Harley lol) or to even visit these dealers. Even a good comparison between the 2 would help in my decision.

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 11-30-2014, 02:57 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

first thing is to find out if your bike has already been tuned,and with what. since it already has true duals with the stg1 i would hope it at least has the download. unless u plan on doing performance mods one at a time, i would doit all at once and have it dynode with what ever tuner your dyno guy recommends. if your going to do it over time then the auto tune but you'll have a learning curve on how to use it and it can be frustrating.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:01 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,362 Likes on 5,501 Posts

At least Check out the Dynojet Power Vision. Cost effective easy to use does most of what anyone needs even without the wide band 02 sensors you can still auto tune.
Has a lot of extra function you can use it for . You can keep it on the bike and uses the tools, or take it off.
If you do consider one look at Fuel Moto to purchase. They offer twice the factory warranty and an outstand tech support with maps.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=smitty901;13460115]At least Check out the Dynojet Power Vision. Cost effective easy to use does most of what anyone needs even without the wide band 02 sensors you can still auto tune.
Has a lot of extra function you can use it for . You can keep it on the bike and uses the tools, or take it off.
If you do consider one look at Fuel Moto to purchase. They offer twice the factory warranty and an outstand tech support with maps.[/QUOTE

+ 1 on the Powervision. Half the price of the Thunder Max, and you can run auto tunes. Plug it in, load the map and put it away. The nice thing with the Thundermax though, is you actually replace the ECU with it, and it makes adjustments on the fly. The Powervision you have to run autotune sessions by riding with it plugged into your bike. Then remove it and it creats a new MAP. Still a great product Powervision, and the tech support is outstanding.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:36 PM
LKHA
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talk to Jamie at fuel moto he will discuss all options even if you don't buy. If you buy you get free life time support good luck have fun

Old 11-30-2014, 04:39 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,586 Likes on 683 Posts

Check out the Power vision! I love mine.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:34 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

You have two basic choices: learn to tune your bike yourself, or get someone else to tune it for you. If you choose the second, find a decent local tuning shop, talk to them and buy what they recommend. Simples!

If you want a tuner you can work with yourself, you have some learning to do! From what you describe you plan to do, chose a tuner that can alter ignition timing, not just fuelling.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:25 PM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
At least Check out the Dynojet Power Vision. Cost effective easy to use does most of what anyone needs even without the wide band 02 sensors you can still auto tune.
If you do consider one look at Fuel Moto to purchase. They offer twice the factory warranty and an outstand tech support with maps.
Another +1 for this.

Just ordered mine this morning. You can get a $30 discount this week