Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 11:24 PM
muddywaters1954
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty ?

I've got a 2015 SG, I installed Stage I with PCV. Am I still under warranty (as is)? Reason I'm asking....tranny is quite noise'e and is getting worse. Do I have to un-install Stage 1 to have it scooter checked by HD? Thanks Muddy

Old 11-30-2014, 01:09 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

If you did the install, I'd say uninstall it then take it to a dealer and play stoopid!

Old 11-30-2014, 06:52 AM
SoZoomMe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uninstall.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:56 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Just to be safe,remove the tuner and put the stock A/C back on.

That's what I did when my bike encountered electrical issues.
House Of Thunder did the warranty work.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:56 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Unless dealer/service can prove, without any doubt, your upgrades caused the failure...you're good. In this case (motor upgrades w/tranny issue) there should be no problems to worry over.

Have you checked your tranny fluid level & condition lately?

Old 11-30-2014, 09:14 AM
jstrenn
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What kind of noise is the tranny making? If its noisy at idle, but then if you pull in the clutch and it goes away, this is called neutral rattle, and is concidered normal on the 6 speed trannys... There are lots of threads on the forum that talk about this.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:05 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

Under (forgive my spelling) Magnusson-Moss (federal legislation) a manufacturer can't void a whole warranty (well if the vehicle was a total loss they can but I digress) but they can not refuse to cover a warranty repair unless they can prove, in writing, that what you did to the vehicle caused the defect/failure.

The process for them to do that is quite involved. It would be hard for them to prove that a tuner and air cleaner mod caused a transmission failure, especially when the MoCo is allowing the stealerships to stuff Stage 4 kits into bikes at time of purchase and cover the whole driveline including the gearbox under warranty (that kit puts you in the over 100/100 club)

Most dealers won't make a big deal about a tuner and air intake mod... because it is hard for those things to fry an engine... show up with a supercharger and 20 pounds of boost.... that is going to get interesting.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:19 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Usually depends on what mood the Service Mgr. is in that day.Unless you know for sure,uninstall your performance add ons.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:44 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Under (forgive my spelling) Magnusson-Moss (federal legislation) a manufacturer can't void a whole warranty (well if the vehicle was a total loss they can but I digress) but they can not refuse to cover a warranty repair unless they can prove, in writing, that what you did to the vehicle caused the defect/failure.

The process for them to do that is quite involved. It would be hard for them to prove that a tuner and air cleaner mod caused a transmission failure, especially when the MoCo is allowing the stealerships to stuff Stage 4 kits into bikes at time of purchase and cover the whole driveline including the gearbox under warranty (that kit puts you in the over 100/100 club)

Most dealers won't make a big deal about a tuner and air intake mod... because it is hard for those things to fry an engine... show up with a supercharger and 20 pounds of boost.... that is going to get interesting.
Your logic seems sound, it just doesn't always work that way in the real world. Some dealers will spook if the MM act is brought up, others who know their legal obligations and what they can and can't disallow will let you twist in the wind. I've had an experience with an owner of a dealer who more or less laughed at the MM act when it was brought up. He said I was more than welcome to seek any legal action I wanted, until then he wouldn't touch the bike because the powertrain warranty was flagged due to SE255 cams and a SEPST all which were not installed by a Harley dealer.

You have to remember you may be also altering the emissions which is tampering and could land you in hot water and a stiff fine if the Moco or dealer wants to drop a dime on you. If it isn't an EPA legal HD installed product you can be more or less SOL when it comes to performance modifications.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:04 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

I'm not a Lawyer expert in this- so my opinion is worth every penny

1.) you have modified the electronic motor controls- that makes YOU the determiner of how the motor runs, rev limits, air fuel ratios and other characteristics controlled by the ECM. ( even if you have hired someone to tune it for you)

This would void any factory warranty as the factory design specs ( and emissions regs) have likely been over-ridden. ( so goodbye, MM- it doesn;t apply to this situation)

so ,restore to stock if you have a concern

the rule of thumb for many years was to leave the bike as is during the factory warranty period...then do what you want. now that H-D offers 2 years ( rather than 1) this is harder to do...but there is still wisdom is this approach.
( or do the work yourself and be ready to reverse it...although in the 90's we found dealers were logging mods into the computer if a bike went in for service)

Muddy Waters, indeed.

for the next Guy- the aftermarket 3rd party warranties may have very tight exclusion clasues- it's up to you to read the contract.

and

3.) if a dealer says they will take care of the warranty claims if they install your stage 1 - GET that in writing- the dealer connot modifiy the factory warranty, they are stating that they are offering a supplemental- so with that in writing you are covered. as long as it breaks within towing distance of that dealer I suppose.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-30-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Warranty ?